The Student Room Group

The Current Year 13 Thread 2016-2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Keep thinking "you haven't got the grades yet".

Even if you're getting As and Bs during the year, you haven't actually got them.
No problem if your doing a lot of work try breaking it up into little pieces like I'll do this section then mayb take a break then the next section etc etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I imagine myself waking up on results day, reaching for my phone, checking Track, and finding out I've got into whatever university I applied for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aw that's a bummer! I hope you're OK :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I look at revision notes on tumblr which motivates me to revise and make my notes look like that 😊
That's very true :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Not too much though and not for too lunch just till you feel fresh and relaxed again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am a bit unsure about my AS/A Level choices.

So, I want to go into either Medicine (most likely) or Finance (Accountant, Actuary, Investment Banker etc.).

I got all A*s in my GCSEs (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Geography, Spanish, French and Latin) except for English Language and English Literature, in which I got As.

So, for A Levels (well AS this year as soon as I start year 12), I have chosen 5 AS/A Levels:

Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Latin
Spanish

But I have been thinking that these may be a bit too much lately as I am seeing threads with people saying in the past to only take 4. The thing is, for Medicine, I need the Sciences and Maths, but I also really enjoy both languages so I don't know which to drop... is it worth doing all 5 subjects or will it just be too much work? And if I do 5 subjects, will I not get any free periods?

And finally, which language is more useful, Latin, French or Spanish for Medicine/Finance? Should I swap one to Further Maths?

Haha I know there's a lot of questions and I'm starting to really overthink the situation so I would be grateful if someone could help me out.. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zari7861
Hi guys.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am a bit unsure about my AS/A Level choices.

So, I want to go into either Medicine (most likely) or Finance (Accountant, Actuary, Investment Banker etc.).

I got all A*s in my GCSEs (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Geography, Spanish, French and Latin) except for English Language and English Literature, in which I got As.

So, for A Levels (well AS this year as soon as I start year 12), I have chosen 5 AS/A Levels:

Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Latin
Spanish

But I have been thinking that these may be a bit too much lately as I am seeing threads with people saying in the past to only take 4. The thing is, for Medicine, I need the Sciences and Maths, but I also really enjoy both languages so I don't know which to drop... is it worth doing all 5 subjects or will it just be too much work? And if I do 5 subjects, will I not get any free periods?

And finally, which language is more useful, Latin, French or Spanish for Medicine/Finance? Should I swap one to Further Maths?

Haha I know there's a lot of questions and I'm starting to really overthink the situation so I would be grateful if someone could help me out.. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't need to do maths for medicine although it is useful. And I'm not trying to be biased but I think spanish would be very useful. As a language I would say it's popular although french also but I would say spanish is easier. Swapping one out doesn't make things any easier and if you don't like further maths as much as the languages you won't do as well

I do suggest you do four for reals but just see how you cope and then decide if you can handle it
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
You don't need to do maths for medicine although it is useful. And I'm not trying to be biased but I think spanish would be very useful. As a language I would say it's popular although french also but I would say spanish is easier. Swapping one out doesn't make things any easier and if you don't like further maths as much as the languages you won't do as well

I do suggest you do four for reals but just see how you cope and then decide if you can handle it

Thanks for your help... And would you say Latin is useful for Medicine? And haha I enjoy Maths just as much as languages 😂😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
:eek4: Just submitted my UCAS application erhmahgerddddd :eek4:

Spoiler

Reply 231
Anyone doing an EPQ this year? Completing one in my gap year, looking to find something anthropological.
Interested to see what others may be doing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zari7861
Hi guys.

Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Latin
Spanish

5 AS levels is a lot of work, but you could always just try it out and see how it goes, then drop one if you want to (presuming your school lets you do that). You will get frees, just not as many as your friends, and frees are pretty much essential to keeping on top of your workload. If you think you can manage with doing a lot of your homework at home then go ahead with 5.

Languages for medicine... Aren't a lot of the medical terms based on Latin? Like I only know this from reading interviews with Casualty actors so it's not very reliable but it might make things easier to remember for you if you do Latin. That being said, Latin is a dead language. So it really depends on whether you want a language you can use to talk to people and stuff or a language that's more of a building block, if that makes sense.

Good luck this year by the way, regardless of what you choose to do :smile:

Original post by nzbe
Anyone doing an EPQ this year? Completing one in my gap year, looking to find something anthropological.

Yeah I'm going to do one on the Japanese national anthem and whether it accurately reflects the national identity of the Japanese people :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nzbe

Posted from TSR Mobile

Completely unrelated to what you're planning on doing, but my question for my EPQ is "Why do all countries not use the same legal system?" ^^
I start Year 13 this week!!! Crazy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Steliata
5 AS levels is a lot of work, but you could always just try it out and see how it goes, then drop one if you want to (presuming your school lets you do that). You will get frees, just not as many as your friends, and frees are pretty much essential to keeping on top of your workload. If you think you can manage with doing a lot of your homework at home then go ahead with 5.

Languages for medicine... Aren't a lot of the medical terms based on Latin? Like I only know this from reading interviews with Casualty actors so it's not very reliable but it might make things easier to remember for you if you do Latin. That being said, Latin is a dead language. So it really depends on whether you want a language you can use to talk to people and stuff or a language that's more of a building block, if that makes sense.

Good luck this year by the way, regardless of what you choose to do :smile:

Yeah I'm going to do one on the Japanese national anthem and whether it accurately reflects the national identity of the Japanese people :smile:

Thank you! Yeah so I think I'm going to begin with 5 and then if I find it too much, I will drop a language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thevamps99xo
I start Year 13 this week!!! Crazy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you start tomorrow? :h:
I start on Tuesday, and I sort of can't wait to start, but I'm sort of dreading it :eek:
Original post by Gogregg
I start on Tuesday, and I sort of can't wait to start, but I'm sort of dreading it :eek:

I start on Thursday, but I have to go to school on Wednesday to pick up my timetable and get important information! And same,I'm dreading it as its our last year of school!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gogregg

Me, too! I really need to make sure I get good grades, and I'm already all kinds of stressed about how I'm going to turn my grades around. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thevamps99xo
I start on Thursday, but I have to go to school on Wednesday to pick up my timetable and get important information! And same,I'm dreading it as its our last year of school!
Posted from TSR Mobile

I heard that my school is using the same timetable as last year for my year, and i really hope it is...
It means we're applying to university and whatnot and it's dead scary, but we'll manage it, maybe :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest