The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's pretty Draconian IMO.

BMI isn't a reliable indicator anyway, plenty of "overweight" people are just muscular.
Original post by JamesN88

BMI isn't a reliable indicator anyway, plenty of "overweight" people are just muscular.

Yeah but obese people are generally fat mother****ers.
Reply 3
Two simple things they can do

Stop smoking
Stop eating crap and go for a run!
wtf?
Ah, socialized medicine.

Oh great, I have muscles I never knew I had, only joking. I take your point on the BMI.
Original post by Sabertooth
Ah, socialized medicine.

It's like our Second Amendment. :smile:
Good thing I finally got my BMI to 30
Good, I support that ban.
It's like our Second Amendment. :smile:

More like your golden calf.
To be honest, I'm vehemently against the privatisation of the NHS and fear what may follow if the public allows this to happen. Higher tobacco tax and fat tax that goes straight into funding the NHS is probably a better solution.

I know that people make their own choices and others may object to having a "nanny state" but private healthcare will hurt everyone.
Reply 12
Original post by Sabertooth
More like your golden calf.
Fatted calf Shirley?

part of me agrees in principle, and the other part thinks *come on*!?
Original post by Mathemagicien
Perhaps we should issue cannabis to smokers and fatties; I'm sure their addictions can be easily replaced with an even stronger drug addiction.

Tbh it's particularly harsh on smokers, they pay their fair share in taxes on tobacco for the demand they create.
Good news. I don't want my money to go towards a fat person's eating addiction.
(edited 7 years ago)
A step in the right direction. The taxpayer shouldn't have to pay for people's bad habits and poor lifestyle choices.

People should be paying for more of their own healthcare and taking more responsibility for themselves.
I read in the News this morning that this decision is now under review.
The problem is, it's easy to say that every obese person is that way through poor eating choices - but there are those people who have glandular issues, or things like pcos, that can make it harder to lose weight. I fear that people who genuinely have it harder could be ignored here...

I also think people would be more offended if the NHS refused to treat girls with anorexia or bulimia until they reach a healthy BMI, and seeing as they're all eating disorders... etc.

I don't like it, and I mostly just hate the fact that money is so tight the NHS has to operate like this, and there are still people complaining about tax. It's sad, I think....
It makes perfect sense, tbh; if you are obese or a smoker, it increases your chance of dying on the table dramatically. Moreover, how are you going to recover from a knee or hip operation (what the ban is currently covering) well if you're putting said joints under two tonnes of pressure every time you go to the toilet, for example?

Latest

Trending

Trending