The Student Room Group

sitting an exam in a gap year - do i go through clearing?

As i sort of messed up my AS results getting UED, my college will not let me repeat a year - my only option is to finish my A2 year of the subjects i got E and D in by resitting exams and picking up a new AS in september as i failed one of my subjects.

My college will not allow me to take the route of finishing the new AS by doing an A2 in another year along with having to pick up new AS's. Not many unis want me if i only end up with 2 and a half a levels.

Therefore, I have decided that i will do a gap year to work part time and to teach myself either a new AS or the A2 of the subject i am picking up in September.

My questions are:

Is there any point in me writing a personal statement when i finish my second year when all i can put forward is 2 and a half a levels or is there a way to mention that i am teaching myself the A2 of a subject in a gap year?

Or shall I just go through clearing after my gap year when i have the result of the A2 i taught myself and sat privately? (or do both?)
Original post by Anishax___
As i sort of messed up my AS results getting UED, my college will not let me repeat a year - my only option is to finish my A2 year of the subjects i got E and D in by resitting exams and picking up a new AS in september as i failed one of my subjects.

My college will not allow me to take the route of finishing the new AS by doing an A2 in another year along with having to pick up new AS's. Not many unis want me if i only end up with 2 and a half a levels.

Therefore, I have decided that i will do a gap year to work part time and to teach myself either a new AS or the A2 of the subject i am picking up in September.

My questions are:

Is there any point in me writing a personal statement when i finish my second year when all i can put forward is 2 and a half a levels or is there a way to mention that i am teaching myself the A2 of a subject in a gap year?

Or shall I just go through clearing after my gap year when i have the result of the A2 i taught myself and sat privately? (or do both?)

I would say do a thrid year to finish the AS privately and then apply then.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I would say do a thrid year to finish the AS privately and then apply then.

Well that's what I'd be doing in a gap year anyway, I don't want to be deferring uni for 2 years
Well that's what I'd be doing in a gap year anyway, I don't want to be deferring uni for 2 years

Oh i see, applying through clearing once you have grades could be a better idea.
Reply 4
Oh i see, applying through clearing once you have grades could be a better idea.

Say if I wanted to get into Nottingham uni, is it hard to get into through clearing?
Say if I wanted to get into Nottingham uni, is it hard to get into through clearing?

depends on the course
Reply 6
depends on the course

Economics?

Quick Reply

Latest