The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by physicsmaths
Why would people at Homerton want it lol?
I thought we literally only need it for graduation?

People like to wear them for formals, matriculation dinner and stuff. I literally have only worn mine for Harry Potter formal :tongue:

Yeah you'll need one for graduation but I'm not sure if it's the undergrad gown or the grad one?
Hey everyone, I know I'm not a 2016 fresher anymore but I have a question for you all.

I recently bought a Pembroke College scarf:

https://www.ryderamies.co.uk/shop/pembroke-crested-scarf/

(Yeah, I know the price was :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:)

However, a certain @vincrows reliably informs me that to wear such a thing would be the ultimate faux pas!

Do any current Cambridge students wear their college scarf?

I'd only ever wear the scarf. I have no intention of buying any of the other tourist directed Cambridge apparel that seems to be available.
Original post by alow
Yeah go for it. Make sure you get the right one though :tongue:

Haha I'll read through the info properly

Snape cape here I come
Original post by Serine Soul
Should I just order my gown online??
It's working out to be cheaper from Ryder & Aimes than my college discount :confused:

There's another outfitter for Cambridge college gowns and theirs is more expensive (but better quality) than R & A's. But almost all students I know got theirs from R & A (or their college sold theirs at the beginning of the fresher's week).
It's all black, and they're mostly drunk when they're wearing it at formals :tongue:, so nobody cares (or notice) about the quality of gowns others wear. :biggrin:

But JCR usually sell second-hand gowns they got from graduates at much cheaper price, so that's another option.
Reply 984
Original post by Platopus
Hey everyone, I know I'm not a 2016 fresher anymore but I have a question for you all.

I recently bought a Pembroke College scarf:

https://www.ryderamies.co.uk/shop/pembroke-crested-scarf/

(Yeah, I know the price was :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:)

However, a certain @vincrows reliably informs me that to wear such a thing would be the ultimate faux pas!

Do any current Cambridge students wear their college scarf?

I'd only ever wear the scarf. I have no intention of buying any of the other tourist directed Cambridge apparel that seems to be available.

Some people do. College stuff isn't nearly as bad as Cambridge logos.

I have a Cambridge hoodie exclusively for wearing outside Cambridge 😛
I don't need one do I?

You need to wear it for formals.
And if you're planning to go to Christmas formal, it's very difficult to borrow one because most students'd go.

Also, if you're thinking of joining cricket club, it's very likely they have formals and swaps, so you'll need a gown for that too.
Original post by alow

Great. I don't want to look like an eejit but the scarfs are so nice!
Original post by alow

Cambridge hoodie (or other clothings/etc exclusively for being worn by outsiders. :tongue:

Some students wear them.....but it looks so wrong.........;p
Reply 988
Original post by vincrows
Cambridge hoodie (or other clothings/etc exclusively for being worn by outsiders. :tongue:

Yeah... when you see someone in one it's like they've painted "TOURIST" on their back :tongue:
There's another outfitter for Cambridge college gowns and theirs is more expensive (but better quality) than R & A's. But almost all students I know got theirs from R & A (or their college sold theirs at the beginning of the fresher's week).
It's all black, and they're mostly drunk when they're wearing it at formals :tongue:, so nobody cares (or notice) about the quality of gowns others wear. :biggrin:

But JCR usually sell second-hand gowns they got from graduates at much cheaper price, so that's another option.

Yeah I think the other outfitters doing them for £45, Newnham will be doing it for £38, and Ryder and Amies are doing it for £30.
Haha I'm sure you can't really tell the difference between quality anyway! Besides, I'm pretty used to poor quality clothes, it's fine
Original post by alow
Yeah... when you see someone in one it's like they've painted "TOURIST" on their back :tongue:

.....and front. :biggrin:

Also......I'm not very ecstatic about the gradual increase in the number of students who wear an academic's cap for graduation ceremony....... (mostly international students???)
Probably they've seen photos of throwing a cap at other uni's graduation, but it doesn't happen at Cambridge and it looks so out of place......

Please promise you won't!!
Original post by Serine Soul
Yeah I think the other outfitters doing them for £45, Newnham will be doing it for £38, and Ryder and Amies are doing it for £30.
Haha I'm sure you can't really tell the difference between quality anyway! Besides, I'm pretty used to poor quality clothes, it's fine

Yeah, probably Newnham gets it from the expensive one (Forgot the name....).
I mean, you only wear it a few times a term, at most.
My daughter probably wore it more than average because she went to quite a few formals, but no wear & tear at all after 3 years. :smile:
And check with JCR if they have any second-hand ones for sale. Because it really doesn't get worn, the quality should be quite good, too.
Reply 992
.....and front. :biggrin:

Also......I'm not very ecstatic about the gradual increase in the number of students who wear an academic's cap for graduation ceremony....... (mostly international students???)
Probably they've seen photos of throwing a cap at other uni's graduation, but it doesn't happen at Cambridge and it looks so out of place......

Please promise you won't!!

I won't. I'm looking forward to putting the white tie and fur lined hood on though!
Original post by alow
I won't. I'm looking forward to putting the white tie and fur lined hood on though!

It seems the white tie demands some sort of skill and lots of patient to put it on properly.......
Well, you have two years to practice it. :biggrin:

The hood is a bit expensive to hire, just for a few weeks.

And pray it won't be the hottest day of the year on your graduation day!

Even the scarfs? Sniff :frown: I like mine so much. I will never trust another word my mum says. She assured me that wearing your college's scarf was normal practise during her time at the other place, back in the day. Grrr.
I bet I'm sexist now aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM
Even the scarfs? Sniff :frown: I like mine so much. I will never trust another word my mum says. She assured me that wearing your college's scarf was normal practise during her time at the other place, back in the day. Grrr.

University scarf? Unless you're a blue, yes......
But college scarves are fine. Many students wears it. :smile:
University scarf? Unless you're a blue, yes......
But college scarves are fine. Many students wears it. :smile:

So, my Pembroke College scarf would be OK?

Because it's so preeettttyyyyyyy
So, my Pembroke College scarf would be OK?

Because it's so preeettttyyyyyyy

As long as it's genuine Pembroke design, that's fine. :smile:
As long as it's genuine Pembroke design, that's fine. :smile:

PRSOM
You have made me very happy, thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest