The Student Room Group

How do you get an A* at Maths A2???

Hello. I recently did my AS levels and got my results (awful). Fortunately, I got an A for Maths doing C1, C2 and S1. I got 241 UMS marks. Next year I will be doing C3, C4, M1 and S2 (extra module).

Just wandering, is it possible to get an A* in maths with 241 UMS marks. My teachers have told me that if you get a greater amount of UMS points for your first year modules, you can get less marks for C3 and C4, if I'm making any sense.

But I would like to have some clarification upon this matter.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jozanic
Hello. I recently did my AS levels and got my results (awful). Fortunately, I got an A for Maths doing C1, C2 and S1. I got 241 UMS marks. Next year I will be doing C3, C4, M1 and S2 (extra module).

Just wandering, is it possible to get an A* in maths with 241 UMS marks. My teachers have told me that if you get a greater amount of UMS points for your first year modules, you can get less marks for C3 and C4, if I'm making any sense.

The truth about getting an A* at Maths A level is... it's really weird. In a nutshell you need 480UMS across all 6 modules - and 180UMS across C3 and C4. Why do you need the highest scores in the hardest modules? Don't ask me, ask the C4 exam I'm resitting next year.
Original post by Jozanic

For an A* You need 480 ums in total that includes 180 ums from C3+4
Better ums from AS would have made the 480 ums easier to achieve with less pressure on your second applications unit but it is still very possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Jozanic

Yes it's possible.

You have 241 UMS.

You need to get a minimum of 180 UMS across C3 and C4 combined now.

Assuming you scrape the 180 in those two modules, you then need 59 UMS in one of your other two units to get the A*.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jozanic

AS UMS doesn't matter hugely. The conditions for an A* are:

1. 480+ UMS in total across all 6 units (so you need 239 from C3, C4 and either M1 or S2, whichever is higher)
2. 180+ UMS in total between C3 and C4.

So if you got 181 UMS for example between C3 and C4, then youwould just need (239-181) = 68 UMS in your applied unit.
Original post by EndlessDietCoke
The truth about getting an A* at Maths A level is... it's really weird. In a nutshell you need 480UMS across all 6 modules - and 180UMS across C3 and C4. Why do you need the highest scores in the hardest modules? Don't ask me, ask the C4 exam I'm resitting next year.

For all unreformed uk A levels you need the best ums from the hardest (A2) modules to get an A*, nothing weird about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
For all unreformed uk A levels you need the best ums from the hardest (A2) modules to get an A*, nothing weird about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, it's the only unreformed A level I'm doing so it stands out to me
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
Yes it's possible.

You have 241 UMS.

You need to get a minimum of 180 UMS across C3 and C4 combined now.

Assuming you scrape the 180 in those two modules, you then need 59 UMS in one of your other two units to get the A*.

Ahhhhh it makes sense now. But what if I get for example 160 across C3 and C4 but get 90+ UMS in either of my two other modules?
Reply 8
Original post by Jozanic
Ahhhhh it makes sense now. But what if I get for example 160 across C3 and C4 but get 90+ UMS in either of my two other modules?

Then you get an A, but not an A*.
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
Then you get an A, but not an A*.

That's very annoying XD But thanks anyway.
Reply 10
Original post by Jozanic
That's very annoying XD But thanks anyway.

A*'s in maths are too easy as it is, removing that 180 UMS in C34 would make it waaaaaay too easy to get. :tongue:
Original post by SeanFM
AS UMS doesn't matter hugely. The conditions for an A* are:

1. 480+ UMS in total across all 6 units (so you need 239 from C3, C4 and either M1 or S2, whichever is higher)
2. 180+ UMS in total between C3 and C4.

So if you got 181 UMS for example between C3 and C4, then youwould just need (239-181) = 68 UMS in your applied unit.

You mean 58 UMS :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chittesh14
You mean 58 UMS :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths is not my strongest subject :colondollar: well spotted.
Original post by SeanFM
Maths is not my strongest subject :colondollar: well spotted.

And still doing maths at uni haha... :colondollar:
Dw, you're still a legend.
Don't worry about your UMS I got 251 ums at AS and just got an A* at A level
I got 300 UMS in maths, does that mean I can completely neglect my applied module and focus solely on C3 and C4? If I can get the A* in maths like this, will unis care if for example I get 50 UMS in the applied module?
Original post by Vanilla Poison
I got 300 UMS in maths, does that mean I can completely neglect my applied module and focus solely on C3 and C4? If I can get the A* in maths like this, will unis care if for example I get 50 UMS in the applied module?

They won't really care but I don't see why you should do that. If you have the ability to go free of mistakes and have the talent to get full UMS in all your AS modules. I'm almost 90% sure you can replicate it in A2 but at least 270 UMS. Remember, Cambridge and top universities want high UMS averages and that'd just ruin it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They won't really care but I don't see why you should do that. If you have the ability to go free of mistakes and have the talent to get full UMS in all your AS modules. I'm almost 90% sure you can replicate it in A2 but at least 270 UMS. Remember, Cambridge and top universities want high UMS averages and that'd just ruin it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see, thank you! Yeah I hope to try my best across all modules, it just seemed funny that I could theoretically get no UMS in a module and come out with an A*.
Original post by Vanilla Poison
Ah I see, thank you! Yeah I hope to try my best across all modules, it just seemed funny that I could theoretically get no UMS in a module and come out with an A*.

Yeah, but that's if you get 180 UMS across C3 and C4 :wink: which can be hard but you don't seem to make mistakes lmao so I'm sure you can get it. Good luck, I want to see you achieving 600 UMS in A-level maths, use that as your motivation lol.

What modules did you take for AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, but that's if you get 180 UMS across C3 and C4 :wink: which can be hard but you don't seem to make mistakes lmao so I'm sure you can get it. Good luck, I want to see you achieving 600 UMS in A-level maths, use that as your motivation lol.

What modules did you take for AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thanks man!
AS Maths: C1, C2, & S1
AS FM: FP1, M1, & M2

Quick Reply

Latest