The Student Room Group

The Current Year 13 Thread 2016-2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BR1999
I want high predicted grades because it really motivates me, but i think I'm going to be predicted AAA :frown: (Don't get me wrong they're good predictions), but I'm applying to do law and this is basically the bare minimum entry requirements.

But I'm really excited where ever i go, i can't wait for the freedom :h:

Me too, though I will die if I cannot get an en suite haha accomodation is everything. They are good! As long as they meet the requirements for the course you want to apply for at the unis you like its all good
Original post by isabella1999
5/6 years for me lol and it would be exciting if it was not for the fact that 67% of all medicine applicants get four rejections, ahhh

What!!!! I really hope that you don't get rejected :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thevamps99xo
What!!!! I really hope that you don't get rejected :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

IKR it is mad and some unis are even worse (I think bristol had like 1 acceptance for every 17 applications last year). I hope not either, need all the hope I can get :frown: Though If I do not get in first time, decided I will take a gap year (if I get good A2 results) do loads of work experience, make the perfect PS etc and try again. If I am rejected AGAIN then I think the medicine dream is over and I will just take my 5th choice
IKR it is mad and some unis are even worse (I think bristol had like 1 acceptance for every 17 applications last year). I hope not either, need all the hope I can get :frown: Though If I do not get in first time, decided I will take a gap year (if I get good A2 results) do loads of work experience, make the perfect PS etc and try again. If I am rejected AGAIN then I think the medicine dream is over and I will just take my 5th choice

That sounds like a good plan :smile: I hope that dream comes true for you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That sounds like a good plan :smile: I hope that dream comes true for you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Hope you get into the course you want too! :smile:
Original post by BR1999
I just charm them with some banter :biggrin::biggrin:

Wish I could do this but I'm not even funny :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BR1999
Good luck :biggrin:, what subject are you wanting to drop?

Ah thanks! I did want to drop Chinese because it's my worst grade but they said it has to be either English or RS (I decided to drop RS) because they don't work together on the timetable... As you can imagine I'm quite annoyed since I'm not sure if I can do well enough in Chinese but that's the way it is!
Really not looking forward to going back tomorrow :frown:
Something tells me that I won't be keeping my empty Thursday's (aka the only day I could actually sit and do work without the interruption of lessons or people).

I'm going to go to my head of sixth tomorrow and see if she'll let me drop my EPQ. I've tried writing it but it's just going nowhere - I've made the effort at least and can provide my essay if she questions my reasoning (honestly this essay is worse than my classics exam).

Not to mention this is going to be an awful term of sorting out UCAS/Personal Statements - my tutor has me down as BCC on predictions yet on my report I'm predicted ABB so I'm going to have to talk to her about changing that BCC to the ABB, plus my classics teacher has me predicted as a B and my law teacher has me predicted at as an A/A* (sorting that this week hopefully).

Ah, the stress is kicking in all ready :redface:
I started two weeks ago!! Hey guys, I think I'll join in this thread if that's okay. :tongue:

Anyone doing any of these subjects?

English Language
English Literature
History

(also doing an EPQ!)
Original post by GabbytheGreek_48
Wish I could do this but I'm not even funny :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahahahah :biggrin:, it's took years for me to become even mildly funny :tongue:, my teacher starts it, so i just dish it back out :redface:
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I started two weeks ago!! Hey guys, I think I'll join in this thread if that's okay. :tongue:

English Language
English Literature
History

(also doing an EPQ!)

Welcome to this thread! I'm doing Lang and lit combined if that helps, and I'm doing an EPQ too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Welcome to this thread! I'm doing Lang and lit combined if that helps, and I'm doing an EPQ too!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, nice one! What's the combined lit and lang like? I do them separately, as you can see. Too much English! :frown:

What's your EPQ about? :h:
Oh, nice one! What's the combined lit and lang like? I do them separately, as you can see. Too much English! :frown:

What's your EPQ about? :h:

In Year 12 I studied Frankenstein and the Mean Time anthology of poems by Carol Ann Duffy for the literature section. I found Frankenstein quite hard at the start because of the lexical choices used (this is what sixth form has done to me) but I soon started to get to grips with it. The poems were okay, I'd already studied one in Year 11 for GCSE, so that was all well and good. For the language part I had a Paris anthology where we had to read lots of texts and explore genre, audience and purpose alongside many linguistic features :redface: overall I found it quite hard in Year 12, I even wanted to drop it at one point, but couldn't as I was only doing 3 AS levels :redface:

In Year 13 it looks more interesting. We do coursework which I'm so excited for!! We study the Great Gatsby and A Streetcar Named Desire!! I've been reading both over the summer and bought the study guide for Streetcar, and they're really interesting! Then we have to go over what we learned in Year 12, as AS content pops up in the final A level exams. I'm excited for it, I think I'll enjoy it more than last year :biggrin:

For EPQ I'm looking at how autism is portrayed in television and how it has helped people to understand it. I have autism myself, so it's really interesting seeing how different the portrayals are. I'm dreading the presentation part though :frown: even though I'm getting better at standing up in front of the class and doing presentations by myself, it's still scary :frown: I'll get through it though, it'll be worth it when I get a good grade. What are you doing in yours?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, that's interesting! It sounds similar to what I do in my courses.

In year 12, we studied purposes, audience, context, grammar, pragmatics, etc etc in English Language. In Literature, we studied A Streetcar Named Desire (feel free to ask me if you need any help or advice, I've done that text to death!), 1984, Paradise Lost, and Hamlet.

In year 13, we are doing Language Acquisition in English Language as well as the development of the actual English Language (I am really looking forward to that because I'm a History nut). For English Literature, we are doing the same texts but swapping Streetcar for the handmaids tale.

Oh that's really interesting! I have autism too, actually. :smile: (Aspergers syndrome is my diagnosis). My EPQ is about to what extent did enlightenment ideas and French Philosophers cause the French Revolution!

English Language
English Literature
History

(also doing an EPQ!)

I'm doing Lit and History, what texts are you studying /topics in history ?

English Language
English Literature
History

(also doing an EPQ!)

I'm doing Lit and EPQ :smile:
I have Aspergers myself, so it's nice to talk to others who can relate :smile: your courses sound really interesting, I wanted to take literature on its own but the head of sixth form suggested I do the combined instead ! Your EPQ sounds really interesting

Posted from TSR Mobile
I start on Thursday, but I have to go to school on Wednesday to pick up my timetable and get important information! And same,I'm dreading it as its our last year of school!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm starting on the 18th :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OnTheHorizon

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my gosh!!!!, :biggrin: :biggrin: you must have a long summer....

Posted from TSR Mobile
True that, I wish I went to a school in which everyone lives locally, only seen like 5 friends this summer as they are the only ones who live in like a 5-10 mile radius :s-smilie:

Same! If i do want to see anyone, the public transport costs are so expensive! Can't wait until i can just drive to see people :s-smilie:
I hate that statistic :lol: I like to think in applying smart, but what if I'm not, you know? I'm trying my best...
I'll do the same thing, I think. My fifth choice will probably be chiropractic...

Original post by OnTheHorizon

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's so late :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest