The Student Room Group

How many lectures do you actually attend?

what uni do you go to?
what course do you do?
Maths at Bath.

First year, both semesters were 21 hours + 2 hours of languages.

Second year first semester, same as above but with 2 hours extra for some 'placements developments sessions' that was compulsory for anyone doing a placement though one of my friends never went and seems to not have got into trouble for it :lol:

Second semester was 14 hours (16 hours every otherweek due to two fortnightly tutorials) so that was nice.

In terms of how many I actually attended... to be honest, there were always a few lectures that I could not find the motivation to go to, which wasn't great, eg a 6 o'clock seminar or a 9 o'clock lecture where the next lecture is at 3 o'clock, and it's so awful when you feel sleepy and can't focus in a lecture :hide:
I gave up on lectures after a month of uni. Utterly useless.

Luckily all the content in future years was classroom based.
Oxford. Didn't go to any of them after the first year. Still came out with a 2:1 innit blood!
Did Civil Engineering at Imperial in first year, missed tons of lectures and didn't pass

Now do it at Strathclyde, I still missed quite a lot, but passed this time. Really gotta try and go in as much as I can this year :frown:

But yeah I miss way too much. At Imperial there was one module that I didn't go to at all one semester and still have no clue who my lecturer was for it.
Too many
Reply 6
I try to attend all my lectures, always a fear of missing something that was said in lecture but not written on the slides.
I studied Filmmaking & Screenwriting at UWS. I only actively attended in third year but we were in 9hrs a week the first semester and 12hrs the second semester.

Fourth year was 9hrs a week both semesters, but I skipped most classes due to a combination of health issues and doubts about my degree choice. I ended up on medical leave for 6 months before leaving the uni altogether to study science at HNC level. Being in class 16hrs a week now feels brutal in comparison.
I am doing an BSc Health and Social care and I am on my 4th and 5th module and I roughly do about 16 hours on my course :smile:

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending
Reply 9
My attendance was probably close to 30% and monitored lol. I pretty much saw no point in lectures and preferred sleeping and chilling in my flat. I called it "distance learning". I'm still shocked that they didn't reprimand me for my abysmal attendance. I think It was because I got good marks in my january exams. Gonna actually start attending this year though since things get more difficult/interesting.
Original post by jaffacakes101
what uni do you go to?
what course do you do?

I went to nearly all of them. And I was one of the few that did, at Derby joint honours. Sociology and theatre studies.
what uni do you go to?
what course do you do?

Cardiff Medicine,

I went to 95% of my lectures, I dont find them a particularly great way to learn, but i find I can go over the information from the lecture and understand it much quicker when studying or writing up notes later on once I have attended it and have a recording of it.

I missed a few lectures due to illness, and the rest I missed because the lecturer literally read off the slide and I could read it in my own time back at my flat.

I wouldnt advise to miss lectures, but you can do well if you miss a couple.
what uni do you go to?
what course do you do?

Hello :smile:,

I study at Bishop Grosseteste University in Lincoln and study Drama in the Community. Throughout all my two years (and now third) I am in three days a week, though the hours across the days vary.

:biggrin:
All of them - what's the point paying all that money in fees and then not getting your moneys worth? Might as well make the most of it while you're there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going to put in more effort in attending seminars and lectures more this semester. Apparently those who go get higher grades.
Feel like lectures will kill me tbh
Original post by Dominoes
I'm going to put in more effort in attending seminars and lectures more this semester. Apparently those who go get higher grades.

true

Quick Reply

Latest