The Student Room Group

A level maths or pure maths for engineeeing

Hey guys, I wanted to ask if universities will accept their entry requirements to engineering be Pure maths and physics instead of maths and physics? I mean will universities accept that I did edexcel pure maths (C1,2,3,4,FP1,2) instead of edexcel maths?
Reply 1
Original post by Apdhillon15
Hey guys, I wanted to ask if universities will accept their entry requirements to engineering be Pure maths and physics instead of maths and physics? I mean will universities accept that I did edexcel pure maths (C1,2,3,4,FP1,2) instead of edexcel maths?

Good uni's probably won't, why are you trying to avoid mechanics units if you're going for an engineering degree, anyhow?
Reply 2
The thing is that our school doesnt teach mechanics coz the books are currently out of stock in hong kong and if we order from outside we're gonna get them even more expensive so the school decided to just do C1-4 and FP1 with either FP2 OR FP3. But then I also wanted to ask that if I did pure maths, wouldnt that make me a good applicant coz most of the universities require further maths which includes fp1-3 and I will be doing those so wont I have a higher chance?
Reply 3
The thing is that our school doesnt teach mechanics coz the books are currently out of stock in hong kong and if we order from outside we're gonna get them even more expensive so the school decided to just do C1-4 and FP1 with either FP2 OR FP3. But then I also wanted to ask that if I did pure maths, wouldnt that make me a good applicant coz most of the universities require further maths which includes fp1-3 and I will be doing those so wont I have a higher chance?

No, they don't look at your modules in that much (if any) detail. You'd be better off emailing a list of prospective unis with your situation.

My personal advice would be to suck it up and self-teach M1 and M2 or M1 and S1 (very easy to do).
Reply 4
Nah I dont really wanna teach myself M1 and M2. Well then my only other option would be to do CIE P1,3,M1 and S1. I did my IGCSE with CIE and got an A*. But I'm not sure about A level maths it seems pretty hard (the CIE one).
Nah I dont really wanna teach myself M1 and M2. Well then my only other option would be to do CIE P1,3,M1 and S1. I did my IGCSE with CIE and got an A*. But I'm not sure about A level maths it seems pretty hard (the CIE one).

Im sorry to say but without M1,M2 ur gonna have a tough time at uni if ur choosing an engineering degree. Tbh i always recommend any engineers to atleast take upto M3, which uni ur planing to apply ?
Reply 6
I want to apply to university college london for a MSCI in Medical Physics

CIE is harder than Edexcel as the questions are less formulaic/predictable and more about testing your true understanding, but the course is certainly perfectly doable for someone with ability and passion for the subject.
Reply 8
Do you think I have the potential of doing CIE?? I mean like I've done soem questions from CIE and they're not hard as they seen but the grade boundaries have been seeming to be increasing each year.
Do you think I have the potential of doing CIE?? I mean like I've done soem questions from CIE and they're not hard as they seen but the grade boundaries have been seeming to be increasing each year.

I don't know enough about your ability and past mathematical experience to make a judgment about that. The best person to ask is your mathematics teacher.
Reply 10
Well, I've always been proud myself of being exceptional at mathematics. I got full marks for the igcse mathematics from CIE this year.
Reply 11
You'll be fine. Just tell them your school doesn't offer the mechanics modules, but that you've got the book and will self-teach in summer. If you get in, buy the books and have a quick read. It's really not a big deal.

If its medical physics id suggest you to go and self study M1 and m2, BUT i dnt think they would need it, their requirements are AAA~AAB(maths and physics compulsory) so are you cofident in achieving that (with A in maths) ? Good luck
Well, I've always been proud myself of being exceptional at mathematics. I got full marks for the igcse mathematics from CIE this year.

In that case just do CIE is my advice.
Reply 14
I do believe I can get an A in math, but then how about I do CIE P1,M1,P3 and S1???
I do believe I can get an A in math, but then how about I do CIE P1,M1,P3 and S1???

Yes, that's a valid combination.

Quick Reply

Latest