The Student Room Group

Junior doctor strike is disgraceful

These scummy doctors think they can just strike and get away with it. disgusting they knew what they were getting into so they shoudnt have signed up for it they just want to milk more money off us

Scroll to see replies

Original post by controversialone
These scummy doctors think they can just strike and get away with it. disgusting they knew what they were getting into so they shoudnt have signed up for it they just want to milk more money off us

Not really. Every one has a right to withdraw their labour.

If the deal on offer isnt good enough they will leave anyway, which is what droves of them are doing.
I think they shud man up and do what they are paid for
Blame Jeremy Hunt for screwing with the system. Mind you, I have heard many theories that this is meant to try and increase support for privitisation, by turning the public against the NHS. Then again, this has all the hallmarks of insane conspiracy theory, on the other hand C(H)unt has written a book about his support for privitisation.
I support the doctors wholeheartedly. They deserve better than to have their pay cut when they save lives everyday, while bankers who screw everyone get another tax break.
Original post by controversialone
I think they shud man up and do what they are paid for

70% sure he's trolling
I think it is poor that they have bombarded the system with with these few months of strikes without any prep leaving all the other staff members covering for them and many operations being postponed.
But I have to agree that the contract being proposed is not fair on the doctors. Tbh they are not being paid well for the amount of work they do. Obvs they shouldn't have got into the commitment if money was what they wanted, but extending their 'day' to more antisocial hrs can affect their performance etc.
I'll just have to see what happens
I agree. It's all about the money, and a lot of the people of the top have an inate hatred for the Tories, so want to make them look bad.

If it's for greater funds for a 7 day NHS, why do they also want a non-proportional pay rise?
Are these the same scummy doctors that you'll beg for help from when you or a family member need it?
If I was a Junior Doctor I'd be on the first plane to Australia.
Original post by ValerieKR
70% sure he's trolling

I agree. It's a shame they removed negative reps on TSR for trolls like that guy.
I think it's a shame it's gone this far... it's going to be hard for either side to back down now and there has to be a solution, we can't just not have doctors. I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for getting extra pay for unsociable hours and so on, I've worked unsociable hours for the same/similar pay and so on... but I do think that the issue around safe working hours are 100% fair and at the end of the day we need doctors to be able to say what is and isn't feasible as someone who doesn't do that won't know. Junior doctors definitely do need better pay as well, what they get is really poor considering how much work and how many hours you have to put in to become a doctor.
Original post by doodle_333
I think it's a shame it's gone this far... it's going to be hard for either side to back down now and there has to be a solution, we can't just not have doctors. I don't have a huge amount of sympathy for getting extra pay for unsociable hours and so on, I've worked unsociable hours for the same/similar pay and so on... but I do think that the issue around safe working hours are 100% fair and at the end of the day we need doctors to be able to say what is and isn't feasible as someone who doesn't do that won't know. Junior doctors definitely do need better pay as well, what they get is really poor considering how much work and how many hours you have to put in to become a doctor.

I think realistically Jeremy C**t has to go or there's no chance of reaching an accord.

I agree it's unfortunate it's got this far but it's necessary IMO.
I don't know all the details inside out of this dispute but having been involved with a couple of high profile strikes in the past where I did know the facts inside out, I would say with confidence that the management/government, the union and the media will all be twisting the truth to suit their own agenda.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's disgusting - surely the reason these people decided to become doctors was to help people. They should be embracing the plans for a 7-day NHS with open arms.
Original post by JamesN88
I think realistically Jeremy C**t has to go or there's no chance of reaching an accord.

I agree it's unfortunate it's got this far but it's necessary IMO.

agree... there's no other way out, if he forces contracts on them we just get more strikes and it can't carry on... if he gives in he will have to resign anyway
Original post by #ChaosKass
It's disgusting - surely the reason these people decided to become doctors was to help people. They should be embracing the plans for a 7-day NHS with open arms.

There's already a seven day NHS.
I support the doctors. I trust them infinitely more than the disgrace that is our government.
Original post by Plagioclase
I support the doctors. I trust them infinitely more than the disgrace that is our government.

This.

Especially more than a Health Secretary who's in favour of privatisation.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18

They should embrace something with open arms that will put patient safety at risk?

It's all well and good saying a 7 day NHS will do this, this and this but the plans aren't good enough and only make problems worse.

They dont have enough people for a 5 day NHS so seven days is rather pie in the sky. If you drive off all your employees becayse they go for better jobs elsewhere then you dont have an NHS at all. Only stupid people embrace plans which are flawed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending