The Student Room Group

University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vincrows
You need to wear it for formals.
And if you're planning to go to Christmas formal, it's very difficult to borrow one because most students'd go.

Also, if you're thinking of joining cricket club, it's very likely they have formals and swaps, so you'll need a gown for that too.

You don't need to wear it at Homerton/King's formals though, do you?

I've heard if you go for swaps and formals at other colleges, it's usually very easy to either borrow a gown or go without one and nobody minds because you're from a non-gown college.
Original post by Platopus
Hey everyone, I know I'm not a 2016 fresher anymore but I have a question for you all.

I recently bought a Pembroke College scarf:

https://www.ryderamies.co.uk/shop/pembroke-crested-scarf/

(Yeah, I know the price was :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:)

However, a certain @vincrows reliably informs me that to wear such a thing would be the ultimate faux pas!

Do any current Cambridge students wear their college scarf?

I'd only ever wear the scarf. I have no intention of buying any of the other tourist directed Cambridge apparel that seems to be available.

Yep. All first years are very keen so you see a lot of them wearing college apparel, no reason not to I suppose, get that college pride going on early :wink:

Cambridge specific apparel (those with the University of Cambridge printed all over it) tend to be more for tourists and I just have one T-Shirt I wear rarely. As Alow said, College stuff is classier to wear outside of Cambridge as opposed to an 'in your face' Cambridge hoodie or whatnot.
Original post by Zacken
You don't need to wear it at Homerton/King's formals though, do you?

I've heard if you go for swaps and formals at other colleges, it's usually very easy to either borrow a gown or go without one and nobody minds because you're from a non-gown college.

Not at King's, definitely, but don't Homerton wear a gown at formals?

Yes, if it's just for swaps, it's easy to borrow from someone, maybe, but some 'formals' 'swaps' can get quite wild, so you don't want to spoil someone else/s gown,.......:tongue:

tbh, all the students I know had their gown when they're there......except for King's rebels. :tongue:
Original post by Protoxylic
Yep. All first years are very keen so you see a lot of them wearing college apparel, no reason not to I suppose, get that college pride going on early :wink:

Cambridge specific apparel (those with the University of Cambridge printed all over it) tend to be more for tourists and I just have one T-Shirt I wear rarely. As Alow said, College stuff is classier to wear outside of Cambridge as opposed to an 'in your face' Cambridge hoodie or whatnot.

Thanks for the insider intel. My scarf is the only Cambridgey clothing I own and it's in my college's colours, rather than the university's. So, hopefully it will be ok to wear discreetly.
Not at King's, definitely, but don't Homerton wear a gown at formals?

Yes, if it's just for swaps, it's easy to borrow from someone, maybe, but some 'formals' 'swaps' can get quite wild, so you don't want to spoil someone else/s gown,.......:tongue:

tbh, all the students I know had their gown when they're there......except for King's rebels. :tongue:

Ah, alright. I thought Homerton would be less formal than King's, not the other way around. :tongue:

I'm starting to envy the people getting a gown now, it looks kinda cool. :lol:
Original post by Zacken
Ah, alright. I thought Homerton would be less formal than King's, not the other way around. :tongue:

I'm starting to envy the people getting a gown now, it looks kinda cool. :lol:

afaik, apart from some of mature colleges, King's is the only college who's allergic to gowns. :tongue:
Being 'less formal' (or not) in the college atmosphere is nothing to do with the custom of wearing a gown or not. :tongue:

Maybe you can start wearing a gown for King's formal, etc, and let them realize what they're missing! :biggrin:
afaik, apart from some of mature colleges, King's is the only college who's allergic to gowns. :tongue:
Being 'less formal' (or not) in the college atmosphere is nothing to do with the custom of wearing a gown or not. :tongue:

Maybe you can start wearing a gown for King's formal, etc, and let them realize what they're missing! :biggrin:

Ah yeah, misused that word there. :tongue:

Haha, I might just do that! Probably rope a few friends into doing it to. :lol:
Original post by Zacken

Good luck with your mission. :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken

Good luck with your mission. :biggrin:

im in, but only if u wear that zacin tshirt
Great. I don't want to look like an eejit but the scarfs are so nice!

Scarves are fine - lots of people will have them. I found mine really itchy though. :frown:

As for gowns, they're not compulsory for formal at some other colleges too (they weren't at Clare apart from matric/graduation dinner, though people did wear them for other occasions). If you're a guest at another college, you don't have to wear one even if their own students do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helenia
Scarves are fine - lots of people will have them. I found mine really itchy though. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Yeah, the material is really scratchy, isn't it?
Thanks! Yeah, the material is really scratchy, isn't it?

Many students use their scarf as a mini banner when they're cheering their college in inter-college sports match/race and/or to as a room decoration than actually wearing it . :tongue:
Reply 1012
Late but subbing especially for questions about Downing/geography!
Original post by Helenia

As for gowns, they're not compulsory for formal at some other colleges too (they weren't at Clare apart from matric/graduation dinner, though people did wear them for other occasions). If you're a guest at another college, you don't have to wear one even if their own students do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No compulsory gown even for xmas dinner at Clare?
Many students use their scarf as a mini banner when they're cheering their college in inter-college sports match/race and/or to as a room decoration than actually wearing it . :tongue:

Sounds like a very useful multi purpose item to have :biggrin:
No compulsory gown even for xmas dinner at Clare?

Can't remember about Christmas formal tbh, but for normal weekday formals it wasn't essential. The rule was that you had to dress a bit smarter if you weren't wearing a gown though - so men had to wear a suit if not in a gown, but could get away with just shirt & trousers with a gown, slightly less well-defined rules for women. Most people owned one and we did wear them to some formals, as much for the Hogwarts feel as anything. Boat club dinner/medics dinner etc were all black tie and no gowns.

Of course, things may have changed, but I'd be surprised if they'd made things like gowns MORE essential than they used to be!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Helenia
Can't remember about Christmas formal tbh, but for normal weekday formals it wasn't essential. The rule was that you had to dress a bit smarter if you weren't wearing a gown though - so men had to wear a suit if not in a gown, but could get away with just shirt & trousers with a gown, slightly less well-defined rules for women. Most people owned one and we did wear them to some formals, as much for the Hogwarts feel as anything. Boat club dinner/medics dinner etc were all black tie and no gowns.

That's interesting.
No black tie for boat club dinner at my daughter's college but they have to wear a gown.

It's only a suit under gown for boys at her college too.
Hey everyone, I know I'm not a 2016 fresher anymore but I have a question for you all.

I recently bought a Pembroke College scarf:
https://www.ryderamies.co.uk/shop/pembroke-crested-scarf/

(Yeah, I know the price was :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:)

However, a certain @vincrows reliably informs me that to wear such a thing would be the ultimate faux pas!

Do any current Cambridge students wear their college scarf?

I'd only ever wear the scarf. I have no intention of buying any of the other tourist directed Cambridge apparel that seems to be available.

Afaik, the faux pas would be gettng a Cambridge scarf rather than a college scarf.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Afaik, the faux pas would be gettng a Cambridge scarf rather than a college scarf.

Thanks for clarifying :smile: I will wear my scarf with pride!
Even the scarfs? Sniff :frown: I like mine so much. I will never trust another word my mum says. She assured me that wearing your college's scarf was normal practise during her time at the other place, back in the day. Grrr.

This is why we don't trust the other place.
She is trying to sabotage u

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending