The Student Room Group

Feeling flat about everything no motivation

I'm feeling a bit all over the place recently and agitated. I'm currently on medication for social anxiety and have a history of mental health concerns.

Recently I graduated and I am looking for work in my field- problem is, all of a sudden I am completely demotivated by it all. Part of this is to do with job hunting and grinding me down and some of it is general loss of interest.

I feel a bit like I've lost my identity and I find myself endlessly scrolling on Google for answers to my life's problems. I really want a decent job that pays well so I don't have to worry about finances. But maybe that's just it, I'm chasing the wrong thing. I often browse and read up on celebrity and stardom and read about how popstar's are earning hundreds of millions a year, footballers are earning millions and it's all kind of getting me down. How can something that everyone works so hard for, come so easy for others? (rhetorical). I know this isn't realistic but I can't help it. I just want to be 'good' at something, I need a purpose.

I'm not even particularly good at what I do, and its suddenly hit me- or maybe I am.

It just feels that after university I fell flat on my face and all that vigour all that passion all that understanding crumbled beneath me, and I'm left in a world of endless disappointment, depression and realism. Perhaps I was never realistic about my life's goals.

Thing is, while I am clearly depressed, I am not completely exhausted like I once was, or slowed down. I'm full of energy, agitated and restless. My mind is racing and I can't concentrate on one mental idea. I flit from idea to idea, not something uncommon with me when i think about my life's path.

Part of me feels like i'm having the 'Quarter-Life Crisis', I say this jokingly, but I'm also serious.

What can I do which I'm not already doing?

Part of my concern is work related, the other is mental health so I thought i'd post here. I am due a review of my medication, and while it works for my anxiety I feel the dosage needs to adjust. I have lately drank a lot too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
First things first, ask yourself what could have caused this problem. What made you lose your enthusiasm? Was it just an exhaustive phase? If so, you need to take a break from it all.
Do things you love for a bit. Just whatever makes you happy, be it friends, travelling, music, anything.

Secondly, you need to know where your true interest lie, whether it is the same path you are on or a different one. According to that you can re-adjust. For example, you would not want to eat something you don't like right? It just seems wrong. The same way, doing something you don't like is wrong. You said you "flit from idea to idea". I suggest you take each of those ideas into consideration. Make a list of pros and cons to do with each one and weigh up your decision.

What is your passion? What would you like to wake up and do? Whatever this may be, it is what you thought of firsthand.

Psychologically speaking, your brain seems to find routine in your depression. What I mean by this is that, unlike the majority of people who suffer from depression, you have a lot of energy. That energy could be channelled into something such as sports or yoga for example. Yes, it may sound "lame", doing yoga or meditation but trust me it really helps. If you go to youtube and search JBitterSweet 30 Day Meditation Challenge, I'm sure it will make you feel a lot better both physically and mentally. This could help you get a clearer head for focusing on the next chapter of your life.

Think about this, 5 years ago, what did you see yourself achieving? Are you proud of what you achieved? If not, why?

If you need any thoughts on anything at all, feel free to just ask :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Neuron13
First things first, ask yourself what could have caused this problem. What made you lose your enthusiasm? Was it just an exhaustive phase? If so, you need to take a break from it all.
Do things you love for a bit. Just whatever makes you happy, be it friends, travelling, music, anything.

Secondly, you need to know where your true interest lie, whether it is the same path you are on or a different one. According to that you can re-adjust. For example, you would not want to eat something you don't like right? It just seems wrong. The same way, doing something you don't like is wrong. You said you "flit from idea to idea". I suggest you take each of those ideas into consideration. Make a list of pros and cons to do with each one and weigh up your decision.

What is your passion? What would you like to wake up and do? Whatever this may be, it is what you thought of firsthand.

Psychologically speaking, your brain seems to find routine in your depression. What I mean by this is that, unlike the majority of people who suffer from depression, you have a lot of energy. That energy could be channelled into something such as sports or yoga for example. Yes, it may sound "lame", doing yoga or meditation but trust me it really helps. If you go to youtube and search JBitterSweet 30 Day Meditation Challenge, I'm sure it will make you feel a lot better both physically and mentally. This could help you get a clearer head for focusing on the next chapter of your life.

Think about this, 5 years ago, what did you see yourself achieving? Are you proud of what you achieved? If not, why?

If you need any thoughts on anything at all, feel free to just ask :smile:

I think what caused this problem was slow gradual lack of interest in my subject, which progressively got worse as I advanced through my education. I studied design at college level then university. The main reasons for this was because as a child (and even now) I had a vivid imagination and loved constructing things in my head- both written and visual- and so after years of flitting from subject to subject- wanting to be good at something- I decided to study design/media as it was a personal passion and hobby.

However, what happened as I progressed was that the more I studied it, in certain aspects my overall interest declined due to the fact I didn't see the return on investment in working in the arts- no money to be made.

I always told myself I wasn't really a capitalist sort of person, but I guess I'm in denial.

I still liked and in some ways enjoy what I do, but I don't see it as much as a sustainability as I once did, and this kind of led to the decline of my motivations.

I enjoy the theory, the psychology behind design, however, most practitioners don't take it so seriously. They see art as art, and social scientists/psychologists and the human sciences probably wouldn't consider such a sphere of subject. That's not to say there hasn't been stuff written on it, its just that its all speculation from modernist social scientists.

What I like most is challenging the status quo and coming up with new ways of thinking, constructing design and communicating purpose. I studied communications theory and semiotics in relation to health advertising at uni. However, it all seems flowery to employers- albeit interesting- and I don't think that they would take me so seriously.

I enjoy what makes people tick. Creating things that shape peoples perceptions and helping people through that medium. Constructing visual stuff that can contribute to positive lifestyle changes.

So in short, the above is really what happened and why my interest declined. But whether it's enough to maintain a career who knows. Perhaps I may stumble across a niche area that I excel in. When you get me talking about design like I just have I become empowered and driven, however, sometimes I get tired as I'm career driven and when things don't go my way I get impatient and avoid failure.

I remember when I was at university, one of my lecturers told me once: "you really believe all that stuff/nonsense", while referring to my dissertation topic. I said yes I do. Which I found disrespectful as he was my favourite lecturer, he was sort of dismissing my work as not of any real value, while simultaneously I understood his point. I was conflicted and my self esteem too a hit.

Now on to what I enjoy-- this is difficult because what I initially enjoyed I turned into a sort of career and pursued that at Uni. I don't have any real hobbies outside my creativity and perhaps thats the issue. No real down time, just constantly pursuing that 'next big thing' the new idea or the revolutionary/visionary ideas. While not really knowing what 'that' is.

All things considered, i have applied for work within the healthcare sector taking my ideas with me, and have detailed these somewhat in covering letters and the like. I have experienced mixed success and I do feel I carry some value to employers, its getting that break I desperately need- while maintaining my mental health!

I'm very very proud of all that I have achieved-- looking back gives me perspective. It's just right now in this moment I've sort of stopped achieving as I'm in a rut. I would never have thought I'd go to University or even leave school.

See, not to give my life story, I was born with a disability and confined to a wheelchair for the earlier-most part of my life. This shaped a lot of who I am today and I had to find the inner strength and determination to prove folk wrong. This is where my purpose actually comes from I guess.

I achieved that. Ten-Fifteen years later, and I guess I feel lost. I've achieved all I wanted to at this point, it's just my plan didn't go beyond this.
Reply 3
Original post by royal1990
I think what caused this problem was slow gradual lack of interest in my subject, which progressively got worse as I advanced through my education. I studied design at college level then university. The main reasons for this was because as a child (and even now) I had a vivid imagination and loved constructing things in my head- both written and visual- and so after years of flitting from subject to subject- wanting to be good at something- I decided to study design/media as it was a personal passion and hobby.

However, what happened as I progressed was that the more I studied it, in certain aspects my overall interest declined due to the fact I didn't see the return on investment in working in the arts- no money to be made.

I always told myself I wasn't really a capitalist sort of person, but I guess I'm in denial.

I still liked and in some ways enjoy what I do, but I don't see it as much as a sustainability as I once did, and this kind of led to the decline of my motivations.

I enjoy the theory, the psychology behind design, however, most practitioners don't take it so seriously. They see art as art, and social scientists/psychologists and the human sciences probably wouldn't consider such a sphere of subject. That's not to say there hasn't been stuff written on it, its just that its all speculation from modernist social scientists.

What I like most is challenging the status quo and coming up with new ways of thinking, constructing design and communicating purpose. I studied communications theory and semiotics in relation to health advertising at uni. However, it all seems flowery to employers- albeit interesting- and I don't think that they would take me so seriously.

I enjoy what makes people tick. Creating things that shape peoples perceptions and helping people through that medium. Constructing visual stuff that can contribute to positive lifestyle changes.

So in short, the above is really what happened and why my interest declined. But whether it's enough to maintain a career who knows. Perhaps I may stumble across a niche area that I excel in. When you get me talking about design like I just have I become empowered and driven, however, sometimes I get tired as I'm career driven and when things don't go my way I get impatient and avoid failure.

I remember when I was at university, one of my lecturers told me once: "you really believe all that stuff/nonsense", while referring to my dissertation topic. I said yes I do. Which I found disrespectful as he was my favourite lecturer, he was sort of dismissing my work as not of any real value, while simultaneously I understood his point. I was conflicted and my self esteem too a hit.

Now on to what I enjoy-- this is difficult because what I initially enjoyed I turned into a sort of career and pursued that at Uni. I don't have any real hobbies outside my creativity and perhaps thats the issue. No real down time, just constantly pursuing that 'next big thing' the new idea or the revolutionary/visionary ideas. While not really knowing what 'that' is.

All things considered, i have applied for work within the healthcare sector taking my ideas with me, and have detailed these somewhat in covering letters and the like. I have experienced mixed success and I do feel I carry some value to employers, its getting that break I desperately need- while maintaining my mental health!

I'm very very proud of all that I have achieved-- looking back gives me perspective. It's just right now in this moment I've sort of stopped achieving as I'm in a rut. I would never have thought I'd go to University or even leave school.

See, not to give my life story, I was born with a disability and confined to a wheelchair for the earlier-most part of my life. This shaped a lot of who I am today and I had to find the inner strength and determination to prove folk wrong. This is where my purpose actually comes from I guess.

I achieved that. Ten-Fifteen years later, and I guess I feel lost. I've achieved all I wanted to at this point, it's just my plan didn't go beyond this.

Well what I want to say to that first of all is that you should be proud of yourself. Proud for achieving everything you have with the enthusiasm and passion. Now that I know your background slightly a little more, I suggest that you shouldn't stop tinkering now. Jeez. You're almost there! Touching distance away from fulfilling your dreams. Give it one final push?

I'm not that experienced in life. Only been on the face of the Earth for 16 years, but in those 16 years I've been through quite a lot. From what I've gathered, you just need a little motivation. The fact that you've been born with a disability is even more inspiring. It has fueled you to be who you are, so keep that flame going. Keep it burning a little longer. In the short term, you are in a tough situation but by giving yourself a bigger perspective such as seeing yourself after say 5/10 years. What do you see? Are you happy about it? Probably not. So DO SOMETHING.

Just by reading your messages, I believe you contemplate a lot. You also probably like to innovate. A born naturalist perhaps. You have potential to do great things, don't regret not doing anything about this situation. There's always someone out there to help students who are stuck like this. Try looking around, you might find someone. Maybe I've been of some help to you or maybe not. I don't know, but what I do know is that at the worst of times, the person looking back at you in the mirror is the biggest help you will ever get

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending