The Student Room Group

Really unsure where to go from here

Basically I'm 18 rn
GCSE's- 8A*'s and 2A's
A levels- ABC (they didn't go according to plan :frown:)
I ended up at a good uni but its even a not russell group uni let alone a target uni.
The careers adviser at school told me to just give up my hopes of breaking into a front office role at the city and start looking at other careers. So what do you guys think? Realistically, I know its going to be virtually impossible to break in (In the careers advisers words 'I don't even know anyone in the industry who could 'bring me in')

And rn I was completing this women in IB application form and there was this drop down menu which said 'Russell group unis' and another one which said 'All other unis'..honestly it was so disheartening to see how your categorised almost instantly through the uni you attend. So I just wanted to ask you guys on tsr, if you had any advice for someone who is starting at a non target uni on how to maximise their chances or should I just pack it in now and realise its unrealistic?
Original post by queenofdarkness
Basically I'm 18 rn
GCSE's- 8A*'s and 2A's
A levels- ABC (they didn't go according to plan :frown:)
I ended up at a good uni but its even a not russell group uni let alone a target uni.
The careers adviser at school told me to just give up my hopes of breaking into a front office role at the city and start looking at other careers. So what do you guys think? Realistically, I know its going to be virtually impossible to break in (In the careers advisers words 'I don't even know anyone in the industry who could 'bring me in')

And rn I was completing this women in IB application form and there was this drop down menu which said 'Russell group unis' and another one which said 'All other unis'..honestly it was so disheartening to see how your categorised almost instantly through the uni you attend. So I just wanted to ask you guys on tsr, if you had any advice for someone who is starting at a non target uni on how to maximise their chances or should I just pack it in now and realise its unrealistic?

Lol, just give it a shot anyway. This is basically me, and I'm sure as hell not giving up. What do you have to lose? If it doesn't work out, there is always the Audit > ACA > IB path or Finance grad schemes, doing a masters to try again or working for a few years in something (be that a grad scheme or whatever) and getting into a top tier MBA programme.

Spring week applications are either open or will be opening, so refine your CV and make a strong application - the rest is down to what recruitment thinks of you.

If those don't go through, network your butt off in first year and get involved at uni as much as you can in increasingly more prominent roles. Try to get work experience in your holiday periods, then, apply for summers.

If that doesn't work, try even harder and re-apply to summers - maybe with the plan of doing a masters.

Or as I said, just follow one of the other paths above.

Moral is, perseverance is key or you'll be left behind.

I basically despise chance me threads because me telling you 'you have slightly lower chances but nothing is impossible' doesn't help you at all in any way shape or form - in fact, I don't know why people bother asking. If you're good enough, you'll get picked up, it's that simple. All this thread is, is a manifestation of your worrying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Lol, just give it a shot anyway. This is basically me, and I'm sure as hell not giving up. What do you have to lose? If it doesn't work out, there is always the Audit > ACA > IB path or Finance grad schemes, doing a masters to try again or working for a few years in something (be that a grad scheme or whatever) and getting into a top tier MBA programme.

Spring week applications are either open or will be opening, so refine your CV and make a strong application - the rest is down to what recruitment thinks of you.

If those don't go through, network your butt off in first year and get involved at uni as much as you can in increasingly more prominent roles. Try to get work experience in your holiday periods, then, apply for summers.

If that doesn't work, try even harder and re-apply to summers - maybe with the plan of doing a masters.

Or as I said, just follow one of the other paths above.

Moral is, perseverance is key or you'll be left behind.

I basically despise chance me threads because me telling you 'you have slightly lower chances but nothing is impossible' doesn't help you at all in any way shape or form - in fact, I don't know why people bother asking. If you're good enough, you'll get picked up, it's that simple. All this thread is, is a manifestation of your worrying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice and yh lol it really is a manifestation of my worrying. I had an offer from a target uni and missed it so now I'm panicking because I didn't really have a plan b. And also ngl filling out that form and just feeling as if I was dismissed as part of 'all other unis' kinda stung
Original post by queenofdarkness
Thanks for the advice and yh lol it really is a manifestation of my worrying. I had an offer from a target uni and missed it so now I'm panicking because I didn't really have a plan b. And also ngl filling out that form and just feeling as if I was dismissed as part of 'all other unis' kinda stung

Same boat, life happens.

Just grit your teeth and keep punching.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending