The Student Room Group

Should I invest in a macbook air?

Scroll to see replies

I myself own a Macbook Pro and TBH, it's really fast to get to work with a mac. The trackpad is probably its most unique feature and simple word processing and multi-tasking abilities is sublime. I wouldn't recommend a mac for those needing more computing performance.

tl;dr: Mac is good for simple tasks.
Original post by Actually_Felix
I myself own a Macbook Pro and TBH, it's really fast to get to work with a mac. The trackpad is probably its most unique feature and simple word processing and multi-tasking abilities is sublime. I wouldn't recommend a mac for those needing more computing performance.

tl;dr: Mac is good for simple tasks.

Do you use pages or have you got Microsoft Word / other software?
Original post by ReeceM1
Do you use pages or have you got Microsoft Word / other software?

Fortunately my uni offers free licensed Microsoft office 2016 and thats what I use mainly. Other productivity apps like SimpleMind, Keynotes, and Pages worked well for me as well. The multitasking gestures on the trackpad is extremely easy (and fun) to use. This is especially handy when switching from your outline and your document and web browser when writing papers.
Original post by ReeceM1

Most of the people saying Macs are rubbish are those who game or build their own machines.

And the ones who can't actually afford to buy a mac.

#JustSaying
Reply 44
It's worth mentioning that you can now pay for your MacBook on a monthly basis, but I don't think you'll get the current student offer if you take out the monthly payment planner
Reply 45
I'm in a similar position, I need to get a laptop for starting University in 2.5 weeks, and I've been looking at MBP and the Air. However, as many have said in this thread, I don't need it for heavy tasks, but I want it to last the duration of my degrees. My current laptop has lasted me 2 years, so it would have to last 4-5 years. For peace of mind and the ability to do this, I was looking at Macbooks.

I understand that a MBP is £999 - 10% = £899 - £150 (current selling price of the headphones) = £749.

Is there any alternative(s) with similar specs and reliability for around the same price or less?
Reply 46
Well already own a gamer PC, and I will also buy a laptop. No lose situation.
Just bought the MacBook Air with free beats.
It's a cheap laptop (with student discount).
I reccomend the MacBook Air for any regular student.
Not a gamer, photography student or a movie maker.
If you like photoshop or movie making, go for the MacBook Pro.
Although it's expensive, it lasts longer than other laptops.
And tbh, the specification of cheaper laptops aren't very good (I've bought and seen a few over the years) they don't last long
The specification of laptops similar to the MacBook have a very similar price point to the MacBook ranging from £500-......
Honestly it's what you think is best for you.
The only thing I don't like about the MacBook is that it takes time getting used to because of the features and trackpad system.
I'm using a MacBook Air 2011 11" which I paid £250 for and I've found it to be amazing value. It's got a sandy bridge i5 and so it isn't exactly slow, and despite having 2GB of RAM I can still do computer programming and the like on it with little to no lag. The big plus is the SSD, which even though it's only 60GB means everything is extremely fast.

And tbh for a small laptop that I only do small things on, 60GB is fine. I even play quite a few DS games on it using an emulator and it works fine. I feel like the SSD means that it'll be faster still than any modern £250 laptop that only comes with a hard drive.

edit: also I plan to sell it in about two years anyway, and I doubt it'll have lost much value by then - maybe £50 max! Macs keep value very well.
(edited 7 years ago)
You'd be stupid to get one now, the next keynote is on the 7th(3 days). Expect a new macbook and iPhone. I'll also be waiting to see if dell refreshes the XPS series.
Get a ThinkPad instead, either the T-series or the X-series if you want portability. They're much tougher than Macs, and are designed to keep your data as safe as possible,hence a lot of professionals use them. Basically they will last you a lot longer. Still have my 2012 T420 running like new, I use it everyday.
macbook air is classy, macbook pro is classier
Original post by zainyyyyy
macbook air is classy, macbook pro is classier

Yeah I would've got a MacBook Pro but it's really pricy for me
However MacBook Air is lighter and easier to carry around

Posted from TSR Mobile
but youre spending a lot regardless, i would rather spend more now and not regret it later than save it and regret it forever. I got the late 2013 retina macbook pro, it cost a lot but its better to not regret
You should go for it, my MacBook last 9 years it still works and you won't have to pay for it twice like you do with cheap windows products

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending
Would you say the MacBook is better than the envy?

Original post by username1884577
I have an iMac and a MacBook Pro 13 inch, as well as a HP envy which I'm looking to replace - I haven't used the MacBook anywhere near as much as the iMac, but both have been super reliable and are really fast. You can probably get Something just as good for cheaper though! Although I'd definitely recommend them
I'm typing this on a MacBook Air so I might be biased, but it's very useful for revising. Obviously if you're a design student/gamer then it might not be the one for you but for revision, typing up notes and browsing the internet it's great. Battery lasts a while, light as a feather and if you have an iPhone then you can store your photos there. What I've also noticed going from a windows hp to MacBook is that the MacBook is a quiet laptop and does not overheat like my hp did. I recommend it :smile:
No don’t get one the keyboard is awful and mines been repaired twice already

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending