The Student Room Group

how to stop really bad noise sensitivity :'(

hi everyone,
sometimes when i get stressed out or get migraines, i start to become very sensitive to noise and this causes me to cry quite a lot. i feel like i can hear every air molecule move and every conversation in a room and it really feels horrible and makes me go crazy.
everyone in my house is very insensitive. i told my mom my head hurt and i needed to be alone and she didnt even leave, she just said 'yeah well im not talking or doing anything.' they dont understand how bad i feel when this happens. and they continue to make so much noise.
have any of you ever experienced this and how do you stop it? please reply because my head is gonna burst
thank you
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gameofno
hi everyone,
sometimes when i get stressed out or get migraines, i start to become very sensitive to noise and this causes me to cry quite a lot. i feel like i can hear every air molecule move and every conversation in a room and it really feels horrible and makes me go crazy.
everyone in my house is very insensitive. i told my mom my head hurt and i needed to be alone and she didnt even leave, she just said 'yeah well im not talking or doing anything.' they dont understand how bad i feel when this happens. and they continue to make so much noise.
have any of you ever experienced this and how do you stop it? please reply because my head is gonna burst
thank you

I just wear ear plugs. Wear them every night in addition to an eye mask to aid sleep. I imagine ear plugs should help with your issue too.

Take some pain killers for the headaches aswell but if you get them frequently see the doc. Lots of headaches can mean you have a cancerous brain tumour. Usually people are just prone to getting them tho.
Putting music on really quietly helps, it's counterintuitive but it does. That's the best thing I've found- then I'm just focusing on that, rather than everything else going on around me. It does depend whether it comes from sensory overload or just normal hyperacusis for me though, if it's the first one it's probably about the worst thing I can do. Going to move this to health for you too, you should get better answers there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can't stop it. But as mentioned, quiet music, or even something like white noise helps.

Quick Reply

Latest