The Student Room Group

The government is spending £10million English lessons for Syrian refugees

A government pledge to spend £10m on English tuition for Syrian refugees in Britain, while ignoring those from other countries, is “madness”, according to the charity advising the Home Office on how to integrate refugees.The government is making the pledge as it confirms that the local authority places needed to deliver on its commitment to resettle 20,000 Syrian refugees by 2020 have been found.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/03/english-lessons-syrian-refugees

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Very good. Money well spent. £500 per person isn't a lot for an essential skill.
Good
Reply 3
Original post by zayn008
Very good. Money well spent. £500 per person isn't a lot for an essential skill.

Yes it's good value but considering that this is only for Syrian refugees and not other refugees isn't fair. We are very tight compared to other countries such as Germany they spent billions on helping to integrate refugees
Good. Hopefully this make them feel more integrated to Britain and it's values.
Reply 5
Original post by Jee1
Yes it's good value but considering that this is only for Syrian refugees and not other refugees isn't fair. We are very tight compared to other countries such as Germany they spent billions on helping to integrate refugees

well their plan clearly hasn't worked has it? We can only work within our means and the rest is down to them, we can't walk them through rebuilding their life but we can give them all essentials they need to get back on their feet and give them assistance to the next steps.

Also it seemed this thread was trying to start a debate, I was expecting people and still am, to say it's a waste of £10m which is why there's a few cold responses lol you might wanna add that you think they should be spending more
(edited 7 years ago)
Utter waste of money, effectively forcing me to pay 20p for lessons for people that should not even be here. I may find a way of costing the government 20p extra today just to make myself feel better.
Reply 7
Original post by The_Opinion
Utter waste of money, effectively forcing me to pay 20p for lessons for people that should not even be here. I may find a way of costing the government 20p extra today just to make myself feel better.

£10m isn't a large amount of money when in the long run refugees would be able to speak English and better integrate in society. Germany is currently spending billions on refugees so the £10m isn't that much
Original post by Jee1
£10m isn't a large amount of money when in the long run refugees would be able to speak English and better integrate in society. Germany is currently spending billions on refugees so the £10m isn't that much

It is £10 million more than it should be. That is £10 million that could have gone towards reducing the national debt or improving public services.
Reply 9
It is £10 million more than it should be. That is £10 million that could have gone towards reducing the national debt or improving public services.

With the big leave sign in your icon I was expecting you to say "to our NHS". Quite disappointed you didn't.
Reply 10
This is good news
Original post by zayn008
With the big leave sign in your icon I was expecting you to say "to our NHS". Quite disappointed you didn't.

NHS already gets too much money.

Our National debt is 4.8 trillion. A trillion is a million million.
So it would have paid off around 1/ 4,800,00000000 of our national debt. Not exactly a huge help is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
NHS already gets too much money.

You were just saying it should go to public services....
So which public service should it go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bornblue
Our National debt is 4.8 trillion. A trillion is a million million.
So it would have paid off around 1/ 4,800,00000000 of our national debt. Not exactly a huge help is it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Every little helps.

You were just saying it should go to public services....
So which public service should it go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Better transport links, better public park etc, coastguard. My priority would be towards lowering the national debt.
Has the government actually set money aside for it, or are they dumping it on councils with no funding for it?

Great investment, but lol, the same people objecting to this also complain that refugees "don't learn English."
Every little helps.

Better transport links, better public park etc, coastguard. My priority would be towards lowering the national debt.

Except every little doesn't help really if it's so low that it makes zero difference. Out national debt grows by around £5000 every second and by around 43.2 million every day. Making a one time payment of £10 million is not going to change anything. Especially when our debt will still grow by four times that amount that day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Except every little doesn't help really if it's so low that it makes zero difference. Out national debt grows by around £5000 every second and by around 43.2 million every day. Making a one time payment of £10 million is not going to change anything.

Again our national debt grows even second by around £5000, how do you propose we bring that down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it doesn't make zero difference does it? It just makes a small difference.

The amount our debt is going up is a disgrace, although a national profit could be made relatively easily.

Money to be saved:

EU payment money.
International aid and development money.
Reduction in NHS usage for non-needed cosmetic treatments + not covering certain types of injuries + making foreigners either pay to use or enforced national insurance.
Ending of government matched charity payments.
Removal of house of lords.
Removal of welfare to foreigners / removal of foreigners who should not be here.
Reduction in cost spent per prisoner.

That is around £50 billion of savings right there. Currently we are losing around £69 billion a year. So most of the deficit would be removed very easily without even effecting the vast majority of people.
Well it doesn't make zero difference does it? It just makes a small difference.

The amount our debt is going up is a disgrace, although a national profit could be made relatively easily.

It's such a negligible amount that it would make a negligible difference. It would be like giving 20p to a person in 10 billion pounds of debt. Totally pointless.

Even if we used that 10 million, after less than 6 hours, we would already have lost it all again.
Also debt and deficit are not the same.
Posted from TSR Mobile
It's such a negligible amount that it would make a negligible difference. It would be like giving 20p to a person in 10 billion pounds of debt. Totally pointless.

Even if we used that 10 million, after less than 6 hours, we would already have lost it all again.

Also debt and deficit are not the same.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest