The Student Room Group

Warnings over Brexit from the big powers

Theresa May has flown into China to receive a wave of warnings and cold rebuttals from world leaders about Brexit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37269916

Obama says there won't be a separate trade deal with the UK for a long time to come, a big blow for the confidence Brexiteers spouted during the campaign about how easy it would be to conjure up new trade deals to replace the old ones. May is starting this process off with Australia - not exactly one of the biggest economies - currently about 20th in most tables. :lol:

The EU is demanding to know if we intend to stay in the Single Market. Apparently, led by the Tory idiots who got us into this mess in the first place, the direction of travel is to leave. As soon as that is announced, the UK economy will plunge down, dozens of major companies will start to prepare to leave and the £ will hit rock bottom and inflation and unemployment will surge. No surprise that the government aren't saying! :rolleyes:

We have a long way to go, but with May constantly stating that Brexit is a done deal (when really it should be voted on in Parliament and a deal put to the nation in another referendum), it's already clear that the government we have are too incompetent to manage this well and things are going to get bad - as May herself admitted today. :angry:

Scroll to see replies

Japan to move HQ companies out of the UK due to Brexit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37270372
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Japan to move HQ companies out of the UK due to Brexit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37270372

Japan warns firms may move European HQ out of Britain.

Oh dear, dear, dear.
Original post by Dodgypirate

Oh dear, dear, dear.

i think you should probably come to terms that Brexit was a moronic decision economically. Your delusion is embarassing.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
i think you should probably come to terms that Brexit was a moronic decision economically. Your delusion is embarassing.

Quote me in 5 years, then we'll see :smile:
Reply 5
Brexit won't touch the FTSE 100, most of those corporations are dollar earners and operate on a global basis. Think Unilever, Shell, BP, Diageo,British American Tobacco. These are global companies, it will be business as usual for them. It's in their benefit to stay in the UK, we can turn into a tax haven and do what ireland is doing for apple.

The FTSE 250 may get hit, especially anyone exporting or importing into the EU, the EU will most likely tax us heavy on goods we buy from them. Though right now the EU needs us more than we need them, so there is always room for negotiation.

I think brexit is a good thing, change is always good. The EU project has been a failure in my eyes, letting in poorer nations who can't deal with such a strong currency like the euro.
with May constantly stating that Brexit is a done deal (when really it should be voted on in Parliament and a deal put to the nation in another referendum)

What do you mean, "a deal"?
Reply 7
Obama says there won't be a separate trade deal with the UK for a long time to come

Given he's (essentially) out of office in 2 months - and that numerous other US politicians have said that they will definitely want to deal with the UK very quickly - I think we can all agree his comments are pretty irrelevant.
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
Given he's (essentially) out of office in 2 months - and that numerous other US politicians have said that they will definitely want to deal with the UK very quickly - I think we can all agree his comments are pretty irrelevant.

But he is the leader of the free world! Yeah you're right, screw obama, I like him as a person but his presidency has been so ineffective. He has achieved less than george w bush and that is saying something.

The only 2 decent things obama did was getting heath insurance for poor americans and killing bin laden.
Original post by IamJacksContempt

It's far too early to be making such claims.

Obama says there won't be a separate trade deal with the UK for a long time to come, a big blow for the confidence Brexiteers spouted during the campaign about how easy it would be to conjure up new trade deals to replace the old ones.

Obama - who is leaving office - already said we'd be 'at the back of the queue' and everyone understood the lengthy process of trade deals so this isn't news and changes nothing. Trump is all for Brexit. No matter what the scaremongers say, our relationship with the US will not change. The real concern is our relationship with the EU.

The EU is demanding to know if we intend to stay in the Single Market. Apparently, led by the Tory idiots who got us into this mess in the first place, the direction of travel is to leave.

There is no evidence for this. I will be extremely surprised if we have no form of EEA membership at all. I voted remain and would still like to remain but there is no use in scaremongering; it's desperate and irrational. We ought to be analysing the facts not screaming news headlines to suit our bias.
Original post by Drewski

Policy at that level tends to continue, I agree up to a point, but I think the same political and economic logic will continue after he goes and his successor will end up taking much the same view.
Who needs who more is debatable. Yes we have a trade deficit but in terms of percentages we're only make up 7% of the EU's exports and as a whole they could absorb the effect of a loss in trade easier than us.

I think the best tactic discussed so far is to approach figures in industries we deal with directly and get them to lobby their politicians. Although the Commision has the final say officially, in reality they'll dance to tune of the heads of state.
Original post by macromicro
What do you mean, "a deal"?

I was using a turn of phrase. The point is that May is publicly acting as though the wafer thin majority for Leave after a highly distorted, lying, manipulated campaign of lies and deceit by leading Leavers is final and unchangeable. That has to be bull and we should call it that. The fact that she has the same problems Cameron had with feral backbenchers and demented frontbenchers is not a rational basis for planning our economic future.
Original post by Dodgypirate

Oh dear, dear, dear.

Still falling for the Brexit lies? Lmao
This is just nonsense coming from foreign leaders who don't have the UK's best interests at heart. Who needs the likes of Japan and the US?

What the UK needs to do is concentrate on forging new trade deals with economic powerhouses such as Japan and the US.

...oh.
Reply 15
We live in a democracy, there is no one to blame but the general public for bad decisions when it comes to a referendum, even if those decisions are influenced by ill-formed media trying to sell their front page, can't blame anyone but the people.

Just got to take this bad decision on the chin, stoically.

I'm not pro-Goverment or particular pro-Tory at all, a healthy society should always be putting pressure on the Goverment and be skeptical of what they do, and to be critical of any short-comings, but to say Brexit is the Tory's fault is simply unfair. They offered the most democratic approach to a decision, and campaigned for the sensible choice. Blaming them is not justified. The people are to blame.
Original post by InnerTemple
This is just nonsense coming from foreign leaders who don't have the UK's best interests at heart. Who needs the likes of Japan and the US?

What the UK needs to do is concentrate on forging new trade deals with economic powerhouses such as Japan and the US.

...oh.

Like free trade with Canada and South Korea that we'll lose when we leave.
Theresa May has flown into China to receive a wave of warnings and cold rebuttals from world leaders about Brexit.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37269916

Obama says there won't be a separate trade deal with the UK for a long time to come, a big blow for the confidence Brexiteers spouted during the campaign about how easy it would be to conjure up new trade deals to replace the old ones. May is starting this process off with Australia - not exactly one of the biggest economies - currently about 20th in most tables. :lol:

The EU is demanding to know if we intend to stay in the Single Market. Apparently, led by the Tory idiots who got us into this mess in the first place, the direction of travel is to leave. As soon as that is announced, the UK economy will plunge down, dozens of major companies will start to prepare to leave and the £ will hit rock bottom and inflation and unemployment will surge. No surprise that the government aren't saying! :rolleyes:

We have a long way to go, but with May constantly stating that Brexit is a done deal (when really it should be voted on in Parliament and a deal put to the nation in another referendum), it's already clear that the government we have are too incompetent to manage this well and things are going to get bad - as May herself admitted today. :angry:

Its funny you really believe Obama, wait till China/Russia/India make a trade deal with UK then USA/EU be panicking.
Original post by JamesN88
Like free trade with Canada and South Korea that we'll lose when we leave.

But we make our own deals! Look at the really rubbish deal the Swiss got with China. We could have that one day!

Original post by JoeyTr
Blaming them is not justified. The people are to blame.

I think we can blame Cameron. In a bid to counter divisions in his own party, he gambled badly.
Original post by ckfeister
Its funny you really believe Obama, wait till China/Russia/India make a trade deal with UK then USA/EU be panicking.

Do we want trade deals with these countries? How will it benefit us to have our markets flooded with with cheap goods?

If you really think that we will start playing the US and Russia/China off against other, then you're very, very silly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending