The Student Room Group

The government is spending £10million English lessons for Syrian refugees

Scroll to see replies

Lol @ the people complaining about this money being wasted, £10 million is nothing to the government. Remember when they spent £7 million on a bunch of leaflets?
Original post by The_Opinion
Utter waste of money, effectively forcing me to pay 20p for lessons for people that should not even be here. I may find a way of costing the government 20p extra today just to make myself feel better.

20p :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
It is £10 million more than it should be. That is £10 million that could have gone towards reducing the national debt or improving public services.

But when thinking about it, it will save the government money when the refugees need interpreters to access public services. That £10m will allow refugees to not rely on government handouts in the near future because they will by then have the language skills to get jobs
Reply 23
Original post by That Bearded Man
Has the government actually set money aside for it, or are they dumping it on councils with no funding for it?

Great investment, but lol, the same people objecting to this also complain that refugees "don't learn English."

Every council in the country will be allocated I think a set number of refugees Scotland at the moment is taking in the most amount and yes councils will have to fund for housing. There is no EU money to fund this just the councils and the tax payers so really we are paying well over a billion till 2020
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jee1
Every council in the country will be allocated I think a set number of refugees Scotland at the moment is taking in the most amount and yes councils will have to fund for housing. There is no EU money to fund this just the councils and the tax payers so really we are paying well over a billion till 2020

You've missed my point, either government provides additional funding to councils to run this scheme, or they dump in on the councils to provide, in which case it won't get done.
£10 million is next to nothing in national terms, if anything this is a good thing.
Utter waste of money, effectively forcing me to pay 20p for lessons for people that should not even be here. I may find a way of costing the government 20p extra today just to make myself feel better.

Bloody immigrants coming over here and stealing the equivalent of 80% of a freddo bar, it's an outrage :angry:

Gosh, what an upstanding and valuable member of society you are.
Complete waste of money, just send them home. The £10m should be invested into the armed forces and border security instead.
Learning English or not I daresay they will hardly integrate anyway, especially if placed in certain areas...

That is £10 million that could have gone towards improving public services.

(a few posts later)

The NHS already gets too much money.

Stop pretending you care about public services.

Original post by alevelstresss
Lol @ the people complaining about this money being wasted, £10 million is nothing to the government. Remember when they spent £7 million on a bunch of leaflets?
It's the equivalent of complaining if your friend gave a homeless person 50p.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by #ChaosKass
Complete waste of money, just send them home. The £10m should be invested into the armed forces and border security instead.

Say that to the UK government
Original post by Jee1
But when thinking about it, it will save the government money when the refugees need interpreters to access public services. That £10m will allow refugees to not rely on government handouts in the near future because they will by then have the language skills to get jobs

They would not need interpreters if they were not here in the first place.

Original post by Plagioclase
Gosh, what an upstanding and valuable member of society you are.

Yes, I am, a tax paying and law-abiding valuable member of society, that will pay into the system for more than I take out over my lifetime*, the same will not be true of those migrants.

*If the nation doesn't collapse in the next 20 years, which it probably will do, in which case ill emigrate.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Stop pretending you care about public services.

It's the equivalent of complaining if your friend gave a homeless person 50p.

No, its like you dropping your wallet on the floor, your friend picking it up, taking 50p out of it, giving the 50p to the homeless person and then returning the wallet back to you.
So thats £340 million left from Brexit :lol:?
Fantastic
...why would the government need to pay for their english lessons when these syrian "refugees" will eventually be returning to-....oh. of course. I get it. they're going to permanently settle here. even when the civil war ends. obviously. how stupid of me, right? this is the government of the UK.
Oh golly gosh lets not teach them English then, I am absolutely adamant the ridiculous right wingers will be content with that.

Can't win with you stubborn people.
Original post by #ChaosKass

I love seeing your posts as it reminds me how lucky I am to have a brain :smile:
They would not need interpreters if they were not here in the first place.

Yes, I am, a tax paying and law-abiding valuable member of society, that will pay into the system for more than I take out over my lifetime*, the same will not be true of those migrants.

*If the nation doesn't collapse in the next 20 years, which it probably will do, in which case ill emigrate.

Awesome. I demand you gain employment as soon as possible I need people to work and pay tax which pays for my benefits.
And since we have so many people available to pay tax, that's a lot of money so we can afford to open the borders. We must do this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending