The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mlb37
Yeah! I have a meeting on Wednesday to discuss my timetable but I don't officially start until the 12th

Oh wow, how coincidental, I go in Wednesday for an Induction and to meet my teachers
Hi guys.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am a bit unsure about my AS/A Level choices.

So, I want to go into either Medicine (most likely) or Finance (Accountant, Actuary, Investment Banker etc.).

I got all A*s in my GCSEs (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Geography, Spanish, French and Latin) except for English Language and English Literature, in which I got As.

So, for A Levels (well AS this year as soon as I start year 12), I have chosen 5 AS/A Levels:

Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Latin
Spanish

But I have been thinking that these may be a bit too much lately as I am seeing threads with people saying in the past to only take 4. The thing is, for Medicine, I need the Sciences and Maths, but I also really enjoy both languages so I don't know which to drop... is it worth doing all 5 subjects or will it just be too much work? And if I do 5 subjects, will I not get any free periods?

And finally, which language is more useful, Latin, French or Spanish for Medicine/Finance? Should I swap one to Further Maths?

Haha I know there's a lot of questions and I'm starting to really overthink the situation so I would be grateful if someone could help me out.. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zari7861
Hi guys.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am a bit unsure about my AS/A Level choices.

So, I want to go into either Medicine (most likely) or Finance (Accountant, Actuary, Investment Banker etc.).

I got all A*s in my GCSEs (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths, Geography, Spanish, French and Latin) except for English Language and English Literature, in which I got As.

So, for A Levels (well AS this year as soon as I start year 12), I have chosen 5 AS/A Levels:

Chemistry
Biology
Maths
Latin
Spanish

But I have been thinking that these may be a bit too much lately as I am seeing threads with people saying in the past to only take 4. The thing is, for Medicine, I need the Sciences and Maths, but I also really enjoy both languages so I don't know which to drop... is it worth doing all 5 subjects or will it just be too much work? And if I do 5 subjects, will I not get any free periods?

And finally, which language is more useful, Latin, French or Spanish for Medicine/Finance? Should I swap one to Further Maths?

Haha I know there's a lot of questions and I'm starting to really overthink the situation so I would be grateful if someone could help me out.. Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Check before taking my advice, but I would pick a modern foreign language as you may be able to do a year abroad during your med degree (I'm not entirely sure but i did hear of someone doing that so it's worth looking into)
Original post by elisha22
Check before taking my advice, but I would pick a modern foreign language as you may be able to do a year abroad during your med degree (I'm not entirely sure but i did hear of someone doing that so it's worth looking into)

This is true, some universities do offer you the experience to study abroad but you might need a MFL. Choose the language of a country you'd most like to go to, because that will probably benefit you the most.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 384
I know this is the year 12 thread but when do the actual colleges start??? Do they start later than sixthforms or will they start on monday aswell
Reply 385
Original post by emi.hopkins
have an induction Monday but i don't go back until Thursday!

Lucky. I had my induction on friday and i start on monday
Original post by s.mo
I know this is the year 12 thread but when do the actual colleges start??? Do they start later than sixthforms or will they start on monday aswell

I'm starting college on Tuesday, the 6th, so I don't think colleges start later 😃 it depends on the school itself, tbh ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
- Introduce yourself
I got 11A*s 1A for my GCSEs and I'm hoping for Dental School 2018:h:

- What are your hobbies and interests?
Don't have many hobbies, I want to join some clubs this year as I need to improve my CV. I'm interested in travelling :yep:
- What subjects are you planning to take?
Maths, Economics, Biology & Chemistry :redface:

- Your favourite subject(s)?
Quite like the sciences.
Original post by mxskaan
- Introduce yourself
I got 11A*s 1A for my GCSEs and I'm hoping for Dental School 2018:h:

- What are your hobbies and interests?
Don't have many hobbies, I want to join some clubs this year as I need to improve my CV. I'm interested in travelling :yep:
- What subjects are you planning to take?
Maths, Economics, Biology & Chemistry :redface:

- Your favourite subject(s)?
Quite like the sciences.

Hey your doing the same alevels as me :smile: Which boards are they ? Also have you done any work on them ?
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey your doing the same alevels as me :smile: Which boards are they ? Also have you done any work on them ?

I think we've spoken about this on the previous year 11 thread :lol:
I'm doing Edexcel for Maths, Economics and Biology and OCR A for Chemistry :smile:

I haven't done much work over the holidays but am prepared to buckle down from tomorrow onwards.
Original post by mxskaan
I think we've spoken about this on the previous year 11 thread :lol:
I'm doing Edexcel for Maths, Economics and Biology and OCR A for Chemistry :smile:

I haven't done much work over the holidays but am prepared to buckle down from tomorrow onwards.

Yeh i think we have lol :biggrin:
Neither have :smile: When do you start sixth form ?
Reply 391
Hey, I am starting year 12 like many of you here.
My interests include current affairs, reading, history and Harry Potter. :P
-I am planning to take: Maths, Economics, Physics, History and Politics
History and Maths are my favourite subjects at this time
I'd love to be a lawyer or someone in the Government
Original post by nisha.sri
Yeh i think we have lol :biggrin:
Neither have :smile: When do you start sixth form ?

From tomorrow :redface: I'm hoping the first day back won't be so hectic.
What about yourself?
Original post by mxskaan
From tomorrow :redface: I'm hoping the first day back won't be so hectic.
What about yourself?

Oh ok :smile: Tell me how it goes ( if you remember ) :h: I'm sure it won't. Are you nervous/excited ?
Tuesday :smile:
Can't believe I start tomorrow. I don't know what to feel.
Reply 395
I start this Wednesday, I'm excited to start the work and my courses but I'm just worried about making friends looool
I don't start until Thursday, looking forward to it, just also worried about making new friends.
Hi guys, some advice? I want to do biochemistry at university and I'm currently doing maths, biology, Chem and lit/Lang. Most unis only want chemistry and biology (which I'm definitely doing) or maths. I like maths but I really wanted to take economics as I loved it at GCSE. If I hate A level maths would economics be okay as a replacement or would I need to carry on with it for uni?
Original post by Rosy-Smith18
Hi guys, some advice? I want to do biochemistry at university and I'm currently doing maths, biology, Chem and lit/Lang. Most unis only want chemistry and biology (which I'm definitely doing) or maths. I like maths but I really wanted to take economics as I loved it at GCSE. If I hate A level maths would economics be okay as a replacement or would I need to carry on with it for uni?

Check the requirements for different universities but as long as you've got chemistry and biology, you're safe

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ColossalAtom
Can't believe I start tomorrow. I don't know what to feel.

Neither do I. Do you have a full day tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest