The Student Room Group

Sociology or Media A-Level?? (with Psychology and Health and Social Care)

I want to study something along the lines of Nursing at Uni in the future. I chose sociology because it looks so interesting however I am awful at writing essays - I haven't had a decent english teacher since year 9 and the only C i got in my GCSE's was in English Lit - the only essay writing subject i took.

I still need to look more into media, but I dont know because as I said I defiantly want to go to uni and I dont know if they would accept me as Media is viewed as such a 'soft' a-level, especially when I'm taking three and one is health and social care which is also looked down upon slightly. (I defiantly want to take health and social care though as I may want to do it at uni, if not nursing)

So if anyone has done either subject, knows about them or knows about getting into uni with them please send HELP.
Original post by scared4alevels01
I want to study something along the lines of Nursing at Uni in the future. I chose sociology because it looks so interesting however I am awful at writing essays - I haven't had a decent english teacher since year 9 and the only C i got in my GCSE's was in English Lit - the only essay writing subject i took.

I still need to look more into media, but I dont know because as I said I defiantly want to go to uni and I dont know if they would accept me as Media is viewed as such a 'soft' a-level, especially when I'm taking three and one is health and social care which is also looked down upon slightly. (I defiantly want to take health and social care though as I may want to do it at uni, if not nursing)

So if anyone has done either subject, knows about them or knows about getting into uni with them please send HELP.

If you want to do nursing surely health and social care would be perfectly acceptable. You might benefit from checking out some uni websites - if you search for the course you are interested in it will tell you the subjects and grades required.

I would have thought psychology might be the better option rather than media for a healthcare related course but this is just my thoughts.

I did sociology and psychology at A level (albeit 2 years ago now) - both are essay subjects with a lot to memorise but I liked them both and they went well together.
Original post by AmyPilot
If you want to do nursing surely health and social care would be perfectly acceptable. You might benefit from checking out some uni websites - if you search for the course you are interested in it will tell you the subjects and grades required.

I would have thought psychology might be the better option rather than media for a healthcare related course but this is just my thoughts.

I did sociology and psychology at A level (albeit 2 years ago now) - both are essay subjects with a lot to memorise but I liked them both and they went well together.

Thankyou for responding:smile: Psychology and Sociology should be better than media for healthcare - but I just dont know because essay writing really is not my strong point so am thinking that taking 3 essay based subjects could be an awful mistake!! But I dont know if it would be better to take sociology and hopefully get a decent grade or do media and get a better grade but i might be turned down because its media:frown:

How did you find sociology?? I mean obviously it was a lot of work but was it interesting and were the essays manageable coinciding with psychology? Sorry for the questions haha
Thankyou for responding:smile: Psychology and Sociology should be better than media for healthcare - but I just dont know because essay writing really is not my strong point so am thinking that taking 3 essay based subjects could be an awful mistake!! But I dont know if it would be better to take sociology and hopefully get a decent grade or do media and get a better grade but i might be turned down because its media:frown:

How did you find sociology?? I mean obviously it was a lot of work but was it interesting and were the essays manageable coinciding with psychology? Sorry for the questions haha

The essays aren't huge - at least not at A level - they get much longer at uni so it might be good practice lol,

Don't know much about media but doesn't that have a coursework element? Surely media will also include a lot of writing?

I loved sociology - it was my highest A level. The style of writing is very similar to psychology and I found it helpful doing them together. I did 4 A levels - all of which were essay subjects - so don't be put off.

Take the subjects that are going to be most helpful for your chosen course - essay technique can be learnt!
Reply 4

Most universities require A Level Biology for a nursing degree
Original post by MMR16
Most universities require A Level Biology for a nursing degree

Hi thanks for responding, I have been doing a lot of looking into this as I had been told previously I might need Biology A-Level however most, with the exception of a few top universities, just require a 'social science' such as psychology (as this contains a lot of biology in the course).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Hi thanks for responding, I have been doing a lot of looking into this as I had been told previously I might need Biology A-Level however most, with the exception of a few top universities, just require a 'social science' such as psychology (as this contains a lot of biology in the course).

Hi yes you are correct in saying that most universities say they require 'a science or a social science' however you should have in mind that to qualify to be a nurse and to study it at university there is going to be a lot of biology and if you do take biology universities would like it more.

Quick Reply

Latest