The Student Room Group

Is it that wrong to want to be a housewife?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by venetiaan
Are you sure that was directed towards me? Cause I agree with you.

I've deleted that and quoted her first message. I'm sorry:smile:
Original post by Rhaenys10
It's not.. I just saw that you've quoted the OP and I think that she's deleted that comment.

Oh okay. I hadnt noticed that!
I've deleted that and quoted her first message. I'm sorry:smile:

No problem :smile:
I guess I'm not as PC as those above but I think there is a lot wrong with wasting your life as a meaningless housewife. This is 2016 - there are not a great deal of jobs to do around the house. This isn't the 19th century where the wife is baking bread and hand-washing clothes outside. We are living in the Internet Era and the rapid technological progression that came with it. It is wasteful and unhelpful not to try and contribute more to society than flicking on the dishwasher and dropping the kids off to school in your X3. People's aim in life ought to be contributing as much as possible to humanity and there is little excuse not to today.

Why are you even bothering to do a degree if you're so set on your future as a housewife? You won't require an education.
No. This issue and the feminist attitude towards it is all about saying a woman must be completely free to choose that path, and not feel as thought it's one she is predestined for simply because of her gender.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes as men should work, earn money and provide as men have the brains/natural ability and desire for careers and invention

I must have missed it, but did you mention which planet you came from and in which century?
I think you will get the life you deserve with those ideas.
I personally would not like to be a housewife, not because i don't like cooking and cleaning but because i want financial independence and not marry anyone because of the financial security they can offer me.

As for having kids, i will probably take some time off to take care of them etc but then probably resume to work.
Reply 47
lmaoooo women don't have leadership qualities - ***** have you met me :lol:

also i would hate to be a housewife - like i would go insane if my brain isn't busy with some sort of regular work or study
and if i was a dude and i had some lazy arse wife sitting at home doing jackshit while im slaving away at work i'd make my self gay

but if you want to and you found a decent man that wants you to then all's good go ahead but im just saying idgi :tongue:
in fact, no one who's rich is stupid - this is just an image they're selling. Paris Hilton is not stupid, and neither is Kim K. They're both women, they were both born rich, but the fact that they're still amassing wealth is proof that they've got brains.

Thanks for the laugh. They know what makes money, i.e. sex tapes and reality TV, that doesn't make them intelligent. Their little handbag poodles have larger brains. If they weren't born rich and good-looking, do you actually think they'd be wealthy with just their level of intelligence to rely on? Also, meet Rich, he's 90% oil and slowly killing himself but, according to you, he's nothing but brains:

Women have been pulling the strings behind the curtains of history ever since time immemorial. To make you understand the situation better, I'll give you an easy example. Think of Margaery Tyrell from Game of Thrones. She's just a character, but oh my!, there have been so many like her throughout the years.

What is it with feminists and using Game of Thrones analogies? Do you realise it's fictional and that you sound completely daft trying to make a historical point by saying "because GoT"?

Personally, I think women do possess leadership qualities

I agree of course, but your points have been terrible in trying to get to this conclusion.
Original post by Poooky
What studies? Please link them.

Also I can't believe no one's called you out on your horribly sexist comments- everything we do and use is not thanks to men :/
Never heard of Ada Lovelace, Rosalind Franklin, Marie Curie?? There are countless more who I can't remember atm
As pointed out by others, many many women are in top jobs, our PM included. If that's not good enough for you, the current CEO of Pepsi is also a woman!

And only bringing up sons and heirs? What's wrong wth you? :s-smilie:

Ok I have to admit I had never heard of those women except the PM and didn't know women had done things like that
Original post by macromicro
Thanks for the laugh. They know what makes money, i.e. sex tapes and reality TV, that doesn't make them intelligent. Their little handbag poodles have larger brains. If they weren't born rich and good-looking, do you actually think they'd be wealthy with just their level of intelligence to rely on? Also, meet Rich, he's 90% oil and slowly killing himself but, according to you, he's nothing but brains:

What is it with feminists and using Game of Thrones analogies? Do you realise it's fictional and that you sound completely daft trying to make a historical point by saying "because GoT"?

I agree of course, but your points have been terrible in trying to get to this conclusion.

Yeah, I do think those people are smart. Not Einstein smart, but intelligent enough to know what their strengths are and take advantage of them. IDK who the guy in the pic is, though.

About the Got analogy, it was the first thing that came to mind and fictional or not, she's a good example. There were lots of women like her in history, but most of them are fairly unknown. Would Dolores Huerta or Peggy Shipmen Arnold prove my point better? Maybe, but let's face it, not everyone knows about them.
Yeah, I do think those people are smart. Not Einstein smart, but intelligent enough to know what their strengths are and take advantage of them. IDK who the guy in the pic is, though.

They are the worst role models for young girls that I can possibly think of.

Peggy Shipmen Arnold

Do you actually know what she's 'famous' for? Infamous would be more accurate.
My mother’s housewife thing has put scars on mine and two of my siblings lives. It goes something like: “Never has he ever shown a sign of an abuser before the third kid came out, but then it was too late. Then he threatened to leave us all in a matter of seconds if I started working. I had no where to go either.” Those are my mother’s words that me and my siblings cannot forget for life because the same rulership of the father who loves our mother but also loves to abuse her a little more than love, has made us dotards in everyone’s eyes, who cannot separate from their parents before 25yo while the reality was that he didn’t let us because he threatened to leave us all on the street, including our mother, at a instance if WE started earning money that could allow us to do that, and the kind of money he was making easily allowed him to put us all in that position for the goal of having her in his hands. It was physically impossible for us to get away from the abuser because of it, without leaving someone behind/being kicked out, since our money was seen as a potential help to the person who the abuser was aware of abusing (the mother aka the housewife). And he could LEGALLY do everyting he threatened to do with no question, and has done it and before dark we had to come back “home” unless we wanted to be literally homeless in the area he put us to live where even that wouldn’t work out to survival, all of us at the same time if one of us made a move. Please people, do not give this a chance. This is something that police cannot help you with, besides making sure you have peace while you take your stuff out, but then what? Trust me you are NOT ready to lose legal help of law enforcement and justice sistems, and this is a way straight to it!!! I’m begging eveyone to never do this. One thing I wish the most, and very honestly and truthfully saying, is that I can give my life in this world plus in the eternity to make the housewife and houseman thing ILLEGAL and punishable with jail time and huge fines to those who even try to practice it. It is LITERALLY controlling someone’s life through innocent kids, through innocent lives which will be ruined from success for life, and played with darkly in the beginning. Now this might not always be the case, but after reading all this let me ask you, would you really give it a chance? Give an answer to yourself but imagine me in front of you, however you want to imagine me, and look me in the eyes when you say yes or no. And by the way, appx. 40% of the marriages fail due to all kinds of reasons and most of them never get divorced, but whatever the reason is, what are you going to do now, as a housewife for years, even if there’s no kids? All the bad cases such as mine… And believe me I’ve heard even worse! Abuser is not born, abuser is made! Don’t make one! It’s almost as equal to being one. And yes I know your hubby bubby is so lovely that he would die for you in a second and I’m nit doubting it, but don’t unleash the beast or make one by firstly putting yourself in a position of that less than a pet on the floor, after he/she gets used to you being that person for so long. You will see them change. You will ruin your life (just yours?). I’m begging. I’m begging. I’m begging.
My mother’s housewife thing has put scars on mine and two of my siblings lives. It goes something like: “Never has he ever shown a sign of an abuser before the third kid came out, but then it was too late. Then he threatened to leave us all in a matter of seconds if I started working. I had no where to go either.” Those are my mother’s words that me and my siblings cannot forget for life because the same rulership of the father who loves our mother but also loves to abuse her a little more than love, has made us dotards in everyone’s eyes, who cannot separate from their parents before 25yo while the reality was that he didn’t let us because he threatened to leave us all on the street, including our mother, at a instance if WE started earning money that could allow us to do that, and the kind of money he was making easily allowed him to put us all in that position for the goal of having her in his hands. It was physically impossible for us to get away from the abuser because of it, without leaving someone behind/being kicked out, since our money was seen as a potential help to the person who the abuser was aware of abusing (the mother aka the housewife). And he could LEGALLY do everyting he threatened to do with no question, and has done it and before dark we had to come back “home” unless we wanted to be literally homeless in the area he put us to live where even that wouldn’t work out to survival, all of us at the same time if one of us made a move. Please people, do not give this a chance. This is something that police cannot help you with, besides making sure you have peace while you take your stuff out, but then what? Trust me you are NOT ready to lose legal help of law enforcement and justice sistems, and this is a way straight to it!!! I’m begging eveyone to never do this. One thing I wish the most, and very honestly and truthfully saying, is that I can give my life in this world plus in the eternity to make the housewife and houseman thing ILLEGAL and punishable with jail time and huge fines to those who even try to practice it. It is LITERALLY controlling someone’s life through innocent kids, through innocent lives which will be ruined from success for life, and played with darkly in the beginning. Now this might not always be the case, but after reading all this let me ask you, would you really give it a chance? Give an answer to yourself but imagine me in front of you, however you want to imagine me, and look me in the eyes when you say yes or no. And by the way, appx. 40% of the marriages fail due to all kinds of reasons and most of them never get divorced, but whatever the reason is, what are you going to do now, as a housewife for years, even if there’s no kids? All the bad cases such as mine… And believe me I’ve heard even worse! Abuser is not born, abuser is made! Don’t make one! It’s almost as equal to being one. And yes I know your hubby bubby is so lovely that he would die for you in a second and I’m nit doubting it, but don’t unleash the beast or make one by firstly putting yourself in a position of that less than a pet on the floor, after he/she gets used to you being that person for so long. You will see them change. You will ruin your life (just yours?). I’m begging. I’m begging. I’m begging.
Interested to know if you are female, SOMETIMES these types of OP posts are written by old men or trolls but here goes.

With divorce more likely than succes, if your rich husband dumps you, make sure you have kept in contact with your parents. Without money, you kind of revert to child-status (French women were considered minors until fairly recently).
Let's not talk nonsense. Feminism is equal rights and doing what you want to do, so do it!
Men do it aswell sometimes, sometimes marrying rich women (the Merry Widow?), sometimes doing a better paid job they don't particularly like (Vets are mostly female today not because men cannot be vets but because there is now more money for men in human medicine and banking). Women can be very good leaders, otherwise our species would be extinct or in carnage. Some men run away, too, most do not have a fighter's build.

You CAN claim benefits, live off your kids, do drugs, become a nun,or a man, do what you want, nobody judges anyone anymore, we have changed since the factory line 1950's. There is actually an argument out there that says this is an economically justified way to access money afterall in some societies there is no other way.

If YOU don't have leadership qualities yet or ever (don't blame it on your genitals, or your teenage group of friends, it is all about you) It MAY be the best option for you to sleep around and marry the one with the most cash. Lying down does take less effort, but then where are you going to get the effort from to raise children? What happens if he gets ill? What happens when he spends his money on other women? When he wants to paint the lounge green and you didn't contribute to the cost of the paint so you have no say? Divorce and dump the poor children? Contract finito?
Also, reading between the lines, don't brainwash yourself into a stereo-type of a woman that you seem to have in your head. THERE IS A CHANCE you MIGHT BE ABLE TO marry 'rich' it is not a fall-back option - most men are not desparate. I mean, I hope you don't assume you are a prized princess? What is a rich, successful man seeing that is attractive about you, above other women? Times have changed, being rich is hard work, and they also want a rich wife particularly when rich people have nannies and a'se wipers already AND rich working women can be obviously be just as beautiful and engaging as layabouts).
Interesting how you think think you access some 'higher status' because you have a degree - everyone has a degree, and those that don't are not necessarily less inspiring or clever.... you seem to be saying 'I am a woman but I have a degree therefore I can work on my back - no, you can work on your back without being a woman or a degree holder. You say 'admittedly' a girly subject like it is a lesser subject. If you have issues with being a woman it may explain why you don't want to be part of society, if that is the case? You study 3 years for subject you think is not worth it and ignore probably perfect partners because of their income? It might not be a disaster, but it is a bit of a risk....that may see you on the street.

A working mother already gets 5? years paid time off, even after the children go to school (not totally sure) plus 20pct extra holiday in most firms. I heard you get 12 years pension per kid paid for by the state, I THOUGHT that was totally generous, but if you want more from your husband, ask him to cough up, at least you wouldn't be on benefits. Just be fair to the man, and make sure he knows beforehand (ideally a contract to protect your pension).

Do what you want, sister or brother. Not sure what you are looking for, a round of applause for originality ? Most of the world's poorest economies have this system and the internet bride industry plus the under-age market are still going to be your competitors ?
Original post by Anonymous
women don't tend to have leadership qualities or what it takes to earn big salaries - that was clear at school when the boys always took charge and made things happen.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to be a housewife but I reckon that bit's either ******** or it's just what you learn at growing up, it doesn't have to be true
I don’t understand what your point is. I’m a 20 year old guy. And nothing that you said solves the problem that my family had with an abusive father. It’s easier to say things but harder to do them, I wouldn’t like to see anyone in that situation but i know you wouldn’t know how to do any better to get out of it easier than we did. This is a real story and I certainly don’t care what you or anyone is saying, I’m just hoping here to explain how big of a risk they’re getting into if they’re seriously considering to become a housewife. It is a big risk and you cannot claim that one wrong! I lefty message everywhere on the internet on this topic and I frankly don’t care who doesn’t like it, what I do care is that people who are doing this thing or considering doing it, will hopefully see my message with a real story behind it, of someone who had been a victim and was born a victim because of one woman’s poor decision. I haven’t concentrated much on proving my story is real or talking about myself since it’s long as it is, and I want people who are interested to actually read it, not abandon it, but all I can say is this is real. Those who know will know. Negative comments are okay with me and I could care less because my whole life I’ve head negative comments about me until I got a chance to prove myself, and listening to those negative comments and proving myself has got me out of all the problems but there’s one problem, that those negative comments that saved me have left my mother and my siblings still with and abusive father even more helpless and mother getting seriously sick and has barely something in her hands to use for medication and hospital. On the top of it all we are all illegal in the united states and only my father has papers. On the top of it all love takes you far deep when you’re a housewife that only when things get bad will you realize you ****ed up the whole way through. AGAIN I’m not saying all cases will be like this but I’m asking the person that asked the question (not people who answer) if they would really give it a chance to completely disarm from making money and stay like that for a great while. I’m hoping to become more financially stable soon so I can help people I cey for on the regular. What you’re going to say next is definitely not going to interest me, wjat matters is that people see my message. Things in life are connected, and when you isolate from the world completely then everything gets connected to one big nothing in the end. From how your brain and body feel, to your enery for working a job if you have high school like my mom, etc. Let me see you be a housewife for 10 or 15 years and even if your husband/wife doesn’t become abusive, how your going to fit back in the world that you pushed away with your own hands.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending