The Student Room Group

Finding a job

I've just come out of college after getting 3 A Levels in Media, Business and Fine Art. I've moved 100 miles away from my home in London (long story) but now I'm trying to find a job. I really need a FULL TIME job that pays well (avoiding hospitality) as I'm saving up for next year when I move 150 miles away to live with my *very* long-term boyfriend. I aim to save up about £3500 by next August.

I've applied for a job at Warwick Uni, although I haven't heard back from them yet (it's been a week). I have also applied to Tesco, who rejected to me due to lack of experience in retail... I've only ever worked in an office job and 2 hospitality jobs - which were my worst nightmare, I hated them so much. I was going to apply for Lidl but everyone warned me about it and I saw awful reviews from current employees so that put me off.
Any ideas where to apply? I want to work somewhere where I can meet new people as I've literally got no friends after moving to the Midlands :smile:))
Reply 1
Original post by itsgrace_
I've just come out of college after getting 3 A Levels in Media, Business and Fine Art. I've moved 100 miles away from my home in London (long story) but now I'm trying to find a job. I really need a FULL TIME job that pays well (avoiding hospitality) as I'm saving up for next year when I move 150 miles away to live with my *very* long-term boyfriend. I aim to save up about £3500 by next August.

I've applied for a job at Warwick Uni, although I haven't heard back from them yet (it's been a week). I have also applied to Tesco, who rejected to me due to lack of experience in retail... I've only ever worked in an office job and 2 hospitality jobs - which were my worst nightmare, I hated them so much. I was going to apply for Lidl but everyone warned me about it and I saw awful reviews from current employees so that put me off.
Any ideas where to apply? I want to work somewhere where I can meet new people as I've literally got no friends after moving to the Midlands :smile:))

There's always McDonald's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Don Joiner
There's always McDonald's

Posted from TSR Mobile

The day you catch me working in McDonalds is the day you will see pigs fly, my friend.
Reply 3
Just have a look on the job websites (indeed, monster, etc) and see what comes up in your area, there's always a mixture of admin and retail jobs.
Reply 4
The day you catch me working in McDonalds is the day you will see pigs fly, my friend.

That's what they all say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by sh9
Just have a look on the job websites (indeed, monster, etc) and see what comes up in your area, there's always a mixture of admin and retail jobs.

Feel like I've looked everywhere! I've never done admin before or even looked at it though, could be a good shout. Thanks
Reply 6
Feel like I've looked everywhere! I've never done admin before or even looked at it though, could be a good shout. Thanks

I can relate! It's tough but eventually something will turn up. :smile: Be sure to highlight your previous experience as best as you can on your C.V
Stores usually have vacancy posters on their window where you pass your C.V in store. Also, local businesses usually have a vacancy section on their own websites where less people will see/apply so it's worth looking for those too. Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by sh9
I can relate! It's tough but eventually something will turn up. :smile: Be sure to highlight your previous experience as best as you can on your C.V
Stores usually have vacancy posters on their window where you pass your C.V in store. Also, local businesses usually have a vacancy section on their own websites where less people will see/apply so it's worth looking for those too. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I will keep looking!

My understanding is that most retail vacancies are only part time as its cheaper for retailers that way. If you have had an office job previously then its worth trying for admin jobs. A lot are advertised via agencies, you need to be proactive with them- contacting them, stressing what you have to offer, checking up but I have known them work for some.

McDonald's is a lot better than a lot of entry level jobs out there. You might even find you actually enjoy it.
Reply 10
Original post by jelly1000
My understanding is that most retail vacancies are only part time as its cheaper for retailers that way. If you have had an office job previously then its worth trying for admin jobs. A lot are advertised via agencies, you need to be proactive with them- contacting them, stressing what you have to offer, checking up but I have known them work for some.

Thank you, I have applied for some admin jobs. Waiting to hear back :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending