The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Offered Teiyko accommodation?

Hi,

So I've just been offered a place for 2016 after being on the waiting list, but have only been offered accommodation at Teikyo University in Durham but will be in Trevs(original college)/Van Mildert.

Does anyone know anything about the Teikyo accommodation? Would I feel excluded/far away from everyone else? :s
Original post by itsConnor_
Hi,

So I've just been offered a place for 2016 after being on the waiting list, but have only been offered accommodation at Teikyo University in Durham but will be in Trevs(original college)/Van Mildert.

Does anyone know anything about the Teikyo accommodation? Would I feel excluded/far away from everyone else? :s

I'm in the same boat. I've been trying to research Teikyo a bit but haven't found out much, however I know that there's more than just a few people from Durham that stay there (Teikyo Uni are there so that their students can practice English and integrate with Durham students, so there would need to be a significant number of Durham students staying there). Plus you'll still be involved in societies in the main college, and you can still be with people in the college buildings and spend the evening with them in their flats if you make friends with people :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Gingerbread101
I'm in the same boat. I've been trying to research Teikyo a bit but haven't found out much, however I know that there's more than just a few people from Durham that stay there (Teikyo Uni are there so that their students can practice English and integrate with Durham students, so there would need to be a significant number of Durham students staying there). Plus you'll still be involved in societies in the main college, and you can still be with people in the college buildings and spend the evening with them in their flats if you make friends with people :smile:

Thanks so much for the reply :smile: anything else you know about Teikyo and the arrangement?
Reply 3
The Teikyo accomodation is just behind St Marys (backing on to Trevelyan). There is a building opposite Van-Mildert listed as Teikyo as well, but that's lecture theatres and offices, rather than bedrooms.

Distance wise, you are looking less than a 5min walk on the flat between bedroom and whichever of Trevs or Mildert you get allocated to.

Have they indicated whether it is catered through at your college, catered elsewhere, or self-catered accommodation?
Reply 4
Original post by dave134
The Teikyo accomodation is just behind St Marys (backing on to Trevelyan). There is a building opposite Van-Mildert listed as Teikyo as well, but that's lecture theatres and offices, rather than bedrooms.

Distance wise, you are looking less than a 5min walk on the flat between bedroom and whichever of Trevs or Mildert you get allocated to.

Have they indicated whether it is catered through at your college, catered elsewhere, or self-catered accommodation?

Yeah you would eat in your college. Do you think it's worth it (going this year to Tokyo vs next year in college)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by itsConnor_
Yeah you would eat in your college. Do you think it's worth it (going this year to Tokyo vs next year in college)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going this year rather than taking the gap year option, but that's mainly because I want to keep at the same speed as my friends :smile: plus most people move out in 2nd year anyway so it's only a year
Reply 6
It's your decision to make as to whether you defer, but in your position I'd go this year.

The distance between Teikyo and either of the colleges is small enough that there shouldn't be any issues socially, get involved with the college societies and activities, and you won't notice an extra 5mins from your room (although living in a small detached block rather than a large college building can have some serious advantages when it comes to the inevitable 4am fire alarms...)
Reply 7
Really nice place and very close to the Oriental museum and to Van Mildert and Trevs. In fact you have a shorter walk than many in the Bailey colleges because their accommodation is spread around. and not under one roof as many think.
Hi Guys! I've been in this accommodation for first year and do not fear! It is next to fergeson the main marys building- a 30 second walk! and you have your own common room and the best porters and cleaners! I emailed to complain originally because I was so worried- but there is a majority of marys students and I would not have changed a thing! You are super lucky if you get allocated here!
@Elizabeth.lea
Sorry I can't PM you about Teikyo!!
So exciting you got allocated there! To answer your questions- they have all the things that the marys building has except I think they're actually slightly nicer rooms- orange curtains rather than multicoloured! I didn't feel left out socially at all- I know so many marys people and made my closest friends in Teikyo- it's an even better place than the main building to make friends in my opinion! In my teikyo building there were about 8 per corridor and two sets of toilets. You'll love it- promise.

Abi
Thank you so much for the help! Getting very excited again after the initial worry!! :smile: I can't wait to go in September!

Quick Reply

Latest