The Student Room Group

My cousin is really upset about her AS Grades

My cousin who sat her A Level exams received these grades
C- Sociology (doesn't count this year)
D- Health and Social Care (counts this year)
E- Biology (doesn't count this year)
I advised her to retake health and social care while she's in year 13 but carry on with biology and sociology since they both don't count this year and she needs biology for the degree she wants to do. Her enrolment day for year 13 is this tuesday any suggestions?
That would seem pretty sensible or she could retake the year and ve commited to improving. She has one chance to retake AS old syllabus in 2017. Maube she would be ok with sociology, but biology is a lot to make up, hence being suitable for a resit. Its a long jump from E to A or B.
My friend also received the same grades during 2013 AS exams, C in chemistry D in Physics and E in Maths, he spent one whole year studying for repeating his AS exams, and in the next year 2014, he got straight 4 As with a additional 4th subject English.
My advice to you is to talk to her and convince her that bad AS grades doesn't mean that it's the end of the world, she can always try again and succeed.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
That would seem pretty sensible or she could retake the year and ve commited to improving. She has one chance to retake AS old syllabus in 2017. Maube she would be ok with sociology, but biology is a lot to make up, hence being suitable for a resit. Its a long jump from E to A or B.

She's not doing the old syllabus she's doing the new specification so her sociology and biology AS grade does not count towards her final grade for the at A Level. Yes there is a big jump from an E to an A but I told her its possible if she really knuckles down this year.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
My friend also received the same grades during 2013 AS exams, C in chemistry D in Physics and E in Maths, he spent one whole year studying for repeating his AS exams, and in the next year 2014, he got straight 4 As with a additional 4th subject English.
My advice to you is to talk to her and convince her that bad AS grades doesn't mean that it's the end of the world, she can always try again and succeed.

Do you suggest she repeats the year? since its the new A Level and her sociology and biology do not count this year do you think she should carry it on and work really hard? As I said I thought she should repeat her health and social care AS as it did count for 50% of her A Level.
Original post by MMR16
She's not doing the old syllabus she's doing the new specification so her sociology and biology AS grade does not count towards her final grade for the at A Level. Yes there is a big jump from an E to an A but I told her its possible if she really knuckles down this year.

She has to be realistic and honest about her ability and how motivated she is.
Original post by MMR16
Do you suggest she repeats the year? since its the new A Level and her sociology and biology do not count this year do you think she should carry it on and work really hard? As I said I thought she should repeat her health and social care AS as it did count for 50% of her A Level.

Well it depends on her, tell her to talk to her school advisors. If she's confident enough, then go ahead and carry it forward to AL.
Reply 7
She has to be realistic and honest about her ability and how motivated she is.

That is true I think she is willing to put in the hard work so I told her to carry on with sociology and biology and retake her health and social care AS we'll have to see what her sixth form says on enrolment day about this option
Reply 8
Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
Well it depends on her, tell her to talk to her school advisors. If she's confident enough, then go ahead and carry it forward to AL.

Ok i'll speak to her and thank you for your help
Original post by MMR16
Ok i'll speak to her and thank you for your help

Anytime :smile:
Original post by MMR16
That is true I think she is willing to put in the hard work so I told her to carry on with sociology and biology and retake her health and social care AS we'll have to see what her sixth form says on enrolment day about this option

Its about timing. she should talk to her teachers. Id be wary of needing to make such a big improvement.
Reply 11
Its about timing. she should talk to her teachers. Id be wary of needing to make such a big improvement.

yeah lets see what her teachers say first and thank you for your help
Original post by MMR16
yeah lets see what her teachers say first and thank you for your help

Just speak to your cousin and remind them there are obvious solutions and she can improve her situation.

Quick Reply

Latest