The Student Room Group

Should I re-apply to Oxford?

I applied to Oxford for Physics for entry this year, but was rejected. When I applied I had pretty mediocre grades (I coasted through GCSEs); 6 A*s, 4 As and a B at GCSE, and AAAB at AS level. I was rejected from Oxford, but given offers from Durham, Lancaster, York and Exeter. As it stands, I'm off to Lancaster in October.

However, my academic record has dramatically improved this year. I took two extra ASs and three A levels, and ended up with A*A*A* at A level (maths, further maths and physics) and AA at AS level - so I now have AAAAAB at AS level (maths, f maths, additional f maths, physics, chemistry and german).

Is it worth reapplying? I got told I was a "borderline candidate" in my feedback letter last year - and seeing as my grades have improved so much, would I have a much greater chance?

The other thing is, when I applied the first time I wasn't too fussed about getting in. Having actually tried really hard this year and come out with A*A*A* + AA, I feel like it's something I should think about?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yesss, definitely re-apply

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Yes! You can't get any better than A*A*A*, just make sure your personal statement and interview are perfect, then there will be no reason why they shouldn't let you in. Apply for Cambridge as well. Good luck!
Original post by loveire&song
I applied to Oxford for Physics for entry this year, but was rejected. When I applied I had pretty mediocre grades (I coasted through GCSEs); 6 A*s, 4 As and a B at GCSE, and AAAB at AS level. I was rejected from Oxford, but given offers from Durham, Lancaster, York and Exeter. As it stands, I'm off to Lancaster in October.

However, my academic record has dramatically improved this year. I took two extra ASs and three A levels, and ended up with A*A*A* at A level (maths, further maths and physics) and AA at AS level - so I now have AAAAAB at AS level (maths, f maths, additional f maths, physics, chemistry and german).

Is it worth reapplying? I got told I was a "borderline candidate" in my feedback letter last year - and seeing as my grades have improved so much, would I have a much greater chance?

The other thing is, when I applied the first time I wasn't too fussed about getting in. Having actually tried really hard this year and come out with A*A*A* + AA, I feel like it's something I should think about?

You're really the only person who can answer this because it depends on how desperate you are to get in. My personal recommendation would be to not reapply because I'm not convinced that being at Oxford is worth delaying university by an entire year (unless you've got some particularly interesting plans) and of course there's still the chance that you won't get in second time round. Having said that, if you were considered to be a "borderline candidate" last year then you probably have got a decent chance of getting in this time. If you think you'll be able to spend your gap year wisely and you're prepared to accept the risk that you would get rejected twice then I guess there's no massive harm in trying, but I'm still not convinced that it's worth it.
Original post by sean9876
Yes! You can't get any better than A*A*A*, just make sure your personal statement and interview are perfect, then there will be no reason why they shouldn't let you in. Apply for Cambridge as well. Good luck!

You can't apply to both.
Reply 4
Original post by Plagioclase
You're really the only person who can answer this because it depends on how desperate you are to get in. My personal recommendation would be to not reapply because I'm not convinced that being at Oxford is worth delaying university by an entire year (unless you've got some particularly interesting plans) and of course there's still the chance that you won't get in second time round. Having said that, if you were considered to be a "borderline candidate" last year then you probably have got a decent chance of getting in this time. If you think you'll be able to spend your gap year wisely and you're prepared to accept the risk that you would get rejected twice then I guess there's no massive harm in trying, but I'm still not convinced that it's worth it.

You can't apply to both.

Ah yes, I always forget that. Oops.
Reply 5
Would definitely re-apply. You're going to Lancaster with Oxbridge credentials. Of course, the workload at Oxford will be much more than at Lancaster so bear that in mind.
What was your score on the PAT last year?

Thank you for your reply! Yeah, that's basically along the lines of what I was thinking. As I hadn't planned for a gap year (I was aiming for A*A*A* but expecting A*AA so I didn't think about what to do if I actually got it) I don't have anything particularly interesting I would do. I could go back to school and finish chemistry to A level - my school lets us stay on for "year 14" if we want to - but as it's normally people who don't do as well as planned that do that, I don't see any point. I'd probably try and work in germany for a bit and work towards my Zertifikat Deutsch - something I'd planned on doing post-degree.

Also good point about possible second rejection - I was completely fine last time because I didn't really care about getting in, but I think if I were to apply again I would take being rejected quite badly.

I guess I can always do the cliched "oh well, I'll apply there for my masters / phd" :wink:
Original post by hellomynameisr
What was your score on the PAT last year?

1 mark off interview threshold (with one week's revision)
Thank you for your reply! Yeah, that's basically along the lines of what I was thinking. As I hadn't planned for a gap year (I was aiming for A*A*A* but expecting A*AA so I didn't think about what to do if I actually got it) I don't have anything particularly interesting I would do. I could go back to school and finish chemistry to A level - my school lets us stay on for "year 14" if we want to - but as it's normally people who don't do as well as planned that do that, I don't see any point. I'd probably try and work in germany for a bit and work towards my Zertifikat Deutsch - something I'd planned on doing post-degree.

Also good point about possible second rejection - I was completely fine last time because I didn't really care about getting in, but I think if I were to apply again I would take being rejected quite badly.

I guess I can always do the cliched "oh well, I'll apply there for my masters / phd" :wink:

Viel Erfolg!
Viel Erfolg!

Danke!
Defo, those are amazing results!

Posted from TSR Mobile
They don't really care too much for results since, whilst yours are exceptional, everyone is likely going to be predicted at least two A*s. The only thing that will really determine whether or not you get an offer will be your PAT results and interview performance, but if I were in your shoes I'd definitely go for it as you probably have a decent chance.
Original post by JRKinder
They don't really care too much for results since, whilst yours are exceptional, everyone is likely going to be predicted at least two A*s. The only thing that will really determine whether or not you get an offer will be your PAT results and interview performance, but if I were in your shoes I'd definitely go for it as you probably have a decent chance.

Yup, I know my A levels won't definitely get me a place (and that a lot of people that get offers take 4 A levels and get A*A*A*A*, which is a much, much bigger achievement than 3) , but I feel like if I was considered "borderline" with only AAAB, I must have a much better chance now. I was predicted A*A*A* when I applied, but I feel like the fact I've actually achieved those grades will work in my favour as lots of people are over-predicted?

I didn't revise much for the PAT last year - only one week over half term (as I'd pretty much written off my chances of getting in with my GCSEs and a B in german AS) but I still was one mark off the interview threshold, so I'd hopefully do a lot better if I were to do it again.

Thank you for replying :smile:
Yup, I know my A levels won't definitely get me a place (and that a lot of people that get offers take 4 A levels and get A*A*A*A*, which is a much, much bigger achievement than 3) , but I feel like if I was considered "borderline" with only AAAB, I must have a much better chance now. I was predicted A*A*A* when I applied, but I feel like the fact I've actually achieved those grades will work in my favour as lots of people are over-predicted?

I didn't revise much for the PAT last year - only one week over half term (as I'd pretty much written off my chances of getting in with my GCSEs and a B in german AS) but I still was one mark off the interview threshold, so I'd hopefully do a lot better if I were to do it again.

Thank you for replying :smile:
People really need to stop worrying about their exam results when applying to Oxford, your GCSE results are contextualised so as long as you got good results for your school then they won't care what they are. And the B at AS won't have affected their decision since your skill at German is irrelevent to your ability to do Physics. So really what you want to do now is take solace in the fact that if you do receive an offer, you won't have to go through a daunting exam period to meet it. But seriously, stop worrying because your exam results were fine both last year and this year :smile:

My advice now would be to just practise the PAT as much as possible before November, and then look on YouTube or something for interview guides, because that honestly is all that will determine whether or not you get in. Oxford sometimes don't even read personal statements before the interview lol

Just out of interest which college are you applying to? I had an interview at Brasenose for PPE last year but didn't get in annoyingly, but I'm going to be reapplying this year too! My grades aren't quite as impressive as yours - only A*AA lol - but as I said that really doesn't matter too much :wink:
People really need to stop worrying about their exam results when applying to Oxford, your GCSE results are contextualised so as long as you got good results for your school then they won't care what they are. And the B at AS won't have affected their decision since your skill at German is irrelevent to your ability to do Physics. So really what you want to do now is take solace in the fact that if you do receive an offer, you won't have to go through a daunting exam period to meet it. But seriously, stop worrying because your exam results were fine both last year and this year :smile:

My advice now would be to just practise the PAT as much as possible before November, and then look on YouTube or something for interview guides, because that honestly is all that will determine whether or not you get in. Oxford sometimes don't even read personal statements before the interview lol

Just out of interest which college are you applying to? I had an interview at Brasenose for PPE last year but didn't get in annoyingly, but I'm going to be reapplying this year too! My grades aren't quite as impressive as yours - only A*AA lol - but as I said that really doesn't matter too much :wink:

Unfortunately (in this context! I'm very grateful otherwise :tongue:) I went to a state grammar school, so 6 A*s really was mediocre for my year - the average was 4 or 5! That's why I'm hoping my A level results (there were only 2 other people who got three A*s) would make up for that.

I also applied to Brasenose last year! Is that where you'll be applying again? A*AA is definitely impressive (I kind of feel like taking such similar subjects makes my grades kind of cheating - imo maths, further and physics is definitely the easiest combination for A*s :tongue:).

Good luck for your application! I'm still deciding whether or not it's worth reapplying, but if I do, hopefully I'll see you there!
Whatever you decide, do come back and post an update, as I'm sure a lot of people will be curious to know what you choose to do!
Unfortunately (in this context! I'm very grateful otherwise :tongue:) I went to a state grammar school, so 6 A*s really was mediocre for my year - the average was 4 or 5! That's why I'm hoping my A level results (there were only 2 other people who got three A*s) would make up for that.

I also applied to Brasenose last year! Is that where you'll be applying again? A*AA is definitely impressive (I kind of feel like taking such similar subjects makes my grades kind of cheating - imo maths, further and physics is definitely the easiest combination for A*s :tongue:).

Good luck for your application! I'm still deciding whether or not it's worth reapplying, but if I do, hopefully I'll see you there!
Ah, that's a bit irritating, but yeah your A Levels will count more than GCSEs so really you'll be fine. My school is so bad compared to yours haha, I think our average grade was a C and only 60-something % got 5 or more A*-C grades. Only 6 people got any A*s at all at A Level this year!

I was thinking of applying to Brasenose again, but since I did the interview last year it might be a bit awkward talking to the same professors again lol. My best friend is at St Hilda's College studying maths this year, so I'll probably end up applying to there. If we do both get in though, I may see you anyway because I know about 5 people at Brasenose so I'll probably be around and about. I'm actually a bit annoyed with my A Levels because I was hoping for 2 A*s, I did Maths (A*) and Physics too, but missed out by a few marks in Physics. Somehow got an A* in the big paper but not in the shorter one, which I was surprised about. I also did Politics but essay subjects are quite hard to get A*s in, at least for me since I'm more comfortable around numbers lol.

Thanks though, good luck to you too! Let me know if you do decide to reapply, I'd definitely do so though if I were you. Not to put Lancaster down, but you can get into somewhere much better with your grades. If not Oxford then you probably have a good chance at Imperial.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah, that's a bit irritating, but yeah your A Levels will count more than GCSEs so really you'll be fine. My school is so bad compared to yours haha, I think our average grade was a C and only 60-something % got 5 or more A*-C grades. Only 6 people got any A*s at all at A Level this year!

I was thinking of applying to Brasenose again, but since I did the interview last year it might be a bit awkward talking to the same professors again lol. My best friend is at St Hilda's College studying maths this year, so I'll probably end up applying to there. If we do both get in though, I may see you anyway because I know about 5 people at Brasenose so I'll probably be around and about. I'm actually a bit annoyed with my A Levels because I was hoping for 2 A*s, I did Maths (A*) and Physics too, but missed out by a few marks in Physics. Somehow got an A* in the big paper but not in the shorter one, which I was surprised about. I also did Politics but essay subjects are quite hard to get A*s in, at least for me since I'm more comfortable around numbers lol.

Thanks though, good luck to you too! Let me know if you do decide to reapply, I'd definitely do so though if I were you. Not to put Lancaster down, but you can get into somewhere much better with your grades. If not Oxford then you probably have a good chance at Imperial.

Hey, it's generally a better idea to try your luck with a different college :yep: Hilda's is a great bet!
Reply 19
I am also reapplying (and I feel I write about it all the time, maybe I should change my name to "thereapplicant"... :biggrin:)
And I really would not want to apply to the same college again. Of course it's not forbidden or anything but just the thought of having another interview with that guy where I really messed up the interview is terrifying me. I even worry about the fact that this guy might be at an interview at another college too... (I remember from one of my other interviews -this one went okay- that one of the interviewers was from another college..)
How common is this? And between which colleges do they normally do that if they do it? (I know that it seems weird but after the impression I feel that I left last year, this guy will never consider me seriously :biggrin:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending