The Student Room Group

How do I stop obsessing over the sick ways some animals are treated?

I watch video on factory farms and slaughter houses and it really pisses me off how these animals are treated. The videos I see, the animals aren't even killed humanely- the only word to describe it is they are tortured to death.

I feel so powerless to stop this. There ain't **** I can do yet I still obsess over it. Its all I've been thinking about the past while. I keep wondering what they are thinking before they're killed? do they know whats coming? do they understand how bleak their position is from their point of view?

Scroll to see replies

Most animals are treated humanely in the UK if that makes you feel better. They get stunned so they feel no pain, and they aren't stunned or killed in front of other animals.
Reply 2
Unfortunately there's nothing you can do but get over it.
Reply 3
Original post by loginrunner
Most animals are treated humanely in the UK if that makes you feel better. They get stunned so they feel no pain, and they aren't stunned or killed in front of other animals.

I hope you're right. However, I have seen many reports that state otherwise and I have seen footage, so I don't know what to believe. Is it at least illegal to kill an animal without stunning it in the uk?
Go on liveleak and watch more vids of it so you get desensitised.
Original post by willis23
I hope you're right. However, I have seen many reports that state otherwise and I have seen footage, so I don't know what to believe. Is it at least illegal to kill an animal without stunning it in the uk?

Yes.

"The law states that, with few exemptions, all animals must be stunned before ‘sticking’ is carried out."
- https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/farm/slaughter/factfile

The exemptions are for Jewish and Muslim meat.
Reply 6
Original post by loginrunner
Most animals are treated humanely in the UK if that makes you feel better. They get stunned so they feel no pain

lol thats humane apparently.... :rofl:
Reply 7
I watch video on factory farms and slaughter houses and it really pisses me off how these animals are treated. The videos I see, the animals aren't even killed humanely- the only word to describe it is they are tortured to death.

I feel so powerless to stop this. There ain't **** I can do yet I still obsess over it. Its all I've been thinking about the past while. I keep wondering what they are thinking before they're killed? do they know whats coming? do they understand how bleak their position is from their point of view?

One thing you can do is go vegan.

Not only would you be doing your physical and mental health a favor, but you'd also be helping the environment. All whilst you say NO to contributing to how animals are treated (which is what you obviously are so concerned about).

You should watch Cowspiracy, Best Speech You Will Ever Hear - Gary Yourofsky, Farm to Fridge, Forks over Knives to really help you open your eyes to what is happening.

Good luck.
Reply 8
true change comes from within. You should change yourself first in order to change the world. Idealistic as it may sound, i base my actions on this motto. Having said that it is my firm belief that you should consider changing your diet. Veganism and vegetarianism are two lifestyles that are formed due to the violent and inhumane practices that killing animals concern. You may not yet be ready to start your journey to a meat-free diet but as you watch more and more documentaries on meat industry you form a belief. And if a belief is unwavering, true change is going to come.
Reply 9
I do care. Its just I cant stand the suffering that these animals go thorough. There must be another way.

Is there something wrong with me for caring about an animals feelings this much?
Reply 10
Original post by Wring
One thing you can do is go vegan.

Not only would you be doing your physical and mental health a favor, but you'd also be helping the environment. All whilst you say NO to contributing to how animals are treated (which is what you obviously are so concerned about).

You should watch Cowspiracy, Best Speech You Will Ever Hear - Gary Yourofsky, Farm to Fridge, Forks over Knives to really help you open your eyes to what is happening.

Good luck.

I could go vegan. I might try it. Though at the end of the day it really isn't going to be effective at all.
Reply 11
Original post by evancheng
true change comes from within. You should change yourself first in order to change the world. Idealistic as it may sound, i base my actions on this motto. Having said that it is my firm belief that you should consider changing your diet. Veganism and vegetarianism are two lifestyles that are formed due to the violent and inhumane practices that killing animals concern. You may not yet be ready to start your journey to a meat-free diet but as you watch more and more documentaries on meat industry you form a belief. And if a belief is unwavering, true change is going to come.

I think change is impossible.
Reply 12
I could go vegan. I might try it. Though at the end of the day it really isn't going to be effective at all.

I know it wont stop the suffering of animals, but every single person has a choice to not contribute to it.

It will be effective though, because every single person counts and you eating animals definitely will not help, right?
Don't eat halal meat.

Why do you care so much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

why? you don't believe veganism is effective?

Taking an action and getting involved can really help. It stops you feeling useless.

There have been vast improvements in food production over the last 50 years. Long way to go but its not even comparable to how it was before.
Reply 17
Original post by davidguettafan
Why do you care so much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Empathy.
Reply 18
Original post by evancheng
why? you don't believe veganism is effective?

Idk. It probably is in some way. What do you think?
Reply 19
Original post by skeptical_john
Taking an action and getting involved can really help. It stops you feeling useless.

That's true. Are you a veggie/vegan?

There have been vast improvements in food production over the last 50 years. Long way to go but its not even comparable to how it was before.

You mean in term of animal welfare?

Quick Reply

Latest