The Student Room Group
I enjoyed it.

However, it totally ruined my chances of getting into university and made life much harder for me.

I would not choose it again
Reply 2
Original post by IFoundWonderland
I enjoyed it.

However, it totally ruined my chances of getting into university and made life much harder for me.

I would not choose it again

wait why did it ruin your chances?
Original post by gameofno
wait why did it ruin your chances?

University offers rely on too many variables.

I got 38 765 765 2

My Cambridge offer was 42 776
My Durham offer was 38 666

I was rejected by both.

If I'd had two more UMS on each subject I'd have had 42 776 766
Original post by IFoundWonderland
University offers rely on too many variables.

I got 38 765 765 2

My Cambridge offer was 42 776
My Durham offer was 38 666

I was rejected by both.

If I'd had two more UMS on each subject I'd have had 42 776 766

Are you going to uni next year? Can you resit on IB?
Original post by hezzlington
Are you going to uni next year? Can you resit on IB?

I resat two subjects and have been predicted 41 775 776

I don't think I did enough tbh (this year has not been a good year and it really impacted my revision).

I have UCL as my firm and an unconditional from Bristol as my insurance.
I really enjoyed IB throughout both years. It was hard at times especially when there were coursework deadlines which overlapped with each other. But I found that ensuring you enjoyed the topics you choose for those rather than trying to find an easy option worked best.

I definitely don't regret taking the course and even if I don't meet my offers when I get results in July, I still won't because it helped me keep my options open for the future and gave me two great years of work that was actually interesting and good preparation for uni.

If you're thinking of doing IB then just go for it but be prepared to work hard and try to manage your deadlines and be organised throughout (saved me a lot of stress). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want any advice (I'm post exams now so therefore have a lot of free time on my hands :smile:).
Reply 7
Original post by meredythclaire
I really enjoyed IB throughout both years. It was hard at times especially when there were coursework deadlines which overlapped with each other. But I found that ensuring you enjoyed the topics you choose for those rather than trying to find an easy option worked best.

I definitely don't regret taking the course and even if I don't meet my offers when I get results in July, I still won't because it helped me keep my options open for the future and gave me two great years of work that was actually interesting and good preparation for uni.

If you're thinking of doing IB then just go for it but be prepared to work hard and try to manage your deadlines and be organised throughout (saved me a lot of stress). Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or want any advice (I'm post exams now so therefore have a lot of free time on my hands :smile:).

great,thank you for your response! :biggrin:
Reply 8
I personally loved my IB experience. I certainly feel that a lot of people over exaggerate the amount of work you have to do, which is perfectly manageable up until perhaps the last couple semesters when it gets a bit hectic.
My advice would be to make sure you get your EE out of the way during the summer, as when you come back you'll have a LOT of IA's to hand in, and often at the same time.
Try to take advantage of the fact that the school wants you to do well, which sometimes means teachers are willing to lend a hand if they see you've put in a lot of effort into your work (many teachers can give you informal hints or tips on how to better shape your IA's or presentations)
Also, make sure you pick subjects you genuinely enjoy. I loved every single one of my subjects, and this made the work so much easier to finish, and actually made it feel less like "work" in the first place.
For all the horror stories told about the IB, I found I was still able to hang out with friends at least once a week, and we usually spent a few hours after school ended just socializing anyway. It's definitely an enjoyable program if you learn to manage your time correctly, and I'd recommend it to anyone!
Insofar, it's okay.

The IB gets hyperbolised. So whilst the actual tests and stress that comes from studying an intensive course can affect you, it's this psychology of having everyone else freak you out that can be even harder to deal with at times. That being said, your two years of studying it are going to be a relentless grind of doing homework, a lot of coursework, and revision. IB kind of throws you into the deep end at first, and you end up learning what works best for you on-the-job. One thing you can't forgo, however, is a schedule and/or some sort of thing that you can use to keep track of when your various assignments and core whatever are due. Eight subjects - including the EE and TOK - is a lot to deal with, so you will thank yourself if you learn how to manage your time instead of juggling it precariously.

I've actually enjoyed most of my subjects. A lot of the courses I initially hated were the ones that I started to like towards the end of Year 12. They've certainly made me think about things more deeply, and I often find myself referring to whatever material I've learned in class in real life. School's starting tomorrow, and I'm actually slightly excited to learn more. In particular, my philosophy teacher kind of hyped up the fact that we're going to be the first cohort in my school that's going to study political philosophy, so it's kind of cool that we get to beta-test the IB. Finishing all of my IAs and stuff between September-December whilst managing tests and uni applications, on the other hand, is probably going to be a little bit less enjoyable. :s-smilie:
I have finished the IB with 42 points this year. It is a very challenging program, and the first year is going to be more difficult than the second year (at least this was the case for me), due to the fact that you have to get used to the never ending assignments and tests. However, overtime things will start to get better (provided that you work hard and pay attention in classes). The key to doing well in the IB is to constantly revise. It is important to go up to your teachers if you have any questions. Remember that teachers are your best friends at school- they will guide you. I would say that if you work hard, you should be able to get a respectable score (35+).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Peterchios
I have finished the IB with 42 points this year. It is a very challenging program, and the first year is going to be more difficult than the second year (at least this was the case for me), due to the fact that you have to get used to the never ending assignments and tests. However, overtime things will start to get better (provided that you work hard and pay attention in classes). The key to doing well in the IB is to constantly revise. It is important to go up to your teachers if you have any questions. Remember that teachers are your best friends at school- they will guide you. I would say that if you work hard, you should be able to get a respectable score (35+).

I just started ib this yr! What are you hoping to study at uni if u dont mind me asking?
Oh and any tips on how i can come up with a good IA in bio? :smile:
Thanks in advance
I'm only in pre-ib and i'm dropping out

Latest

Trending

Trending