The Student Room Group

A homosexual CofE Bishop!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RobML
Where does the bible outlaw homosexual relationships? It's only gay sex iirc

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're in a relationship but not having sex it isn't much of a relationship, is it? :laugh:
Reply 81
Yes? He's celibate, anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
Where does the bible outlaw homosexual relationships? It's only gay sex iirc

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't and anyway, it's pretty obvious that Jesus and some of his disciples are gay, all that kissing and brotherly love and keeping the women out of the circle. Being gay or bisexual in the sort of aristocratic circles Jesus probably moved in was pretty widespread then anyway, they followed Greek-influenced sexual and philosophical culture.
I expect more people have a relationship without sex than we imagine. I also think that within many churches there are men who are homosexually inclined but celebate including clergy. You have to remember that homosexuality would have been illegal for any man under 21 until the 1990s, and that very few men born even in the early 1960s would have come out before the 1990s. So becoming a vicar or priest would mean no questions being asked by anyone as to their sexuality.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I didn't say you'd quoted it, did I? In your second post on the front page of this thread, you said
"
.... The Bible makes it abundantly clear in both Old and New Testaments that homosexual acts are sin. If he doesn't believe this he should not be a bishop and his authority should be taken from him, simple as... "

Please stop citing the Old Testament as your evidence if you don't believe it is evidence of God's intent. If you do believe it is, please stop claiming elsewhere that only the New Testament is a valid source of God's will.

It is a sin
It doesn't and anyway, it's pretty obvious that Jesus and some of his disciples are gay, all that kissing and brotherly love and keeping the women out of the circle. Being gay or bisexual in the sort of aristocratic circles Jesus probably moved in was pretty widespread then anyway, they followed Greek-influenced sexual and philosophical culture.

This is so typical of modern scholarship to apply our values to a culture 2,000 years ago.

Before homosexuality entered mainstream consciousness, soldiers used to walk down the street holding hands, spartan warriors used to kiss each other before battle. It didn't mean they were gay. Men weren't so afraid of being affectionate, now they're all worried about being called gay if they show any kind of emotion.

Your logic of "men being physically affectionate => gay" is one of the main ways we train our modern men to be emotionally stunted. Congratulations.

Please don't read back into history with 21st century values. It's incredibly ignorant.

For the matter at hand, one thing is certain, allowing homosexual priests and then somehow expecting bishops to all be heterosexual is bizarre.

Unfortunately, the Church of England is hung together with a series of odd paradoxes designed to keep everyone happy when in reality the traditionalists will never be happy with homosexuality and the liberals will never stop pushing the agenda. It's destined for another big split despite the best efforts of Welby & his predecessor.

SS
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Supersaps

Please don't read back into history with 21st century values. It's incredibly ignorant.

Can I suggest you read something about all the evidence for homosexual practises in the ancient world, before stating that they didn't happen?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_homosexuality

For the matter at hand, one thing is certain, allowing homosexual priests and then somehow expecting bishops to all be heterosexual is bizarre.

Unfortunately, the Church of England is hung together with a series of odd paradoxes designed to keep everyone happy when in reality the traditionalists will never be happy with homosexuality and the liberals will never stop pushing the agenda. It's destined for another big split despite the best efforts of Welby & his predecessor.

It's true that it's predictable that some bishops will be gay. They always have been, it's just been hidden before.

Nobody is pushing an agenda, as I understand it, the struggle for gay people within organised religions like Christianity is for non-judgemental attitudes. Unfortunately, they are up against profound bigotry and homophobia, which is what we see in this thread coming from some of the 'religious'.

It's strange how often a religion of peace and love is invoked to support agendas of hate.
Original post by leavingthecity
Where have I heard that before, oh yeah...me!

I'm still up to discuss.
Original post by TheDailyMan
It is a sin

you're a sin

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can I suggest you read something about all the evidence for homosexual practises in the ancient world, before stating that they didn't happen?

Holy ****. How's that strawman doing?

I'm clearly not saying homosexuality didn't exist - St Paul, in fact, writes about it. I am saying it wasn't part of 'mainstream consciousness' and they didn't label men as gay just because they were affectionate with one another (Unlike you.)

SS

It's true that it's predictable that some bishops will be gay. They always have been, it's just been hidden before.

Nobody is pushing an agenda, as I understand it, the struggle for gay people within organised religions like Christianity is for non-judgemental attitudes. Unfortunately, they are up against profound bigotry and homophobia, which is what we see in this thread coming from some of the 'religious'.

It's strange how often a religion of peace and love is invoked to support agendas of hate.

I think Christianophobia is becoming more prevalent than homophobia
Holy ****. How's that strawman doing?

I'm clearly not saying homosexuality didn't exist - St Paul, in fact, writes about it. I am saying it wasn't part of 'mainstream consciousness' and they didn't label men as gay just because they were affectionate with one another (Unlike you.)

SS

And that has what relevance? I didn't say Jesus was called gay by his supporters. I said he was gay, eg, from the texts, he clearly had homosexual orientation. After all, what else is all that stuff about "the disciple he loved" and "his beloved disciple" about, if not that? The fact that the NT doesn't call it that is irrelevant.
Original post by StudyJosh
I think Christianophobia is becoming more prevalent than homophobia

People are just much more informed nowadays and easily recognise the main tenets of 'official Christianity', such as virgin birth, the holy Trinity, Jesus as God / Son of God / God-imbued man, miracles, ascension, etc, etc, as so much nonsense. Without all that clobber, organised Christ-ians have a hard time doing the convincing and most new recruits to Christianity these days are either the less educated and dimmer sort of people, or else are simply moving between sects. (Most evidence points to the latter.)
People are just much more informed nowadays and easily recognise the main tenets of 'official Christianity', such as virgin birth, the holy Trinity, Jesus as God / Son of God / God-imbued man, miracles, ascension, etc, etc, as so much nonsense. Without all that clobber, organised Christ-ians have a hard time doing the convincing and most new recruits to Christianity these days are either the less educated and dimmer sort of people, or else are simply moving between sects. (Most evidence points to the latter.)

2 Thessalonians 2:11 : And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2 Thessalonians 2:11 : And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

Oh no. A holy book that claims that anyone who doesn't accept it is damned. Now there's a real shocker, they don't usually do that.
Oh no. A holy book that claims that anyone who doesn't accept it is damned. Now there's a real shocker, they don't usually do that.

Eve deceived Adam
Homos are mentally ill

the irony is that jesus encouraged you to love outcasts and sick people, and lying is also a sin, and as there's heaps of evidence as to why being gay is not an illness, you're sinning twice! nice one! let's eradicate sin by sinning! i love religion!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by snikerio
the irony is that jesus encouraged you to love outcasts and sick people, but youre an idiot, so never mind

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't say i had anything against them, only that its a sin and there mentally unwell.

If you don't agree with it, it's because the DEVIL made you.
Shows what you know about relationships...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending