The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

is it only me or has religion ruined the world?.

especially islam - isis.
They have ruined our lives with all their terror attacks.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by scaredofdeath
especially islam - isis.

Islam has near 1.5 billion people, please stop these gross generalisations.

"All generalisations are false, even this one." - Mark Twain.
Original post by mcneill98
Islam has near 1.5 billion people, please stop these gross generalisations.

"All generalisations are false, even this one." - Mark Twain.

Yes but most terrorists are muslim.
Yh I sort of agree but does anyone else wonder if there was no such thing as religion would we have morals to begin with ? I've left Islam not that long ago and this has been on my mind for a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd argue modern religion pretty much saved civilisation and made it what it is.

After the fall of the Roman Empire, we could have been in the Dark Ages for much much longer than we were - long enough to descend into a spiral of barbarity. The gaps where the Roman Empire was - the things that it filled- government, judiciary, education, law and order - these were filled by pretty much the only remaining establishment in Europe - the Catholic Church. Say what you like about it, and from a modern perspective it was a rough ride - but it got Europe through to the Renaissance period. There was no such thing as a secular science-based movement that could have stepped in. It just didn't exist, and people weren't sophisticated enough.

No organised religion - at best we'd be somewhere between the Mongols and Tudors right now.
Original post by blck&burgundy
Yh I sort of agree but does anyone else wonder if there was no such thing as religion would we have morals to begin with ? I've left Islam not that long ago and this has been on my mind for a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are only acting morally to be rewarded or avoid punishment, you arent actually behaving morally to begin with are you.

Millions of atheists manage to be moral ...
Original post by blck&burgundy

Posted from TSR Mobile

This comes up a lot by religionists.

I think that humans have inherent morality because of our intelligence that we don't need religion.
I think it's not really about religion, I think it's all about power. They just use religion as an excuse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This comes up a lot by religionists.

I think that humans have inherent morality because of our intelligence that we don't need religion.

I'd say that the human mind has an in-built space for spirituality, and that often gets filled by a religion of belief system of whatever colour. Regardless of intellect, that space is going to exist.

Some people believe in God. Others believe in Buddhist wheels. We all know people that desperately want to believe in flights of fantasy - they want to live in a world of Harry Potter just as much as some people want to go to heaven. That part of the human mind can't be overriden by everyone.
Not everyone needs religion, but often they need something.
Reply 9
Yes, it is only you who has ruined the world.
Reply 10
religion has been around forever - i think the earliest we can trace it back is 250 000 BCE?
like neanderthal times
so i don't think that's it brah...
Yes but most terrorists are muslim.

And you're going to judge the whole group by a handful ?

By that logic every British person drinks tea, is upper class and fancy 'gentlemen' because that is the view of British that many countries have.
Original post by z33
religion has been around forever - i think the earliest we can trace it back is 250 000 BCE?
like neanderthal times
so i don't think that's it brah...

not all religions are the same.
Monotheism has been around for only 3000 years , not since 250000 bce.
Original post by mcneill98
And you're going to judge the whole group by a handful ?

By that logic every British person drinks tea, is upper class and fancy 'gentlemen' because that is the view of British that many countries have.

h
There are tens of thousands of actual muslim terrorists and hundreds of millions who are not terrorists by themselves but support the terrorists.
If ISIS represented Islam, and if every Muslim followed the "Islam" that ISIS follows then none of us would be alive right now - probably something a lot of people have heard before.
Religion has definitely divided the world - "ruined" I don't agree with.
h
There are tens of thousands of actual muslim terrorists and hundreds of millions who are not terrorists by themselves but support the terrorists.

You lose credibility with every post mate. No wonder they've shown a correlation between low IQ and racism/sectarianism.
Original post by Sarah1778
If ISIS represented Islam, and if every Muslim followed the "Islam" that ISIS follows then none of us would be alive right now - probably something a lot of people have heard before.
Religion has definitely divided the world - "ruined" I don't agree with.

Divided and ruined.
Look at the middle east the place is a hellhole.
Look at muslim areas in europe - Hellholes.
Reply 17
especially islam - isis.

Give one example of a way your life has changed since the rise of Daesh due to their actions.
Divided and ruined.
Look at the middle east the place is a hellhole.
Look at muslim areas in europe - Hellholes.

The thing with members of other religions is that they adapt. For example, Hindus coming to Britain usually become Westernised. Or the fact that there are few true Christians left who actually stick to all the rules because they adapt to modern day life. Islam is different because it doesn't really adapt, and of course non-religious countries or people don't really like that. A lot of the Middle East's problems could be solved by Western countries minding their own business and Muslims stop fighting amongst each other. And the problems in Muslim areas in Europe are mostly because non-religious people don't mind their own business, for example the whole France burkini ban thing. The problem isn't religion, it's ignorant people not wanting to get along.
Reply 19
not all religions are the same.
Monotheism has been around for only 3000 years , not since 250000 bce.

and... ? you said "religion ruined the world" not "monotheism ruined the world"
besides idk if it's just me but idg why Islam gets so much hate
it gave women rights over 1000 years before the women's rights movement.
http://www.islamswomen.com/articles/do_muslim_women_have_rights.php
It gave the woman the right to become a legal party in a marriage contract, gave her rights in marriage, inheritance and divorce. The right to work and keep her income for herself. It prohibited female infanticide as well.

it gave animals rights
"The rights of livestock and animals upon man: these are that he spend on them the provision that their kinds require, even if they have aged or sickened such that no benefit comes from them; that he not burden them beyond what they can bear; that he not put them together with anything by which they would be injured, whether of their own kind or other species, and whether by breaking their bones or butting or wounding; that he slaughters them with kindness when he slaughters them, and neither flay their skins nor break their bones until their bodies have become cold and their lives have passed away; that he not slaughter their young within their sight, but that he isolate them; that he makes comfortable their resting places and watering places; that he puts their males and females together during their mating seasons; that he not discard those which he takes as game; and neither shoots them with anything that breaks their bones nor brings about their destruction by any means that renders their meat unlawful to eat. "
again over 1000 years before the protection of animals acts came out

It gave orphans and widows rights and basically gave a voice to the voiceless, just because GoatF**kers International are dropping bombs on everyone (including Muslims) in the name of the religion doesn't make the religion bad. Just because *****y sexist disgusting culture exists in predominantly Muslim countries doesn't mean Islam is to blame.

Das jus mahpinion tnx 4 reddin xoxoxo <333

Latest

Trending

Trending