The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Of course since you're going Kings, you'll convinently only select the single rankings you find where Kings is above LSE. I actually burst out laughing when you first started comparing them. I'm sure everyone else did too.

Same with the other 2. But at least with those slightly it's a different story. Please look at your own sources methodology to see why it's rankings aren't objective truth. But even ignoring that. And forgetting about the last sentence in my post you decided to ignore. At least they can be mentioned in the same conversation as KCL. They may be better, but arguments can be made nonetheless. But you CANNOT compare LSE to KCL.

You can call it baseless all you want. But I'm not going to sit here and lose brain cells explaining what should be common knowledge. Multiple people have told you to just drop it.

Infact, go on the KCL subforum and ask if it's better than LSE. Even they'll say you're being ridiculous. I've seen bias before but this is a new level
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vividly clear
Are you telling me that you actually know people who went to KING'S COLLEGE LONDON with a BCC at AS?

You're obviously pulling my leg mate.

That is exactly what I'm telling you, I know 2 people in particular who got BCC at AS and went to King's from my college. (biomedical science and the other one was something to do with pharmacology) I obviously wasn't talking about the King's at Cambridge...
Open your eyes, King's is not that great.
Are you telling me that you actually know people who went to KING'S COLLEGE LONDON with a BCC at AS?

You're obviously pulling my leg mate.

Mate its overrated.

Not the same guy. And I know you have both 0 reason to believe me. But I'll say it anyway. Last year, my friend got an offer for BEng electric engineering at Kings. His AS grades were CEE. I'm not even joking. He didn't want to apply. He knew his grades were bad and wanted lesser unis. But he had one of those strict asian parents that wanted a decent london uni. The entry requirements are AAB. He got accepted after roughly 3 weeks.

This year, a girl in our neighboring school missed her offer from Kings by 5 grades and they let her in anyway. Can't remember the course but it was a humanity.
I'm assuming they inflate their grades because they're a good uni with london in their name so they want people to think they have high entry standards and are really prestigious.
LSE wouldn't do something like that in a million years. I don't know why you're still arguing with people saying KCL is comparable. Not only is it wrong, but it's derailing your own thread.

Original post by lawlieto
Open your eyes, King's is not that great.
The guy thinks its one of the best unis in the country because of an international ranking that also factors in things like "arts and culture. In addition to how often the institution does charity work. It even punishes unis with a high student:staff ratio. Which is unavoidable with unis that can afford to accommodate larger amount of people. After a quick read through this thread, I don't think there's any reasoning with him.
(edited 7 years ago)
These threads make for good drama that's for sure :mmm:
Original post by lucabrasi98
Mate its overrated.

Not the same guy. And I know you have both 0 reason to believe me. But I'll say it anyway. Last year, my friend got an offer for BEng electric engineering at Kings. His AS grades were CEE. I'm not even joking. He didn't want to apply. He knew his grades were bad and wanted lesser unis. But he had one of those strict asian parents that wanted a decent london uni. The entry requirements are AAB. He got accepted after roughly 3 weeks.

This year, a girl in our neighboring school missed her offer from Kings by 5 grades and they let her in anyway. Can't remember the course but it was a humanity.
I'm assuming they inflate their grades because they're a good uni with london in their name so they want people to think they have high entry standards and are really prestigious.
LSE wouldn't do something like that in a million years. I don't know why you're still arguing with people saying KCL is comparable. Not only is it wrong, but it's derailing your own thread.

The guy thinks its one of the best unis in the country because of an international ranking that also factors in things like "arts and culture. In addition to how often the institution does charity work. It even punishes unis with a high student:staff ratio. Which is unavoidable with unis that can afford to accommodate larger amount of people. After a quick read through this thread, I don't think there's any reasoning with him.

Can they do this for Law pls :cry: (if I even get an offer that is)
Original post by lucabrasi98
Mate its overrated.

The guy thinks its one of the best unis in the country because of an international ranking that also factors in things like "arts and culture. In addition to how often the institution does charity work. It even punishes unis with a high student:staff ratio. Which is unavoidable with unis that can afford to accommodate larger amount of people. After a quick read through this, I don't think there's any reasoning with him.

If what you're saying is true then my opinion of the school is definitely lowered but at the same time, it still doesn't mean that they aren't a top institution with amazing world class facilities and massive funding.

And you said I'm calling KCL a top uni because of International rankings, well what am I supposed to use, national rankings where they factor in crap like student satisfaction and teacher staff ratio, computers available and NUS ranking and the other irrelevant nonsense like feedback quality, LOL.

King's is top 7 for research quality in the UK and top 5 for funding, and they are a part of the Golden triangle making them an elite university, along with LSE, who might be better than KCL, but definitely not by a wide margin because KCL is lenient.

I mean Southampton is probably the most lenient RG University and they are still a top Uni
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Can they do this for Law pls :cry: (if I even get an offer that is)

I personally don't believe that.

5 grades? Even a school like Queen Mary won't do that.

They rejected my cousin's friends clearing application by missing a grade by 1 mark
Original post by Raizelcadres
I think loughborough, lancaster and surrey are underrated.

Surrey has funding problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol at all the pathetic people on this thread
What's so special about LSE? Please tell me.

What's so special about KCL? :s-smilie:
I personally don't believe that.

5 grades? Even a school like Queen Mary won't do that.

Tbf I don't expect you to believe it since I wouldn't believe it too if I was told the same.

Also it's funny you mentioned that. The guy I talked about also put queen marys down as one of his 5 because of his parents. Queen marys gave him an offer too. I have a second example for queen marys from my school. He had an offer for BEng computer systems engineering. He got BCD in the recent results day. It required ABB. He still got in. That's a 4 grade miss. You underestimate how lenient some unis are. At the end of the day, they're losing money if they can't fill their places.

well what am I supposed to use, national rankings where they factor in crap like student satisfaction and teacher staff ratio, computers available and NUS ranking and the other irrelevant nonsense like feedback quality,

King's is top 7 for research quality in the UK and top 5 for funding, and they are a part of the Golden triangle making them an elite university, along with LSE, who might be better than KCL, but definitely not by a wide margin because KCL is lenient.

1. The moral here is take all rankings with a grain of salt. And look at their methodology's.There's a reason international rankings are so different from all the other ones.

2. I still disagree with the margin being close tbh. In my opinion, Imperial and LSE are in a tier of their own behind Oxbridge. Then comes a tier containing Warwick, Durham and St Andrews. All target universities for prestigious companies. Then about half of the RG unis (including , UCL, Edinburgh, Manchester, Bristol, Southampton, Kings ect.). + places like Bath and Loughborough. Then you have a tier below for the rest of the RG unis (E.G queens belfast, cardiff, liverpool and york).+ a few other non RG unis. Below that is the polytechnics, then everything else.

I think comparing unis in the same tier is meaningless. You can't seriously say you're 100% sure your life at KCL will be better than that other guys life at Manchester/Birmingham or wherever he's going because kings has better research. How will that affect you? You're not researching. Contrary to popular belief, staff research will rarely come into your lectures. Besides, all RG unis will have great research. World class research quality is why they're called RG in the first place. Onto funding. The ones that have higher funding most likely just had big projects at the times that the rankings took place. Or others didn't require much funding one year because they completed what was mainly funded in the first place. Funding is the stat that varies the most each year.

Stuff like that is why I think general tiers are much better than discrete ranks. E.g You can't say for sure that Nottingham>Sheffield. But what you can say is Nottingham>Essex.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh please save it.

KCL is miles and miles ahead of Cardiff University. It is by far an Insult to compare a golden triangle to some lower RG uni in Wales, that has only Medicine and Law as their good courses.

Just check out the International league tables, there is a reason why KCL is ranked 19th in the world and far far ahead of Manchester and Birmingham, i doubt that Cardiff even make the top 100.

And Yes KCL is comparable with LSE, and even people who don't attend the Uni will tell you the same thing

I see your uni complex hasn't subsided.. What is this like the 10th account you have made?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
What's so special about KCL? :s-smilie:

The library for starters.
Original post by Princepieman
I see your uni complex hasn't subsided.. What is this like the 10th account you have made?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What are you talking about?
What are you talking about?

Standard change of subject response, keep it up buddy boy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Standard change of subject response, keep it up buddy boy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm staying on the subject, please tell me what you're talking about?
If what you're saying is true then my opinion of the school is definitely lowered but at the same time, it still doesn't mean that they aren't a top institution with amazing world class facilities and massive funding.

And you said I'm calling KCL a top uni because of International rankings, well what am I supposed to use, national rankings where they factor in crap like student satisfaction and teacher staff ratio, computers available and NUS ranking and the other irrelevant nonsense like feedback quality, LOL.

I mean Southampton is probably the most lenient RG University and they are still a top Uni

That golden triangle ******** is unofficial. I didn't even know what it was until I googled it LOL :laugh:. Lmao the last person to edit the wiki page was an anonymous user.

Warwick is better off in your fannatical triangle than KCL. LOOOL
(edited 7 years ago)
The library for starters.

The two best things about Kings are the union and the chapel. I can take or leave the rest of the physical trappings.

As for library.....no-one uses libraries really. All they're really doing is using eduroam.
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
That golden triangle ******** is unofficial. I didn't even know what it was until I googled it LOL :laugh:. Lmao the last person to edit the wiki page was an anonymous user.

Warwick is better off in your fannatical triangle than KCL. LOOOL

Why do you always stick Warwick into these types of threads?

Absurd that you would call him out for having a 'uni complex' when you have one of the biggest inferiority complexes on TSR and get the biggest kick out of bashing where people go to uni.
Original post by C_Richards99
Why do you always stick Warwick into these types of threads?

Absurd that you would call him out for having a 'uni complex' when you have one of the biggest inferiority complexes on TSR and get the biggest kick out of bashing where people go to uni.

I hope you're talking about Princepie whatever his name is because then it would be too funny.

He goes about as if he's the second coming of Issac Newton when as we all know, he flopped his examinations the first time
(edited 7 years ago)