The Student Room Group

The government is spending £10million English lessons for Syrian refugees

Scroll to see replies

Just as gentle reminder to everybody that its not the governments money, its taxpayers money I.E people who work for a living

The government is not some big rich private bank

Might seem petty but it really gets my goat sometimes...

"teehee the government spent £9m on leaflets teehee idiots" - Yeah £9m they took of people who work
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Well its actually like a gang that has the monopoly of force in your geographic area and takes your wallet regulatory extracts the 50p to give to the homeless person. But that's how states work. What are you going to do? Make your own militia and try and take on the state?

Your analogy actually supports my point. What am I going to do? Well, all I can do for now is cast my vote at times when I can, although when this country collapses, which it will during my lifetime, I can try to sort things out then.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Just as gentle reminder to everybody that its not the governments money, its taxpayers money I.E people who work for a living

The government is not some big rich private bank

Might seem petty but it really gets my goat sometimes...

"teehee the government spent £9m on leaflets teehee idiots" - Yeah £9m they took of people who work

Tis not that simple. Money includes borrowing and revenues from growth, rather than simply being tax payers contributions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bornblue
Tis not that simple. Money includes borrowing and revenues from growth, rather than simply being tax payers contributions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh i seeee, so who pays the interests on that money? What makes people so confident to lend so much money to our government?
Original post by The_Opinion
people that should not even be here.

They did not ask for the home country to turn into a war zone though.
These people are not less than us, which is what you imply from the quote above. Twenty bloody pence..is not a lot compared to how much we pay in tax for wars and then theres that silly London Garden Bridge thing.

Have you no empathy?

How would you feel if your home was blitzed and you were torn away from all you know to a foreign country where the residents can't even give a small tax to help you adjust.

Many are educated and are doctors, teachers, dentists. Many are high qualified than a lot of brits.
Ohh i seeee, so who pays the interests on that money? What makes people so confident to lend so much money to our government?

Out national debt grows at £5000 per second. Its safe to say we don't pay that off. Government expenditure is not limited to tax payers money. It includes borrowing, tax on corporations, grants, and revenues generated by growth to name a few.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Out national debt grows at £5000 per second. Its safe to say we don't pay that off. Government expenditure is not limited to tax payers money. It includes borrowing, tax on corporations, grants, and revenues generated by growth to name a few.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmao
Good.
lmao

So as usual you have nothing meaningful to contribute and you know next to nothing about economics. Its laughable that you thought tax payers money was the only money a government had.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AnaHansolo
They did not ask for the home country to turn into a war zone though.
These people are not less than us, which is what you imply from the quote above. Twenty bloody pence..is not a lot compared to how much we pay in tax for wars and then theres that silly London Garden Bridge thing.

Have you no empathy?

How would you feel if your home was blitzed and you were torn away from all you know to a foreign country where the residents can't even give a small tax to help you adjust.

Many are educated and are doctors, teachers, dentists. Many are high qualified than a lot of brits.

Have you no empathy? - Feelings do not matter, facts do. It is not the job of government to steal money away from its citizens in order to give it away, especially when giving the money away does not benefit the lives in any way of those citizens.

How would you feel if your home was blitzed and you were torn away from all you know to a foreign country where the residents can't even give a small tax to help you adjust. - I would have fought for my country, also, most of these people are not from warring nations.

Many are educated and are doctors, teachers, dentists. Many are high qualified than a lot of brits - hahahahahahahah, you are still peddling that one, you should realise that even if they are qualified (which they are not), a qualified doctor from one country is not always equal to a qualified doctor in another country.

If people want to donate money, that is up to them as individuals, there is nothing stopping you, but how dare you insist on trying to enforce your beliefs on me.
So as usual you have nothing meaningful to contribute and you know next to nothing about economics. Its laughable that you thought tax payers money was the only money a government had.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Companies are still tax payers, what he said was right. If I own a company, the business may officially be paying the tax, but that money would have been mine otherwise.
Companies are still tax payers, what he said was right. If I own a company, the business may officially be paying the tax, but that money would have been mine otherwise.

He talked about people. Companies are not people, they are entities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jee1
Yes it's good value but considering that this is only for Syrian refugees and not other refugees isn't fair. We are very tight compared to other countries such as Germany they spent billions on helping to integrate refugees

Spent billions and got bombed, shot & raped.
WELL WORTH IT!

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only laughable thing here is the fact you have somehow construed my posts as me not knowing a government can borrow money.

When the government borrows money, who is liable for paying it back?
The only laughable thing here is the fact you have somehow construed my posts as me not knowing a government can borrow money.

When the government borrows money, who is liable for paying it back?

But we aren't paying it back, not even slightly. Our national debt grows by £43.2 million a day. Tax payer money is not being used to pay back debts and arguably never will be. As many predict, debts will in all likeliness be written off at some point given that no country on earth can afford to pay them off.

You seemed to imply that a governments only source for income was individuals taxes, that is simply not the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He talked about people. Companies are not people, they are entities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But they pretty much act in the same way as people, and as I said, ultimately the tax paid by the companies is taxed income of the business owner(s).
But they pretty much act in the same way as people, and as I said, ultimately the tax paid by the companies is taxed income of the business owner(s).

They don't act at all in the same way. Only their profits are taxed and they are a taxed at car lower rate than income tax.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They don't act at all in the same way. Only their profits are taxed and they are a taxed at car lower rate than income tax.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tax rates are not relevant to the issue, the government could make the rates the exact same, would that please you? I don't know why you cant accept the fact that the tax a business pays is income that the business owners losses out on.
But we aren't paying it back, not even slightly. Our national debt grows by £43.2 million a day. Tax payer money is not being used to pay back debts and arguably never will be. As many predict, debts will in all likeliness be written off at some point given that no country on earth can afford to pay them off.

You seemed to imply that a governments only source for income was individuals taxes, that is simply not the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should have told the Greeks that. I hear its Utopia over there. I understand why you are so liberal with your economic ideas given in your mind its money we are stealing and have no intention to pay back.

I never and its absurd you somehow thought that from both my posts itt and my posting history
I just asked my mum, she's happy with her cut of taxes going to help the Syrians have a better life here. She did add however, that she's not happy supporting those sat on their arse claiming benefits instead of working. Can we please cut benefits an increase the budget from £10 million to more, seems like it would be better as Syrians actually work rather than, like I said, those just sat on their arses who cant be bothered.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending