The Student Room Group

Help - Sixth Form Problem

So I'm starting college/sixth form tomorrow (well, today) and I'm not sure about my subject choices.

So far I have history, economics and maths - they are a definite but I have to take 4. For my fourth subject I'm torn between further maths and chemistry. I could probably manage both of them although further maths would be a lot harder I'm guessing. I'm not actually torn between them, I really despise chemistry I can't even think about it but I'm not bad at it. It's just that I've heard universities don't count further maths as a subject, they have it with maths as one. The reason I want to do further maths is for LSE, I'm thinking about doing an economics degree there but they only say AS level further maths. So I could technically do AS Level further maths outside school but it might be too hard for me.

The case for chemistry is that it just makes my application look more solid and it might help if I go into petroleum or something.

So the choice is further maths or chemistry, which one?

I have probably two days to decide. Well technically the deadline was months ago but they won't mind.

Oh and sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, wasn't sure where to put it :smile:
I say go with further if that's what they ask for? I'm sure youd be able to swap it a few weeks in if you cant stanf it! but surely youd rather do something you nee more and enjoy more than something you despise?
I took biology thinking itd be fun and I understood all the work but I don't like words much and cant phrase the particular things right. half way through the year I began to despise it and in the end I got an E (still passed woo). I also took further maths and tbh fp1 isn't the worst, and if you do descision maths then its a lot of graphs and definitions. (not all schools do d1 and d2 as further! some do it as maths)

hope this helps a little bit
Original post by beth-robinson99
I say go with further if that's what they ask for? I'm sure youd be able to swap it a few weeks in if you cant stanf it! but surely youd rather do something you nee more and enjoy more than something you despise?
I took biology thinking itd be fun and I understood all the work but I don't like words much and cant phrase the particular things right. half way through the year I began to despise it and in the end I got an E (still passed woo). I also took further maths and tbh fp1 isn't the worst, and if you do descision maths then its a lot of graphs and definitions. (not all schools do d1 and d2 as further! some do it as maths)

hope this helps a little bit

Thanks, that does help

In truth it's my dad who is pushing me to do chemistry haha, he won't really be convinced. Just wondering if it does eventually go his way would I cope doing further maths outside school?
Original post by Proximo
Thanks, that does help

In truth it's my dad who is pushing me to do chemistry haha, he won't really be convinced. Just wondering if it does eventually go his way would I cope doing further maths outside school?

personally I think it depends on how set you are at doing well? some bits are a tad tricky...so you may need to ask teachers or friends for help? probably best to get a tutor even if its for once a month just to recap everything and clarify any questions and set you goals etc.....?
Lol you're right I have heard it quite a few times haha

That makes my problem a little worse actually lol because I don't particularly enjoy maths, I don't hate it or think it's boring... I'm just, meh... Ygm? I actually wanted to do politics/philosophy but they didn't seem solid enough.

personally I think it depends on how set you are at doing well? some bits are a tad tricky...so you may need to ask teachers or friends for help? probably best to get a tutor even if its for once a month just to recap everything and clarify any questions and set you goals etc.....?

Thanks a lot :smile:, I think if some bits get a bit hard I can ask my bro, he did further maths and did well so I'm lucky in that respect. The way you put it, seems like I could probably do it... Maybe
If you're set on Economics as a degree, do Further Maths at AS only, firstly because it's a bit tough at As let alone A2, then a lot of unis only actually accept it to AS level, and I personally think three subjects at A2 is best in terms of workload etc (i.e. the three you've chosen already).
Chemistry would definitely help if you want to keep your options open though, it's generally seen as a good subject to take.
Have you thought about Physics, Business, Computing, IT etc as other possible options?
Original post by Proximo
Lol you're right I have heard it quite a few times haha

That makes my problem a little worse actually lol because I don't particularly enjoy maths, I don't hate it or think it's boring... I'm just, meh... Ygm? I actually wanted to do politics/philosophy but they didn't seem solid enough.

Thanks a lot :smile:, I think if some bits get a bit hard I can ask my bro, he did further maths and did well so I'm lucky in that respect. The way you put it, seems like I could probably do it... Maybe

yeah I have to agree with Lee tbh, yo need to enjoy your subjects. but...because of how your exams should be, if you get ABBC (for example) with BC in chemistry/further maths and then a subject you love, I advise to drop the higher grade one because your y12 grade is stand alone if youdrop it right? and if you carry on it means nothing? so you'd be entering y13 then with a B and predicted A*AB instead of C and predicted A*AA but obviously theyre only predicted grades so you cn reach higher. it wont be as much pressure and your mindset will hopefully be more forward and positive because theyre still high but slightly lower?

idk if that makes sense, just ignore it if not!
yeah I have to agree with Lee tbh, yo need to enjoy your subjects. but...because of how your exams should be, if you get ABBC (for example) with BC in chemistry/further maths and then a subject you love, I advise to drop the higher grade one because your y12 grade is stand alone if youdrop it right? and if you carry on it means nothing? so you'd be entering y13 then with a B and predicted A*AB instead of C and predicted A*AA but obviously theyre only predicted grades so you cn reach higher. it wont be as much pressure and your mindset will hopefully be more forward and positive because theyre still high but slightly lower?

idk if that makes sense, just ignore it if not!

Lol I think I know what you mean but I've got a problem there, well idk if it's good or bad.

History and economics are Pre-u so no exams in year12, so I'd only be getting grades for maths and chemistry, I don't say further maths because, if I choose further maths I do all of maths A-Level in year 12 and further maths only in year 13. Idk if that makes sense either haha
Original post by Sarah1778
If you're set on Economics as a degree, do Further Maths at AS only, firstly because it's a bit tough at As let alone A2, then a lot of unis only actually accept it to AS level, and I personally think three subjects at A2 is best in terms of workload etc (i.e. the three you've chosen already).
Chemistry would definitely help if you want to keep your options open though, it's generally seen as a good subject to take.
Have you thought about Physics, Business, Computing, IT etc as other possible options?

When you put it that way it makes sense to take chemistry and further maths outside because we only do A2 further maths, well idk actually, I just know that we do further maths in year 13 only.

My school only offers physics as a subject you can take not any of the others and I'm not a fan of physics haha :P

I'm actually torn between PPE and Economics at uni, and u can't write two personal statements... So that's another huge problem I have lol
Original post by Proximo
Lol I think I know what you mean but I've got a problem there, well idk if it's good or bad.

History and economics are Pre-u so no exams in year12, so I'd only be getting grades for maths and chemistry, I don't say further maths because, if I choose further maths I do all of maths A-Level in year 12 and further maths only in year 13. Idk if that makes sense either haha

I thought all courses changed now so y12 this time your exams don't count as such?
I thought all courses changed now so y12 this time your exams don't count as such?

I'm not sure, all I know is I don't do any exams for history or economics at the end of this year because they're pre-u not A-Level - I may be wrong tho

Quick Reply