The Student Room Group

I got a U in AS chemistry, but I want to pursue my dream as a pharmacist.

So as the title says, I got a U in AS chem. But its not because I didn't revise, its because I didn't do any past papers. I know I made a mistake. I passed my other subjects with decent grades. I got a B, C and E. The E was because I didn't do past papers again. So shall I resit exams for that. But for chem, I really want to do it. I really want to be a pharmacist. So I was planning on doing AS and A2 chem at the same time. with my the other three. Will universities consider me or will they disregard me? I have done a lot for my aspirations. I have done loads of shadowing and 2 years worth of volunteer work and helping the community etc

So shall I apply for pharmacy or something else? I am confident that i will do better this time in chem. I made mistake I know, but I am determined to do better.
1) Resit AS chem while doing A2 as well but depends if your school will let you carry on with a U at AS.
2) Resit year 12 again and rectify your mistakes.
Reply 2
Original post by tcameron
1) Resit AS chem while doing A2 as well but depends if your school will let you carry on with a U at AS.
2) Resit year 12 again and rectify your mistakes.

I know both are options. I am sure I can get the school to do it. But I am talking about the UCAS application. Will they consider the application. I am not resitting the year again.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ann3958
I know both are option. I am sure I can get the school to do it. But I am talking about the UCAS application. Will they consider the application. I am not resitting the year again.

It is unlikely universities will consider your application and I imagine you would not get any offers, but if you do well in A2 you could apply through clearing or take a gap year and apply for 2018 entry.
Did you take biology? If so what was your grade in that? :smile:
I got a E in AS Chemistry because I didn't do past papers either, and I was fortunate enough to be allowed to retake all the modules while carrying on to A2, and my teacher predicted me a C thankfully. When I retook I ended with an A at AS (B overall) so it's definitely worth retaking.
You don't have to declare your grades if you're retaking (well at least I didn't have to, I marked it as Pending).
As long as you get predicted a decent enough grade, and you have a good personal statement I don't think you'll be hindered.
Reply 6
Have you thought about doing a BTEC? There are some universities that will consider you for it. If not directly, you could probably go on to do a foundation year and then do pharmacy with a BTEC. Manchester for example want "Successful completion of a BTEC Extended Diploma (science-based ONLY) at grades DDD-DDM, must be offered along with GCSE Level English Language and Mathematics at grade B." To get onto the foundation year. Just something worth looking into I guess.

Don't take my word for it though, do your own research before.
Reply 7
Original post by Ann3958
So as the title says, I got a U in AS chem. But its not because I didn't revise, its because I didn't do any past papers. I know I made a mistake. I passed my other subjects with decent grades. I got a B, C and E. The E was because I didn't do past papers again. So shall I resit exams for that. But for chem, I really want to do it. I really want to be a pharmacist. So I was planning on doing AS and A2 chem at the same time. with my the other three. Will universities consider me or will they disregard me? I have done a lot for my aspirations. I have done loads of shadowing and 2 years worth of volunteer work and helping the community etc

So shall I apply for pharmacy or something else? I am confident that i will do better this time in chem. I made mistake I know, but I am determined to do better.

My man,
Do NOT go do A2 and AS at the same time. It will be EXTREMELY overwhelming and difficult. But don't worry, mistakes happen. Just redo the year and get a better grade in AS this year and then next year do A2.

Don't worry about it.

Kolia
Reply 8
Original post by Ann3958
I know both are options. I am sure I can get the school to do it. But I am talking about the UCAS application. Will they consider the application. I am not resitting the year again.

UCAS with a U in Chemistry and that too at AS? My man, I'm not trying to be mean or anything but, what are you going to say "I got a U in AS but that's only because I didn't do past papers?" especially as you are going into a field where Chemistry is REQUIRED.

BTW don't take my word on this but I am 99.9% sure they wouldn't even consider people who haven't PASSED A2 forget getting a U in AS. Even IF you got an A in AS if you didn't do A2 or didn't pass A2 I don't think you would even be considered. Now for arguments sake let's say if you got an A in AS and a E in A2 and let's say you got a D overall you might JUST have scraped it but, IMO I believe for a course like Chemistry they would want at least a C overall.

My apologies if this came off as rude.

Kolia
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ann3958

Hm I'm not sure as I'm pretty sure your predicted grade for chemistry won't be an A or B from a U at AS
Learning all the materials in the syllabus isn't everything but practising papers is also not everything. It doesn't give you magical powers that can take you from a U to a B. Practising papers mostly helps you become familiar with the way the examiners want to extract your knowledge and understanding, it's mostly about formulating your brains... all over the paper. You can formulate it wrong and despite that, still pull off at least a D because you've shown that you have the knowledge and understanding- and that's if you had Professor Snape as your examiner.

I don't see how you can get a U simply because you didn't do practise papers. Even I scraped by with a D at A2 chemistry and I didn't do any studying or revision until the day before. I did NOT do any practise papers either. That's not me boasting, that's a testament of how terrible a student I was at the time, I didn't show genuine interest in the subject.

Do you honestly want to be a pharmacist? Are your parents or your peers pressuring you? If it's your dream to become a pharmacist, why did you not at least go through the practise papers of the core subject that would take you into the profession? Remember, chemistry is the CORE subject in pharmaceutical sciences, it should've been your best subject.

Now you say you want to be a pharmacist? You're going to need AT LEAST a grade B in chemistry. Chemistry will be your CORE SUBJECT, that is not something you should be getting a grade U in, not even on a bad day.

Semi-decent universities expect at least BBB (biology and chemistry included there). A colleague of mine that couldn't apply for the course worked his butt off and managed to transfer to the MPharm course when he received grade As on every single one of his first year modules. In other words: it's going to be very competitive and demanding.
Reply 11
Original post by mikkolia
My man,
Do NOT go do A2 and AS at the same time. It will be EXTREMELY overwhelming and difficult. But don't worry, mistakes happen. Just redo the year and get a better grade in AS this year and then next year do A2.

Don't worry about it.

Kolia

Thank you for the advice! Or is it better if I drop chemistry and then do Bio, english language and psychology in A2? Would universities consider my application if I get better grades on these subjects when I resit them?
Original post by Ann3958
Thank you for the advice! Or is it better if I drop chemistry and then do Bio, english language and psychology in A2? Would universities consider my application if I get better grades on these subjects when I resit them?

My man,
I'm not sure just call up a few university's and ask...
Long and boring af I know lmao but it's a 15 minute job lol

Good luck
Kolia :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending