The Student Room Group

How important is university prestige?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abstract_Prism
Saying 'I'd rather get a third from Oxford than a first from Liverpool' makes it sound like you must go to a very prestigious university indeed, to be able to sneer down on everyone like that.

Am I wrong?

It really is impossible to talk about uni prestige on here with people getting personally offended...

It's funny how you think someone preferring an Oxford degree over a Liverpool degree is "sneering down on everyone".

It shouldn't matter what university I go to, it has no relevance to my views on Oxford's superiority to Liverpool.
Saying 'I'd rather get a third from Oxford than a first from Liverpool' makes it sound like you must go to a very prestigious university indeed, to be able to sneer down on everyone like that.

Am I wrong?

No but you're boosting his ego

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonwinner
It really is impossible to talk about uni prestige on here with people getting personally offended...

It's funny how you think someone preferring an Oxford degree over a Liverpool degree is "sneering down on everyone".

It shouldn't matter what university I go to, it has no relevance to my views on Oxford's superiority to Liverpool.

You will not be able to go into most graduate jobs with a third, no matter what university it is.

An Oxford degree is obviously superior to a Liverpool degree when the classification is equal.

To say that an Oxford third is better than a Liverpool first is ridiculous though. It propagates the view that Oxbridge is much better than it really is, and that all other universities are leagues below them. Sure, Oxbridge is better, but nowhere near to the extent you make out.
Original post by Trapz99
You will not be able to go into most graduate jobs with a third, no matter what university it is.

Probably, but uni isn't just about getting the best graduate job afterwards. The quality of education at Oxbridge is so much higher. The tutorial/supervision systems look amazing. Also, networking opportunities at Oxbridge would be incredible.
Probably, but uni isn't just about getting the best graduate job afterwards. The quality of education at Oxbridge is so much higher. The tutorial/supervision systems look amazing. Also, networking opportunities at Oxbridge would be incredible.

Yeah but that's all worth nothing if you get a third and can't get a quality graduate job. I'd rather have a mediocre education at Liverpool and get a first and actually get a graduate job than enjoy my time studying at Oxford, do **** in the exams and end up on the streets without a job. Of course msot Oxford students won't get a third and will succeed, usually more so than Liverpool graduates in certain fields.
Original post by MaskOfKeaton
It matters to some extent, but only because around half the universities in the country aren't worth going to. But there's no point comparing universities within the top 20-25. As long as you go to a university that normally requires AAB, you're not at any meaningful disadvantage compared to someone who went to a slightly higher-ranked one.

It's a good idea to try to get into the best university you can, but on a micro level the specific league table ranking is meaningless. I bet a number of people on here haven't even started university - once you're there you'll be so overworked and stressed you won't even care. What you get in your degree is most important component anyway - I'd rather have a 2:1 from Liverpool than a 2:2 from Oxford.

So would prestige matter if you go from a uni that is like 50 in the league tables to a uni that is like in the top 10/20? Because that is exactly my situation right now, I am already studying at university of Hull, but I've got a chance to go to university of Nottingham, but I feel comfortable and at home at Hull and I feel reluctant to move.

But I just feel that I can't waste this "chance" to go to the best university possible?
I'd rather have a third from Oxford than a first from Liverpool

get your gcses first okay??

Am I wrong?

it makes it sound like he doesn't know what he is talking about. probably still a gcse pupil!
Original post by Trapz99
a mediocre education at Liverpool

Liverpool's not a bad uni tbf

I don't know about the uni. but it's a nice city!
Original post by C_Richards99
If Warwick knew that a higher percentage of people would accept their offers, they wouldn't give out so many offers. Also considering it's one of the universities which does Clearing implies that it struggles to fill its places. After all even if Warwick gives out STEP offers, there are still non-STEP unis which have higher entry standards. Even its more renowned courses has offer rates of 50%+, compared to KCL's most renowned course which has an offer rate of 2%.

How in any way are KCL's figures watered down by 'international students'?? Makes no sense for you to be making this statement when the proportion of international students at KCL is only 0.6% higher than at Warwick.

No wonder you're salty! Also you're one of the worst hypocrites on TSR!
An Oxford degree is obviously superior to a Liverpool degree when the classification is equal.

To say that an Oxford third is better than a Liverpool first is ridiculous though. It propagates the view that Oxbridge is much better than it really is, and that all other universities are leagues below them. Sure, Oxbridge is better, but nowhere near to the extent you make out.

This kind of thing depends on the audience - people in the know will realise that a First from a top RG holds it's own, but less informed people? Also, there is a definite bias towards Oxbridge candidates of any sort (even people who got in but left after a year or something) in some professions and circles. One thinks of the media and arts for example, or parts of the City.
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
No wonder you're salty! Also you're one of the worst hypocrites on TSR!

how am i salty and a hypocrite?
Original post by C_Richards99
how am i salty and a hypocrite?

Well on the other thread (wheather it was a mistake or not) you proclaimed that I had one of the biggest inferior uni complex's on TSR and that I bash people for the unis they go to. On the post that I quoted you on in this thread, you are clearly defending KCL to make them look better than Warwick. This is what Vividly clear is doing on the other thread but with the stupid claims that you've thrown at me.

It seems like you and Vividly clear have some sort of favour/bias for KCL so I associated you with Vividly clear. Hence why you are a salty hypocrite (he is acting out the claims you knowingly or unknowinlgy threw at me).

I never said it was bad...
Original post by john2054
get your gcses first okay??

I got them a couple years ago.

Get off TSR, you spend far too much time on here. Focus on your theatre studies degree.
I got them a couple years ago.

Get off TSR, you spend far too much time on here. Focus on your theatre studies degree.

sociology with theatre studies minor. i already completed that after five years hard work, and got my 2.1. Now i can relax
Sorry if these are stupid questions, but where do you look to get an idea of the 'better' courses a University offers? How do you find out which subject departments are better than others?
For example, what are Birmingham and Manchester known for?
Is the English department at Bristol better than the Economics?
As an international I think I could give some opinions.
I would consider Warwick as a tier 3 uni, after Oxbridge and the London unis

Cambridge
Oxford
---------------------------
Imperial
LSE
UCL
Warwick
Durham
St. Andrews
Others

That's how I would rank unis
Interestingly unis like Exeter/Lancaster/Surrey etc have quite a high rank but less international reputation (at least I didn't know about them before coming to the UK, while the unis in above have been well-known in my country)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending