The Student Room Group

When should I start revising for GCSEs

Hey guys, I just went into year 11 and I'm doing my GCSEs this year.
But I don't know when to start revising for them.
I'm doing 50% of my maths in January and all the rest in may/June.
I'm not sure how many exactly but I'm doing 10 subjects.
Please help I'd love to achieve A*/A grades so I need alot of help.
Original post by Anthony.c/2001

Ideally each day, or at the end of every week, go over what you learnt in each subject for that week, make notes and practice somer questions from the textbook or online. You'll probably have mocks in January for other subjects so although Maths is a priority you'll need to revise everything, so maybe it's worth starting around December (so just over 3 days per subject) and leaving maths towards the end.

Good luck! :h:
Original post by SeanFM
Ideally each day, or at the end of every week, go over what you learnt in each subject for that week, make notes and practice somer questions from the textbook or online. You'll probably have mocks in January for other subjects so although Maths is a priority you'll need to revise everything, so maybe it's worth starting around December (so just over 3 days per subject) and leaving maths towards the end.

Good luck! :h:

Is it advisable to start earlier like the summer holidays of Year 10? I spent most of my summer preparing in advance by making notes and flashcards. Thanks
Original post by Anthony.c/2001

Hello,

I suppose you're doing 10 GCSE's, your 10 subjects connotes to 10 GCSE's. Also can you please explain how you're going to do half of your GCSE math in January and the rest in May, because I',m getting the impression that you're going to do a half a GCSE, somehow, in January and another half in May? I would start at the start of the year as you won't have a lot of pressure to revise everything during the last 3 months. Also, I think that the A*-G system has been scrapped and the government has introduced a new system, which is 1-9 - 9 being an equivalent to A**. I 'm not sure if this system applies to all subjects but I do know that Maths and English Literature and Language have got this grading system. Apparently there is no foundation level for the new English GCSE, as everyone will doing the same level. I have attached a few links which explain the new grading system:

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/gcse_grades_9_1_explained
http://www.aqa.org.uk/about-us/what-we-do/policy/gcse-and-a-level-changes/9-1
Honestly I'd probably recommend starting revision for maths end of November because trust me you'll want to do f*** all over the Christmas holidays plus you'll be doing stuff in school for revision anyway. For May/June exams around March. I did that for A-Level and I did fine so for GCSEs it'll be plenty of time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I started revising properly Feb-March of year 11. I revised well for my mocks and topic tests as I went along so when I came back to it it was revision and not learning from scratch. No need to start really early as you will forget it and lose motivation. In year 10 focus on coursework as it can make or break your grade and do revision for topic tests. Other then that enjoy it!

Oh yeast and for my Jan mocks I started revising about 2.5 weeks before if that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
As every procrastinator will say, "start tomorrow".
Start now go through some past papers and what you can't do or struggle with revise that with a target like in a week I will know complex numbers or whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go on YouTube and search "freesciencelessons"

Similarly search on YouTube for any help/tuition with subjects such as maths and English, regarding topics you are struggling/want to improve on.

I did that and that alone, without any books or anything for all subjects, and for 2A* 7As and 2Bs (Merit for I.T too)

Don't worry you'll SMASH them! Your determination to actually question when to revise shows that you want these good grades, and you'll sure get them

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
2 Hours a day and from the beginning!
i would suggest starting now. however, only do light revision for the time being. otherwise you will burn out - a bit like me in year ten 😁
increase the number of hours that you are revising for as you get closer to your exams, creating a revision timetable would be a good idea also.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest