The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can't stress the 'don't apply to GS until late as applications are non-rolling'
Got into 2 finance related roles literally 2 weeks after applying and completely changed the format of my CV to a much better one.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
Can't stress the 'don't apply to GS until late as applications are non-rolling'
Got into 2 finance related roles literally 2 weeks after applying and completely changed the format of my CV to a much better one.

Is there any possibility for you to be so kind to let me take a glimpse at your CV? :smile:
Original post by Princepieman
That's the case for most banks.. There's a lot of cross over of applicants across all of the BBs. But, GS specifically look for a certain type of personality that may not be found in the traditional Eton > 4A*s > Oxbridge candidates, if you understand what I mean.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Although the Goldman fit is the most important a lot of people at Goldman are this.
Original post by bobb99998
Although the Goldman fit is the most important a lot of people at Goldman are this.

Yep, but they give more chances to people who don't fit that mould more than most other banks - apart from maybe Barclay's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep, but they give more chances to people who don't fit that mould more than most other banks - apart from maybe Barclay's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you give me your opinion of the mould. I view it as an relatively speaking in terms of IB a very intellectual person who is seriously passionate about finance and their job.
Could you give me your opinion of the mould. I view it as an relatively speaking in terms of IB a very intellectual person who is seriously passionate about finance and their job.

Mould as in the typically caucasian upper middle class to upper class, offspring of high level professionals, who went to good schools and does well academically.

Seriously interested in finance and careers isn't so much a mould but a pre-req.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mould as in the typically caucasian upper middle class to upper class, offspring of high level professionals, who went to good schools and does well academically.

Seriously interested in finance and careers isn't so much a mould but a pre-req.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean overly focussed on diversity as appose to talent?
You mean overly focussed on diversity as appose to talent?

Talent =/= upper middle class, well to do.

Talent comes in many forms and is manifested in different ways - of course a bank hires for talent but it's also good to recognize that talent isn't this uniform thing.

I think you're maybe confusing talent and class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Talent =/= upper middle class, well to do.

Talent comes in many forms and is manifested in different ways - of course a bank hires for talent but it's also good to recognize that talent isn't this uniform thing.

I think you're maybe confusing talent and class.

Posted from TSR Mobile

no just joking a bit.

not class. gender and ethnicity

white working class boys seem to be increasingly underrepresented.

unless of course your parents are on benefits...
no just joking a bit.

not class. gender and ethnicity

white working class boys seem to be increasingly underrepresented.

unless of course your parents are on benefits...

True, and they're the most underrepresented at university too - which is why it's even more important to recognise these trends and to do something about them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
True, and they're the most underrepresented at university too - which is why it's even more important to recognise these trends and to do something about them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

true, true.
Princepieman do you know anybody who has gone from S&T spring week to M&A summer
Princepieman do you know anybody who has gone from S&T spring week to M&A summer

Yes. But it would require informing HR about your change of preference (which can be a bit tough to do) more common is they re-apply to the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you care to elaborate the "Goldman fit"?
Original post by blksheep
Would you care to elaborate the "Goldman fit"?

its their culture. people say you either love it or hate.
does anybody know where you can actually apply to the deutsche bank spring week. I can read all about it then press apply and search but no spring week comes up.
its their culture. people say you either love it or hate.

Yes sure, could you outline the characteristics of someone who is considered the "Goldman fit".
does anybody know where you can actually apply to the deutsche bank spring week. I can read all about it then press apply and search but no spring week comes up.

not open yet bro

Posted from TSR Mobile
not open yet bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

why do they say opened like 15/25 aug tho?
Original post by blksheep
Yes sure, could you outline the characteristics of someone who is considered the "Goldman fit".

no clue