The Student Room Group

Your thoughts on the Colin Kaepernick fiasco?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000691077/article/colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-sat-during-national-anthem

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of colour," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

The San Francisco police in charge of security at the 49ers games have warned they will boycott.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/04/megan-rapinoe-anthem-protest-colin-kaepernick

'It was a little nod to Kaepernick': Megan Rapinoe kneels for Star-Spangled Banner

What are your thoughts? Is it a serious lack of respect, or a tremendous show of pride?
I wonder if this will cause a new trend of sports stars refusing to sing the star spangled banner.*

He just wants attention, I don't know why anyone cares on either side. If he genuinely thinks black people are oppressed in the US right now, he's either really deluded or incredibly stupid. If he really believes it, I'm sure he could give a little bit of his $17,000,000 a year salary to projects in black communities etc...
Original post by Dodgypirate
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000691077/article/colin-kaepernick-explains-why-he-sat-during-national-anthem

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of colour," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."

The San Francisco police in charge of security at the 49ers games have warned they will boycott.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/04/megan-rapinoe-anthem-protest-colin-kaepernick

'It was a little nod to Kaepernick': Megan Rapinoe kneels for Star-Spangled Banner

What are your thoughts? Is it a serious lack of respect, or a tremendous show of pride?

He is dumb and should feel dumb. Another dumb dumb that slurped the kool aid. The polices response is even dumber. "Only people who are patriots get our protection f yeah peww peww usa #1"
I wonder what makes him think black people and "PoCs" are oppressed in the USA.
Black people in America are not oppressed (but they were)

He makes millions running around with a ball

Why doesn't he tackle Black on [insert race here] violence instead of police who for the most part just do their job
Just because there is prejudice and racism against Black people does not make Black people as a whole oppressed. Racism exists and always will. However when talking of racism, you know they're talking about White racism don't you? even police violence, in their minds it equates to White police racism.

But that doesn't paint an accurate picture. Lots of prominent Black deaths by police as of lately (Akai Gurley, Freddie Gray, Philando Castile) were not killed by White officers.

Are there laws against Black people getting jobs, applying for college/uni? No, actually the opposite. Affirmative action.

But keep feeding the deadly victimhood machine. It only makes Black people angrier and more likely to lash out and either kill someone or get themselves killed.

Black Americans and those around them need to worry about all the Black crime. Have you seen Chicago's recent murder rate? Black lives matter.. unless killed by themselves.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Dodgypirate
a country that oppresses black people and people of colour,"

But has a Black president...
Original post by queen-bee
I wonder if this will cause a new trend of sports stars refusing to sing the star spangled banner.*

Apparently a woman soccer player took a knee in support of him. I think a fellow NFL star joined him in the second game he did it*

I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes a flavour of the month thing to do *
Reply 9
If only the US defended free speech as vehemently as they defend the right to bear arms...
Americans care way too much about the national anthem.

Up until a couple of years ago, all American schoolkids had to say the Pledge of Allegiance everyday at the start of everyday.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

American patriotism is a bizarre creature.

SS
Original post by Josb
But has a Black president...

And no less than 64% of American football players are black.

Kaepernick is on a $144 million contract and was raised in a privileged household.
I generally don't care too much about the political principles of millionaire sport stars, but frankly why he's choosing not to stand is irrelevant. He has a right not to do so, and I'm glad that he's exercising it and attempting to punch a hole in the US culture of constant demands for shows of patriotic fervour, which is at best just mind-numbingly banal and at worst quite vulgar and quasi-fascistic.
Original post by Craig1998

Possibly one of the stupidest political tweets I've seen in months.

Anyway, to the subject itself, of course Kaepernick has every right to make this statement with his right to free speech. Just as people have every right to criticise him for it. Can't have it both ways.
Original post by KimKallstrom
Possibly one of the stupidest political tweets I've seen in months.

-Disagrees with tweets' views
-Calls it stupid
Just another publicity stunt from an filthy rich famous person signalling virtue and achieving nothing but mild controversy.

Like most people, he probably knows very little about what he's "protesting" beyond what he sees on Twitter and in click-bait headlines.
Black people are so oppressed

They have a Black president despite being a minority in America..

You have overpaid Black athletes like this, who act like they've been wronged by...
Racist anti-racist sjw as usual. Says Blacks and coloured people are oppressed, basically meaning anyone who isn't White LOL

This is surely all to do with Black butthurt over deaths by police who they always want to blame on White people since that is all Black people in America know how to do.

I thought having a Black president would have made them calm down a little, but they've become worse.

Also, to hell with any White person who allows themselves to be guilt ridden by these SJW's

You should understand what they're doing. Evil white oppressors, poor oppressed coloured people... kill Whitey. There I said it. Demonization.

I wish sometimes Whites were privileged enough to have their own country, full of White people and didn't have to worry about any this.
Sadly we have to live in a multi-racial ethnic society, as of course it is racism to oppose such a thing...

They've got you cucked so bad.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending