The Student Room Group

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Current accounts don't pay interest. What exactly do you want from a current account? They mostly do the same thing.
Reply 2
Barclays are a top high street bank. First direct are child's play compared to them. I would keep my current account with barclays, and also apply for a credit card (barclay card) with them, or perhaps with capital one, if you don't have a very good credit rating? Good luck!

ps you can do preliminary checks in advance with both barclays and capital one, to see the likelihood of you being accepted for credit with these banks, before making the full application okay?
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm with Nationwide and have never had any problems with them. I've got a bank account with them for which I get free travel insurance. (and I don't pay a monthly fee for)
A ISA is a savings account not a current account.

They are saying in order to get the promotional rate you have to pay in£500 a month or they will switch to a regular account.

Go with TSB you get 5% interest on current accounts
Original post by john2054
Barclays are a top high street bank. First direct are child's play compared to them. I would keep my current account with barclays, and also apply for a credit card (barclay card) with them, or perhaps with capital one, if you don't have a very good credit rating? Good luck!

ps you can do preliminary checks in advance with both barclays and capital one, to see the likelihood of you being accepted for credit with these banks, before making the full application okay?

HSBC is the largest bank.

Use noddle.co.uk to find out your credit score
TSB give 5% interest up to £2000 and give you 5% cash back on the first £100 spent via contactless/mobile pay
Original post by Tiger Rag
Current accounts don't pay interest. What exactly do you want from a current account? They mostly do the same thing.

Erm, yes they do lol.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Erm, yes they do lol.

Really not sure what the point of your reply is when someone else has already said it? Generally, they don't unless you pay a monthly fee.
Really not sure what the point of your reply is when someone else has already said it? Generally, they don't unless you pay a monthly fee.

I stopped reading when I got to your wrong and misleading comment.:dontknow:

Really TSB lloyds Santander hsbc all give interest without a fee
Original post by niteninja1
HSBC is the largest bank.

Use noddle.co.uk to find out your credit score

HSBC is another large uk bank. I'm not sure that they are international however. Also noddle (callcredit) are the smallest of the three uk credit agencies. Experian and Equifax (clearscore) are both just as good, if not better.
Reply 12
I get over £13 a month from TSB.

Over £8 from interest, and £5 for using contactless payments.

I do not pay any fees.
You can take it out and puti it back in but yes you have to.
Really I do it every month and my TSB advisor told me to do it if I wanted to keep the 5%
I don't think you can do this, sadly!
I wish you would get off these financial threads you have no idea what your on about and seem to think maxing out debt is a good thing so please stop telling students your terrible life destroying advice
I don't think you can do this, sadly!
Really I do it every month and my TSB advisor told me to do it if I wanted to keep the 5%
wow

I wish you would get off these financial threads you have no idea what your on about and seem to think maxing out debt is a good thing so please stop telling students your terrible life destroying advice
i have a credit line of over £7000 so i must be doing something right?
wow

i have a credit line of over £7000 so i must be doing something right?

You have no job
By the sounds of it none of it is 0% interest
Also why tell people it's okay to be in debt

And that's not something to be proud of

Get a job don't be a lazy ass.
You have no job
By the sounds of it none of it is 0% interest
Also why tell people it's okay to be in debt

And that's not something to be proud of

Get a job don't be a lazy ass.

i've just passed my 5 year degree, with a 2.1 and i can't get a job because no where will accept me, not even charity shops, pubs, supermarkets or internet internships. So it isn't that i haven't tried. But to be honest with you we are comfortable off enough to give me another year out. Then i can reapply to do a conversion degree for sept 2017, okay>>??
So your going to get into more debt just because you can.

It's people like you that destroy our economy, well your kind and labour

i've just passed my 5 year degree, with a 2.1 and i can't get a job because no where will accept me, not even charity shops, pubs, supermarkets or internet internships. So it isn't that i haven't tried. But to be honest with you we are comfortable off enough to give me another year out. Then i can reapply to do a conversion degree for sept 2017, okay>>??

Quick Reply

Latest