The Student Room Group

Medicine after a PhD in Mathematics.

Hi everyone,

After 6 years of studying mathematics I've realised that is the opposite of what I want to do for the rest of my life. I find maths extremely interested but ultimately I want something more fulfilling.

I've always been interested in all sciences. I have a few medic friends and I am always fascinated in what they do and often jealous of what they do. I haven't had any experience yet but I am soon to go through this - and I am sure that I am going to like it. I want to help people, I want my work to benefit people. I want to be interactive and social (something that is non-existence as a mathematician).

I have a B in A-level chemistry and a D in AS-biology, First in BSc mathematics
and soon to have a PhD in mathematics.

Has anyone ever done it (either with just a degree or any post graduate studies)?

I understand that I will have to take the GAMSAT or/and UKCAT tests -
Can anyone give me any advise about going into graduate medicine without a biological/chemistry based degree?

After looking at some of the entry requirements - you need a B in both A-level chemistry AND biology. Does anyone know how strict this is?

Thanks.
Original post by sallymander
Hi everyone,

After 6 years of studying mathematics I've realised that is the opposite of what I want to do for the rest of my life. I find maths extremely interested but ultimately I want something more fulfilling.

I've always been interested in all sciences. I have a few medic friends and I am always fascinated in what they do and often jealous of what they do. I haven't had any experience yet but I am soon to go through this - and I am sure that I am going to like it. I want to help people, I want my work to benefit people. I want to be interactive and social (something that is non-existence as a mathematician).

I have a B in A-level chemistry and a D in AS-biology, First in BSc mathematics
and soon to have a PhD in mathematics.

Has anyone ever done it (either with just a degree or any post graduate studies)?

I understand that I will have to take the GAMSAT or/and UKCAT tests -
Can anyone give me any advise about going into graduate medicine without a biological/chemistry based degree?

After looking at some of the entry requirements - you need a B in both A-level chemistry AND biology. Does anyone know how strict this is?

Thanks.

Do well in Gamsat / Ukcat and finish your PhD and I think you should be ok, generally unis don't look at any of your education prior to your degree (at least that's what I heard).

I've read of students from all backgrounds going in to medicine, but you will be at a slight disadvantage to those who have good degrees in biochem and other degrees allied to medicine.

Do well in the tests, put a good ps together and I'm sure you'll do well, you clearly have the motivation to study and I'm sure the uni admissions will appreciate that :smile:

Good luck!!
They don't take into account usually but check their requirements! I haven't looked into much universities in England but I remember some of
them specify like A/B in chemistry. If you have a PHD they may drop it down to a B or disregard it altogether. I believe if you follow GAMSAT route then it doesn't matter?
Reply 3
Most universities require a degree like Biomedical Science or Biochemistry for graduate medicine, but there are many such as Exeter university where you can do any degree and get a place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending