The Student Room Group

UK recession 'fades' Services PMI:52.9

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37274279

I'm so uneducated for voting to leave.
Why are you dismissing the economic consequences before we've even left the EU? :rolleyes:
Reply 2
Everyone seems to be getting swept up in the fact that the economic skies haven't caved in due to Brexit, yet it keeps getting forgotten that we have not left, nor even activated the two year process to leave,
As mentioned, the absolute impact will be after Brexit, but it's encouraging that the market seems to be stable and rallying in some aspects despite relatively high uncertainty.

2 interesting things I've noticed:

1. Brexit has definitely broken political and economic expectations, and the conventional models. Manufacturing PMI's rebounce was the biggest 1 month increase in 25 years, and services PMI's rebounce was the biggest in its history. PMI is usually accurate to the extent that central banks rely on them partly to decide monetary policies, such as BoE's decision last month. Polls and private polls all pointed towards a Remain victory hence the massive rise in GBP, before plummeting as the referendum night progressed.

Brexit and it's effects are definitely unprecedented and whether you agree with Brexit or not, I think we can all agree that there is a huge political and economic lesson to learn here.

2. Less significant point, but it's interesting that the OP seems to be the optimistic one here. I just hope that nobody wishes harm on the UK in order to prove ones point. We should all celebrate any good signs that indicates a successful Brexit.
Original post by alevelstresss
Why are you dismissing the economic consequences before we've even left the EU? :rolleyes:

Original post by Aj12
Everyone seems to be getting swept up in the fact that the economic skies haven't caved in due to Brexit, yet it keeps getting forgotten that we have not left, nor even activated the two year process to leave,

Then why are so many remoaners still looking for anything to assign Brexit blame to?
Reply 5
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Then why are so many remoaners still looking for anything to assign Brexit blame to?

Because they are prats. The simple fact is we are in the unknown and won't begin to see the true impact of Brexit until we actually leave. Even then it may not be straight away, since things tend to lag behind in economics. The warnings in the campaign may have been overblown or right on the money, but now is not the time to be accessing that.

because both sides, leave and remain, have a number hateful people who want to incriminate either side for the consequences

but attacking all remain supporters as if they all think this is pretty dumb
because both sides, leave and remain, have a number hateful people who want to incriminate either side for the consequences

but attacking all remain supporters as if they all think this is pretty dumb

Yeah i didnt say all did I. Man before you reply to posts, take a second and read it more carefully
Yeah i didnt say all did I. Man before you reply to posts, take a second and read it more carefully

you said "so many" which implies a lot, perhaps not all, but I'd say that incriminates at least 50% on a generous day
you said "so many" which implies a lot, perhaps not all, but I'd say that incriminates at least 50% on a generous day

I see the problem but thats not how it works, i would have said "millions" and not "so many" if i wanted to portray that 50% + remoaners were guilty of doing it
We haven't even left yet but if there is any negative news story about the economy they'll blame it on leaving....

And of course vice versa with the brexiters
Original post by Aj12

It is ultimately a case of taking the piss out of remoaners, last month they used PMI to cite why things are bad, now it's conveniently become irrelevant to them and they're back to the "we haven't brexited and our exports have been boosted" line

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some things are quite easy for example:

The new iPhone costs the same amount as the previous version in $ but for us it has gone up £60.

This is an obvious result of the weak pound. Over time the impact will increase (there is still some built in assumption that brexit will not happen for a very long time or even at all) as this slowly fades the costs will increase.
Original post by skeptical_john
Some things are quite easy for example:

The new iPhone costs the same amount as the previous version in $ but for us it has gone up £60.

This is an obvious result of the weak pound. Over time the impact will increase (there is still some built in assumption that brexit will not happen for a very long time or even at all) as this slowly fades the costs will increase.

The UK has been ripped off for the costs of electronics for years when compared to the US, although I do think consumers in the rest of EU also get a raw deal regardless of exchange rates.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/iphone-7-price-how-much-will-apple-s-new-iphone-cost--1328097

For example, the new 32GB iphone 7:

$769 which should mean that, even at the current weakened exchange rate, we'd pay £576. However, instead the UK price is £719. How the price gap is this big is beyond me; I know import tax & shipping must add on some costs but certainly not almost £150 per unit.
Original post by Tempest II
The UK has been ripped off for the costs of electronics for years when compared to the US, although I do think consumers in the rest of EU also get a raw deal regardless of exchange rates.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/iphone-7-price-how-much-will-apple-s-new-iphone-cost--1328097

$769 which should mean that, even at the current weakened exchange rate, we'd pay £576. However, instead the UK price is £719. How the price gap is this big is beyond me; I know import tax & shipping must add on some costs but certainly not almost £150 per unit.

yes and this will get worse, being part of the EU we had much better bargaining power. No our influence is diminished
Original post by Tempest II

Mostly import taxes, the EU don't like admitting they're **** in certain sectors so try to price the US out of the market

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest