The Student Room Group

Work experience - Law students

I'm planning to apply for Law and I was wondering what other 2017 applicants have done for work experience? I have only done some helping out at a school and a shop. Not too relevant to Law I guess but I have sat at the courts.
Reply 1
bump?
Reply 2
I got two weeks at a law firm but have done other voluntary stuff as well
Reply 3
Original post by EmilyP2016
I'm planning to apply for Law and I was wondering what other 2017 applicants have done for work experience? I have only done some helping out at a school and a shop. Not too relevant to Law I guess but I have sat at the courts.

You don't have to do any work experience. Just relate the things you've done to law. For example you could say you've looked at the data protection act in detail (it relates to the shop because you may be taking someones card details) etc.

But i have done some law work experience i worked with an area manager in a national care company and she basically talked me through a lot of the employment and business law. And i got to apply it with her and help with all the documents :h:.
Reply 4
Original post by BR1999
You don't have to do any work experience. Just relate the things you've done to law. For example you could say you've looked at the data protection act in detail (it relates to the shop because you may be taking someones card details) etc.

But i have done some law work experience i worked with an area manager in a national care company and she basically talked me through a lot of the employment and business law. And i got to apply it with her and help with all the documents :h:.

Oh that's a good idea. I just hope that talking about the transferable skills will be enough, especially when talking about it in the personal statement.
Reply 5
Oh that's a good idea. I just hope that talking about the transferable skills will be enough, especially when talking about it in the personal statement.

Just relate things to law and say why it will help you study the degree. I adopted this structure throughout my statement and my tutor really likes it. :smile:

Don't talk about transferable skills (or do so sparingly) - give examples of specific times when you've DEMONSTRATED skills relevant to law (and remember that your PS is an exercise in persuasive and concise writing).

Have a read of
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Writing_a_Personal_Statement_for_Law
http://university.which.co.uk/advice/personal-statements/personal-statement-advice-law-students
and
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2017/law.pdf (although remember Bristol put much more emphasis on your hobbies than most universities)

And use the TSR PS builder to help you draft your statement.

Quick Reply

Latest