The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS math grades 2016

Hi,
I just completed my As levels in summer, and did edexcel maths. I took C1, C2 and S1, and received B,C and A.
I would say I'm pretty good at math, good enough to not receive a C, especially in C2, the paper I thought went well.... I even topped the mock exams for C2, so I really don't know what happened. A recheck was requested and they added only 1 mark :frown: (the result was delivered literally the next day)
Are there any of you that have gone through this? Cuz I really can't understand how I managed to get a C....
Original post by Nemeo
Hi,
I just completed my As levels in summer, and did edexcel maths. I took C1, C2 and S1, and received B,C and A.
I would say I'm pretty good at math, good enough to not receive a C, especially in C2, the paper I thought went well.... I even topped the mock exams for C2, so I really don't know what happened. A recheck was requested and they added only 1 mark :frown: (the result was delivered literally the next day)
Are there any of you that have gone through this? Cuz I really can't understand how I managed to get a C....

Hi Nemeo

You've had a few disappointing exams, and feel like you could and should have done a lot better given the work you put in. This is absolutely normal, and is an experience most people will have also been through to some degree - especially those applying to universities like Oxford, with high entry requirements. I was certainly disappointed with my B in AS Physics a few years ago.

You say you don't understand how you managed to get a C in C2. It may be worth ordering a copy of your marked script if you haven't already, if you feel it's important that you fully understand what mistakes you made in order to move on. However, the key thing here is to not let it get to you. An overall B at AS maths isn't going to affect your application too much, but if you use it as an excuse to not try as hard in the future, it will.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TheMadScientist
Hi Nemeo

You've had a few disappointing exams, and feel like you could and should have done a lot better given the work you put in. This is absolutely normal, and is an experience most people will have also been through to some degree - especially those applying to universities like Oxford, with high entry requirements. I was certainly disappointed with my B in AS Physics a few years ago.

You say you don't understand how you managed to get a C in C2. It may be worth ordering a copy of your marked script if you haven't already, if you feel it's important that you fully understand what mistakes you made in order to move on. However, the key thing here is to not let it get to you. An overall B at AS maths isn't going to affect your application too much, but if you use it as an excuse to not try as hard in the future, it will.

Thanks for being so encouraging, yeah I am still working on studies... I guess it was a let down since all my classmates got AAB or higher...
As for the marked script, isn't there some rule that doesn't allow both a recheck and script access?
Also, should I be considering a retake?
Once again, thanks, there's been a ton of stress over this lately, and you've helped me feel better.
Original post by Nemeo
Thanks for being so encouraging, yeah I am still working on studies... I guess it was a let down since all my classmates got AAB or higher...
As for the marked script, isn't there some rule that doesn't allow both a recheck and script access?
Also, should I be considering a retake?
Once again, thanks, there's been a ton of stress over this lately, and you've helped me feel better.

No problem, I'm glad I could help.

Regarding the marked script, as far as I'm aware your school should be able to get a copy of your script if requested before 4 October, although they might have already requested one along with the remark. Check with your maths teacher or Exams Officer.

If you're keeping maths to A2 and have the option to retake C1/C2, it's definitely worth it. For one, C3 and C4 build quite a lot on C1 and C2, so the extra year of study would make C1 and C2 a lot easier even before any extra revision.

Good luck!
Original post by TheMadScientist
No problem, I'm glad I could help.

Regarding the marked script, as far as I'm aware your school should be able to get a copy of your script if requested before 4 October, although they might have already requested one along with the remark. Check with your maths teacher or Exams Officer.

If you're keeping maths to A2 and have the option to retake C1/C2, it's definitely worth it. For one, C3 and C4 build quite a lot on C1 and C2, so the extra year of study would make C1 and C2 a lot easier even before any extra revision.

Good luck!

C1 and C2 were quite tricky papers this year and big improvements are possible in these modules. You may find C3 and C4 tough going especially early on - but keep your motivation high and take a look at past posts on TSR as a lot of students who ended up with the grades they needed didn't find Maths plain sailing.

Our general advice is always to discuss re-takes with teachers but it looks to us that re-taking C1 and C2 is they way to go assuming you are proceeding to A2.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks everyone... I'm continuing to work on math :smile:
Hopefully things turn out better...
The one thing I did notice in my class, though, is that students who barely paid attention or did anything in class/homework got the better grades... Obviously I'm not adopting that ideology :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest