The Student Room Group

Accounting and Management or Business Management at Queen Mary University of London

I am hoping to go into some kind of financial services role after graduating from university - possibly operations within IB, or possibly accounting etc...
Which degree would you recommend I take out of the two listed above in order to get a good job within finance/IB/accountancy/consulting
Also please could I have general tips on how to start getting an understanding of these industries as I currently have no idea about them - any book recommendations? Read the FT? Websites?
Thank you.
Original post by snoopyx
I am hoping to go into some kind of financial services role after graduating from university - possibly operations within IB, or possibly accounting etc...
Which degree would you recommend I take out of the two listed above in order to get a good job within finance/IB/accountancy/consulting
Also please could I have general tips on how to start getting an understanding of these industries as I currently have no idea about them - any book recommendations? Read the FT? Websites?
Thank you.

It quite literally doesn't matter but accounting will help if you want to go into IBD

Read the FAQ, search google, look out for the vault guide and wetfeet guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by snoopyx
Thank you.

Join the IBD forum. From what I've read it doesn't matter which degree you obtain but which Uni you go to , what grade you get, do loads of extra cuircualr stuff, apply for internships at Uni etc...

Accountancy doesn't require a specific degree whatsoever
Reply 3
If you're considering accounting as a career, why not do the degree? The two courses are pretty similar so you might as well go for accounting. For IB operations you'll be fine with either degree.
Original post by Trapz99
If you're considering accounting as a career, why not do the degree? The two courses are pretty similar so you might as well go for accounting. For IB operations you'll be fine with either degree.

Which degree do you think it will be easier to get a 2.1 in?
in terms of accounting, once you understand and practice the topics and exam questions, is it quite easy to do well, a bit like maths a level - I just went through the textbooks, understood the topics and practised them all thoroughly.
With business management will there be a lot of reading involved and critical analysis?
Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by snoopyx
Which degree do you think it will be easier to get a 2.1 in?
in terms of accounting, once you understand and practice the topics and exam questions, is it quite easy to do well, a bit like maths a level - I just went through the textbooks, understood the topics and practised them all thoroughly.
With business management will there be a lot of reading involved and critical analysis?
Thanks

I don't know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending