The Student Room Group

What do you think of muslims who pray at work ?

I work and there a few other muslims there, and we use the pray room as we do when it is time to pray, however the prayer room has moved, now we pray where everyone can see us, like on the side. However I just wanted to know if someone took a break from there work, and you saw them praying the way you do. What do you think of it ?

I work in a customer service call centre.

Scroll to see replies

Personally I wouldn't care. It's religious freedom. However, if it were me praying, I'd rather have the prayer space somewhere private, not where the masses can watch. I think it's a private thing, to pray, and should be between yourself and your God.
That's just me though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by redleader1
I work and there a few other muslims there, and we use the pray room as we do when it is time to pray, however the prayer room has moved, now we pray where everyone can see us, like on the side. However I just wanted to know if someone took a break from there work, and you saw them praying the way you do. What do you think of it ?

I work in a customer service call centre.

As long as it doesn't prevent you doing the same amount of work, there should be absolutely no problem, and if there is, I would suggest that that amounts to discrimination.

Personally, though I wouldn't share your particular religious convictions, I would have no problem whatsoever, and be impressed at your commitment to your faith and your discipline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im not against religion (few exceptions mind), but I do think praying is the activity of silly bastards. Like me for instance. I tried praying once and it turned out that I was only talking to myself. Now either I am god or I was a silly bastard. Not being able to summon storms or split oceans I came to this conclusion. Believing in gods or some sort of deity is as silly as believing in santa clause or some of the crap I sometimes come out with.
Original post by Laomedeia
Im not against religion (few exceptions mind), but I do think praying is the activity of silly bastards. Like me for instance. I tried praying once and it turned out that I was only talking to myself. Now either I am god or I was a silly bastard. Not being able to summon storms or split oceans I came to this conclusion. Believing in gods or some sort of deity is as silly as believing in santa clause or some of the crap I sometimes come out with.

Atheist logic: God (as far as I can tell) didn't answer my prayer, therefore he doesn't exist.

Wow, that's new levels of woeful reasoning I hadn't seen before. Well done. Perhaps he answered it in a way you didn't realise, perhaps the prayer would have actually been damaging, perhaps it would have deprived people of their free will, perhaps it doesn't fit with God's plan. How many responses do you want?

I would also add that it's a category error to compare God to santa claus - santa claus is within the universe, God is external of it. Santa's existence would be accessible via the scientific method, God's is not. Don't make that mistake again. Santa can be disproved, God cannot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SunnysideSea
Atheist logic: God (as far as I can tell) didn't answer my prayer, therefore he doesn't exist.

Wow, that's new levels of woeful reasoning I hadn't seen before. Well done.

I would also add that it's a category error to compare God to santa claus - santa claus is within the universe, God is external of it. Santa's existence is accessible via the scientific method, God's is not. Don't make that mistake again. Santa can be disproved, God's cannot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK so god exists, but he/she/it is blatantly ignorant.

Also I am a 21 year old virgin. I am a virgin because I really am ugly which I accept. This is just logical and its what I use to form all my beliefs.
(edited 7 years ago)

Wow, that's new levels of woeful reasoning I hadn't seen before. Well done.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. That's not atheistic logic. Religious people have made a claim that god exists. Atheists simply say prove it. Religious people typically reply, "Well prove he doesn't exit" or "Look at the trees, look at the butterflies. Look how beautiful the world is." This couldn't have happened without god".

Perhaps he answered it in a way you didn't realise, perhaps the prayer would have actually been damaging, perhaps it would have deprived people of their free will, perhaps it doesn't fit with God's plan. How many responses do you want?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But he's god (allegedly). He can answer in a way that is understandable and not harmful. Otherwise, as the hulk says, "PUNY GOD".

I would also add that it's a category error to compare God to santa claus - santa claus is within the universe, God is external of it. Santa's existence is accessible via the scientific method, God's is not. Don't make that mistake again. Santa can be disproved, God's cannot.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. There's more evidence for santa than god.

And to answer the question. When I was in work, we had a prayer room. Nobody cared whether someone was praying as long as it didn't interfere with work and the time spent in prayer was made up at the end of the day.
(edited 7 years ago)
Posted from TSR Mobile

No. Atheist logic: Show me God, and I will agree that he exists. Otherwise, he is just a figment of many peoples' imaginations.

As for praying at work - if you must. But I kind of put it in the same category as smoking breaks. As long as the same amount of work amongst similar workers is done in a manner suitable to management or the business, then live and let live.
Reply 8
Much better than people having smoke breaks. I used to work in a place where people didn't clock out to go on smoke breaks along with management and non smokers were left under so much on their own..
Reply 9
Santa's existence is accessible via the scientific method, God's is not. Don't make that mistake again. Santa can be disproved, God's cannot.

Wtf? :lolwut:

Santa exists! :mad:
Original post by Josb
Wtf? :lolwut:

Santa exists! :mad:

The question of his existence is accessible via the scientific method. Do I have to spell everything out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Wouldn't care, though I'd rather it be somewhere private simply because it might make me feel kinda awkward? Seems a private thing to me - not that I've ever done it. But then that might be simply because I've no exposure to it. If you worked in my office I'd get used to it probably so it wouldn't be so awkward.

Regarding time lost to praying: Smokers take fag breaks throughout the day and everyone looses some time to the almighty google in my office. I wouldn't care. I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of quite time to think would improve productivity a lot more than the time it takes to do - whether that's praying or going for a walk.
Reply 12
Original post by Hanvyj
Wouldn't care, though I'd rather it be somewhere private simply because it might make me feel kinda awkward? Seems a private thing to me - not that I've ever done it. But then that might be simply because I've no exposure to it. If you worked in my office I'd get used to it probably so it wouldn't be so awkward.

Regarding time lost to praying: Smokers take fag breaks throughout the day and everyone looses some time to the almighty google in my office. I wouldn't care. I wouldn't be surprised if a bit of quite time to think would improve productivity a lot more than the time it takes to do - whether that's praying or going for a walk.

Good points! I notice you say you work in an office environment also. Call centers and other office environments can put immense pressure on the workforce. Perhaps since most people are not 100% productive praying could be good to clear some peoples heads and it could be like meditation which could help improve a work place environment and organisational culture :smile: I'm not saying everyone should pray lol
Employers should not be forced to provide prayer rooms nor should they be obliged to allow time out of work hours for prayer.
Reply 14
Original post by Dec019
Good points! I notice you say you work in an office environment also. Call centers and other office environments can put immense pressure on the workforce. Perhaps since most people are not 100% productive praying could be good to clear some peoples heads and it could be like meditation which could help improve a work place environment and organisational culture :smile: I'm not saying everyone should pray lol

Yeah, offices encompass such a wide range of 'office' cultures. My work is generally 'skilled' (software development), so I'm not measured on the kinds of targets that drive workplaces like call-centers.

I often turn up at 9:30, and work until the work is done. Some others turn up at 8am and leave an hour and a half before me.

If I took a two hour lunch as long as there wasn't a meeting I had to be in no one would blink an eye - provided when the software release happens I've put the time in overall to make it work and I'm not doing it every day.

Callcenters are completely different! I've heard of bathroom breaks being monitored. I'm not sure I could handle that kind of pace.
They should be allowed. It's something they must do and praying won't do any harm
They should definitely be allowed to do so. As a Christian, prayer is an important part of life and I don't think employers should discourage prayer. Muslim prayers don't last that long anyway, it won't exactly change how they work.
I don't see an issue with it at all.
Reply 18
The question of his existence is accessible via the scientific method. Do I have to spell everything out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please disprove Santa with the "scientific method".
Original post by Josb
Please disprove Santa with the "scientific method".

I would merely have to point to the lack of any physical evidence left by him, like footprints in people's fireplaces. I cannot do the same for God as He is not within the universe. Easy.

This is a proof as far as science goes, though, of course, philosophically science never proves anything (think Bertrand Russell's story of the turkey before Christmas)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending