The Student Room Group

Are these good options??

Hello,
I've currently started doing my GCSEs courses and I've already started to regret what I've taken.
I feel like I haven't challenged myself enough and I don't know if these options are going to get me into a good job.

I've taken

Geography
Art
Business studies
Computing

I was taking French instead of business studies but I hate French and decided not to do it.

I'd just like your opinions on these options, thanks!
Your A Level choices are more important than your GCSEs. As long as your GCSE options allow you to take the A Levels you want, then they're fine. Some unis like UCL require a language GCSE, but the majority don't, so don't worry about not taking French. Don't pick subjects you hate as you're less likely to do well in them :smile:
Original post by Lillybellee
Hello,
I've currently started doing my GCSEs courses and I've already started to regret what I've taken.
I feel like I haven't challenged myself enough and I don't know if these options are going to get me into a good job.

I've taken

Geography
Art
Business studies
Computing

I was taking French instead of business studies but I hate French and decided not to do it.

GCSE's are just a stepping stone to a levels. Jobs don't really look at your GCSE grades that much only really maths and English. They are good options, they show you are an all rounded person. From my experience so not pick subjects you hate for GCSE!! You will end up doing worse as you won't want to put the work into them. As long as you can do your a levels you want they are fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

I've taken

Geography
Art
Business studies
Computing

No university really gives a damn what your GCSEs are. Just make sure you have English lit, Lang, maths and double science.
Reply 4
Hello,

I've taken

Geography
Art
Business studies
Computing

You probably won't even list your GCSEs when you apply for a job! Go for subjects you enjoy - it looks like you have a good mix of exam and coursework with computing and art, and your options leave your A Level choices quite open. I'd say they're good choices, but if you're really hating one at the end of the two weeks there's still plenty of time to change.
Reply 5
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
No university really gives a damn what your GCSEs are. Just make sure you have English lit, Lang, maths and double science.

Ah okay, I'm currently doing triple science and in top sets for maths and English so it should be all good.
Reply 6
Original post by amyjf
GCSE's are just a stepping stone to a levels. Jobs don't really look at your GCSE grades that much only really maths and English. They are good options, they show you are an all rounded person. From my experience so not pick subjects you hate for GCSE!! You will end up doing worse as you won't want to put the work into them. As long as you can do your a levels you want they are fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by Leviathan1741
Your A Level choices are more important than your GCSEs. As long as your GCSE options allow you to take the A Levels you want, then they're fine. Some unis like UCL require a language GCSE, but the majority don't, so don't worry about not taking French. Don't pick subjects you hate as you're less likely to do well in them :smile:

I have no idea what I'm going to take for A-levels, I haven't really thought that far.
I have no idea what I'm going to take for A-levels, I haven't really thought that far.

You've got a good mix of subjects, so your A Level choices should be fairly open when you do come to make them :smile:
Reply 9
they sound brilliant! all i can say is that the grade boundaries for art are exceptionally high. so, make sure that you work very hard in that subject. it is like 90% for an A and 97% for an A*. correct me if i am wrong though, as i am referring to two years ago. but, i doubt that they would have decreased a lot.

however, good luck, you will be absolutely brilliant!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by ?Hannah
they sound brilliant! all i can say is that the grade boundaries for art are exceptionally high. so, make sure that you work very hard in that subject. it is like 90% for an A and 97% for an A*. correct me if i am wrong though, as i am referring to two years ago. but, i doubt that they would have decreased a lot.

however, good luck, you will be absolutely brilliant!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw thank you! I didn't realise how high those grade boundaries are, I'll make sure I work very hard in that subject!
Aw thank you! I didn't realise how high those grade boundaries are, I'll make sure I work very hard in that subject!

no problem, you seem like a dedicated student! yes, the high grade boundaries are the main reason why i didn't take art for GCSE. i am sure that you are brilliant at art, but, i wasn't nearly as good as my peers, plus i didn't do much drawing and art in my free time! my teacher wanted me to do it though... however, i just didn't think that i would be good enough to meet those high grade boundaries!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest