The Student Room Group

Not able to do my 4th subject :(

I am doing biology, maths and chemistry at sixth form for A-Level. I also really wanted to do RS as I wanted to have an AS level, and also an essay based subject as I have been advised that this is a very good type of subject to have. I got 11A*'s at GCSE so have been encouraged to do 4 subjects in the first year, but my only real options are history (which I hate and didn't do at GCSE) and physics (I don't want to do all 3 sciences and this isn't an essay-based subject anyway). So my question is would I be at a disadvantage applying to a top university to do medicine or biomedical sciences without an AS Level, and without an essay based subject. Will an AS Level affect my chances, or my UCAS points and is it worth really trying to be able to do RS?
I am also doing an EPQ and general studies butI know these aren't accepted by many top universities. Thank you :smile:
My brother is doing medicine and he didnt do an essay based subject. Just pick something you enjoy and get a good grade in it :smile:
Many medical schools are no longer looking at AS Levels for this year's applicants so it definitely won't put you at a disadvantage. A lot of them aren't bothered about essay subjects either, they'd rather you had the sciences/maths (most require at least 2) and if your essay subject was at AS Level it wouldn't be considered anyway.
Physics AS is pretty interesting and crosses over with your other subjects quite a lot though so I'd go for that if you wanted to do 4.
Reply 3
Original post by poppyb787
Many medical schools are no longer looking at AS Levels for this year's applicants so it definitely won't put you at a disadvantage. A lot of them aren't bothered about essay subjects either, they'd rather you had the sciences/maths (most require at least 2) and if your essay subject was at AS Level it wouldn't be considered anyway.
Physics AS is pretty interesting and crosses over with your other subjects quite a lot though so I'd go for that if you wanted to do 4.

Thank you, how hard is physics? I feel like it would be too much doing all 3 sciences, maths, general studies as well as EPQ.
Reply 4
Original post by Chief_98
My brother is doing medicine and he didnt do an essay based subject. Just pick something you enjoy and get a good grade in it :smile:

Okay thankyou, where is your brother studying if you don't mind me asking? I do enjoy RS but all of the possible subjects I could do are ones that I really dislike so that's why I don't want to do them :s-smilie:
Original post by jazz_xox_
Okay thankyou, where is your brother studying if you don't mind me asking? I do enjoy RS but all of the possible subjects I could do are ones that I really dislike so that's why I don't want to do them :s-smilie:

My brother is going Barts.... just do something you really enjoy or easy so you can drop it and get a good grade :smile:
With the new a level courses they are linear so the exams are at the end of 2 years (with the exception of a couple). At our school they strongly advise us to do 3, even if you got really good GCSE grades. Unis only ask for 3 a level grades anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Due to the new A levels universities don't actually look at AS levels at all they look at GCSEs and predicted grades so not doing an AS wouldn't be a problem. In terms of EPQ universities really love it because it demonstrates a candidates ability to write essays at dissertation level so even if they don't technically except it they still like it.
No point doing something you hate just for the sake of doing 4.
Original post by jazz_xox_
Thank you, how hard is physics? I feel like it would be too much doing all 3 sciences, maths, general studies as well as EPQ.

Physics is difficult but no more than any other subject as far as I can tell - all A Levels are challenging. If you are scientifically minded you may well find it easier than other subjects, especially when all your subjects complement each other. I don't know how difficult it is to combine essay/science subjects as I do physics, chemistry and biology (maths AS) but I do think that doing them all actually helps develop you as a scientist, at least that's what I've found! If you do M1 in maths you have a whole topic of physics done for you as well.
Don't stress about gen studies, absolutely no university cares, especially not for medical applicants - you might be able to talk your way out of going to GS lessons (if you have them timetabled) on the basis of being a medical applicant so it's a waste of your time.
I didn't do the EPQ but I have found in researching for personal statement writing that doing a medical based one is really useful when writing your statement, other topics of research show you're an independent learner but not much else when applying to medicine so I would consider that when choosing your topic.
Good luck with Year 12, I'm sure you'll be fine with those GCSEs!
Reply 10
Original post by poppyb787
Physics is difficult but no more than any other subject as far as I can tell - all A Levels are challenging. If you are scientifically minded you may well find it easier than other subjects, especially when all your subjects complement each other. I don't know how difficult it is to combine essay/science subjects as I do physics, chemistry and biology (maths AS) but I do think that doing them all actually helps develop you as a scientist, at least that's what I've found! If you do M1 in maths you have a whole topic of physics done for you as well.
Don't stress about gen studies, absolutely no university cares, especially not for medical applicants - you might be able to talk your way out of going to GS lessons (if you have them timetabled) on the basis of being a medical applicant so it's a waste of your time.
I didn't do the EPQ but I have found in researching for personal statement writing that doing a medical based one is really useful when writing your statement, other topics of research show you're an independent learner but not much else when applying to medicine so I would consider that when choosing your topic.
Good luck with Year 12, I'm sure you'll be fine with those GCSEs!

Thank you for the help! Yes I think I would be able to manage physics but I really don't think I would enjoy it so I guess my physics work would be pushed to the bottom of the pile every night. I'll have a think about if to do an AS, and no I am doing maths statistics as biology is my priority and there is overlap here.
Thanks for your info about gen studies and EPQ, and good luck to you too! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest