The Student Room Group

Not received grands for foundation year

So basically I am starting a 4 years IT course including foundation year which according to my university website costs additional £6000.

I just realised that there is only £9000 tuition fee loan and my maintenance loan.

Is it wrong? Should I ring SFE asap to sort this out as it should be £15000 in total, shouldn't it?

And isn't the date of first payment a little bit late?

Thanks in advance!

123.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by n0stie
So basically I am starting a 4 years IT course including foundation year which according to my university website costs additional £6000.

I just realised that there is only £9000 tuition fee loan and my maintenance loan.

Is it wrong? Should I ring SFE asap to sort this out as it should be £15000 in total, shouldn't it?

And isn't the date of first payment a little bit late?

Thanks in advance!

123.jpg

SFE wont pay more than £9k pa towards tuition fees. If your university is charging more than this then you'll need to speak to them about payment agreements to fund the extra out of your own pocket. Usually there will be information on the university websites about how and when they expect you to fund the extra tuition fees.
The date of the tuition fee is set by the uni. They know the majority will be using student finance to fund it.
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
SFE wont pay more than £9k pa towards tuition fees. If your university is charging more than this then you'll need to speak to them about payment agreements to fund the extra out of your own pocket. Usually there will be information on the university websites about how and when they expect you to fund the extra tuition fees.

I obviously do not have £6000 to pay from my own pocket. I thought this will be funded as well as a part of 4 year course.
Original post by n0stie
I obviously do not have £6000 to pay from my own pocket. I thought this will be funded as well as a part of 4 year course.

Speak to the university concerned - you may have misunderstood the costs (and that actually the foundation year is only £6k in fees - in which case you'll need to update SFE about the change in fees for this year) or they might have alternative funding options available.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Speak to the university concerned - you may have misunderstood the costs (and that actually the foundation year is only £6k in fees - in which case you'll need to update SFE about the change in fees for this year) or they might have alternative funding options available.

Should I ring SFE and ask for additional £6000 or should I ring my university for alternative funding options? They might not know that I do not have funds to cover the foundation year. Can my application be cancelled because of it?
Original post by n0stie
Should I ring SFE and ask for additional £6000 or should I ring my university for alternative funding options? They might not know that I do not have funds to cover the foundation year. Can my application be cancelled because of it?

Which university is this and where do they state on their website that they charge £15k for the foundation year?

SFE can't help you with this - you need to clear up with the university first what tuition fees they're charging - once you understand that THEN you might need to contact SFE.
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
Which university is this and where do they state on their website that they charge £15k for the foundation year?

SFE can't help you with this - you need to clear up with the university first what tuition fees they're charging - once you understand that THEN you might need to contact SFE.

It is £6k for foundation year, £15k total (£6k + £9k)

Here is a link to a course:

https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduates/2016/computer-studies-with-foundation-year-bsc
Original post by n0stie
It is £6k for foundation year, £15k total (£6k + £9k)

Here is a link to a course:

https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses/undergraduates/2016/computer-studies-with-foundation-year-bsc

Reading that, you've misunderstood. Your foundation year (year 0) is £6000. All other years are the full fees.

Nowhere does it say they charge £15000 for one year of study.
Reply 9
Original post by Tiger Rag
Reading that, you've misunderstood. Your foundation year (year 0) is £6000. All other years are the full fees.

Nowhere does it say they charge £15000 for one year of study.

So does it mean that they will charge £6k so there will be £3k left for first year?

It clearly says foundation year as a course title, shouldn't they just give me £6k instead of £9k? I am so confused.
Original post by n0stie
So does it mean that they will charge £6k so there will be £3k left for first year?

It clearly says foundation year as a course title, shouldn't they just give me £6k instead of £9k? I am so confused.

The SLC will only pay them £6k - you need to notify SFE that your tuition fee loan for this year should only be £6k.
Reply 11
Original post by PQ
The SLC will only pay them £6k - you need to notify SFE that your tuition fee loan for this year should only be £6k.

I'll ring them tomorrow morning.

Thanks for advices, really appreciated.

Quick Reply