The Student Room Group

2 a levels instead of 3

Thinking of doing 2 A levels as not the brightest spark in the box, would this be possible, aiming for a c.
Reply 1
Most unis won't accept that. And most sixth forms won't let you take 2.
Original post by emilymoran123
Thinking of doing 2 A levels as not the brightest spark in the box, would this be possible, aiming for a c.

Generally as far as I know, many institutions require 3 A Levels instead of 2 (not sure 100%) but yeah, you may check out for a Uni which does. What subjects though?
It depends on your college or sixth form. Many don't allow it because it doesn't help you in terms of employability. It may be possible for you to do 2 full A levels and 1 or 2 AS levels? People did something similar last year when I was doing A levels but A levels have changed now so I don't know if it still applies.
there are a couple of uni's that accept two A-levels but i cant remember their names. also if you can do two A2's and an AS that will make it better in the long run.
Reply 5
I did 2 A-Levels - in that I took 3 because I had to, scraped a pass in AS Maths so I could continue to A2 and then let myself get a U so I could focus on the other 2 because I was working full-time at the same time. It worked, I got an A & a B, but, whilst I'm sure it helped my CV I would only put that down to the fact I got high grades (at the time A* wasn't a thing), and unis then and now won't accept them.

*So honestly I wouldn't recommend it,

There are other Level 3 qualifications you can look at. Is your goal to get into university eventually or be a competitive candidate on the job market without a degree? (because you don't NEED one for a high percentage of jobs - experience and evidence of commitment to a post is better and the quicker you can start to build up some work history)*

*It really depends on what you want to do, but you don't need to take A-Levels to go to university. There are alternatives.

I would suggest speaking to somebody at your school/6th form about your options*
Reply 6

More details please

Maybe if you're doing a BTEC or similar on the side? Most unis will want 3, or maybe 1/2 with some BTECs, and most sixth forms will require you to take at least 3.
One of my close friend did 3 alevels and English retake,she dropped product design and carried on with Art and photography. She finally passed her English,got an A in Art and C in photography and she got accepted to an Art uni.
I was thinking of doing sociology and psychology and I did btec media last year and got a pp, which is not the best, I only did work in class, barley did any work outside class . So I thought I may do 2 a levels as I am not clever enough to do 3

Quick Reply

Latest