The Student Room Group

Failing Engligh GCSE?

I'm currently in year 10 and next year I take my English GCSE. In my last exam, I got a D. I am at a grammer school and usually a high achiever - My usual grades are A-A* and sometimes Bs, so you can imagine I was upset with a D.

English Literature is my main issue. There were two questions on the paper:

1) Explore how Bronte presents Jane's feelings about St John in this extract. Give examples from the extract to support your ideas (20 marks)

2) In this extract, Jane Eyre reflects on St John's treatment of Rosemond Oliver. Explain how the treatment of women is portrayed elsewhere in the novel.
In your answer, you must consider:
-How at least 2 women are treated in this novel
-The effect of this on Jane.

I've gone through it and read the teacher's comments and seen where I've gone wrong, and also done some targets she set me (e.g. rewriting paragraphs making sure I...) I have also rewritten both answers at home and next week I intend to ask the teacher to mark them for me so I know how to improve and go to drop-ins to as for help, however I'm worried because my score was very low considering the school I'm in.

How would you suggest I can improve my grades?

Also, what would you recommend for the layout of a 20 marker English Literature question? I assumed it was around 4 marks for a good PEA paragraph, so around 5 paragraphs, but I'm not sure because that sounds like a lot..

Thanks for any help :smile:
Heyy
I have just started year 11 and doing Jane eyre but is half way through it. I would say chapter 28 if am not mistaken but yes the best way to improve is obviously rewriting it and asking help from a teacher on how to improve and also for the structure I would recommend using Mr Bruff's videos as they are soo helpful and he explains in full detail.
Also try and use past papers that have got extracts from Jane eyre and am sure you'll get back to getting the grades you want.
Hope that helped:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Search up Mr Bruff on YouTube- it massively improved my English literature grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's ironic that you're failing English...and spelled it "Engligh"...
Original post by Naomeyz_01
Heyy
I have just started year 11 and doing Jane eyre but is half way through it. I would say chapter 28 if am not mistaken but yes the best way to improve is obviously rewriting it and asking help from a teacher on how to improve and also for the structure I would recommend using Mr Bruff's videos as they are soo helpful and he explains in full detail.
Also try and use past papers that have got extracts from Jane eyre and am sure you'll get back to getting the grades you want.
Hope that helped:colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you for this - I've just watched a view of Mr Bruff's videos and you're right - they're really good. Thanks, and good luck for year 11 :smile:
Original post by amyjf
Search up Mr Bruff on YouTube- it massively improved my English literature grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just did that and it was so useful - thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending