The Student Room Group

People are too harsh on paedophiles

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sleepysnooze
I think that people genuinely misunderstand that little girls sometimes completely do consent to sex with men who are *a lot* older than them. but that's biology for you - girls develop a lot earlier than boys so people assume that girls are as immature as they are. but people who *genuinely* manipulate children are evil. there's a stark difference between a early teen being sexually attracted to a famous music star/actor, and a little girl who is groomed and drugged into being attracted to some digusting old creep.

also, not all "children" are children in the fullest sense - paedophilia is attraction to children, but "ephebophilia" is the attraction to teens, which would technically go from 13-19 years old. if a 20-something year old guy was attracted to a 14/15 year old girl, for instace, I think it would be pure delusion to say that the girl didn't consent to whatever happened - it is unbelievably unscientific to claim that a 15 year old girl can't consent to sex - it's actually astonishing that somebody would seriously think that. it's like a kind of religious way of thinking about consent and sex - "consent" isn't given with the permission of a government; if you consent, then you consent. it's not complicated.

Christ.

Children aren't able to fully consent, they don't have the mental capacity to, regardless of how biologically developed they may seem. A 6 year old saying 'yes' is not consent. Are we for real here? :s-smilie:
Original post by Twinpeaks
Christ.

Children aren't able to fully consent, they don't have the mental capacity to, regardless of how biologically developed they may seem. A 6 year old saying 'yes' is not consent. Are we for real here? :s-smilie:

who said 6? :| I said 14/15 - I made the distinction between children and teenagers! for ****'s sake why not just read my post and you wouldn't make such a huge error like this! it's not difficult!
Nonce.
Reply 43
who said 6? :| I said 14/15 - I made the distinction between children and teenagers! for ****'s sake why not just read my post and you wouldn't make such a huge error like this! it's not difficult!

He doesn't read posts and makes assumptions to make a post to appeal to other stupid people
Original post by I am Kira
Because they're sexually attracted to children
and sexuality is the attraction to people or things
@Twinpeaks no I don't think its a praphilia, its a sexuality!

Do you have any evidence that paedophilia is a biological state of sexuality rather than a psychological disorder?

Paraphillia is a sexual attraction to things that deviate from cultural norm, including things that are illegal. Necrophilia is not a sexuality for example. They are also brought about by curiosities, obsessions, traumatic incidents etc.
Because they're sexually attracted to children
and sexuality is the attraction to people or things
@Twinpeaks no I don't think its a praphilia, its a sexuality!

Well perhaps you best get on with your undergraduate, PhD and get some research published to back up that unfounded claim. But until then, the academic literature, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders considers it to be a paraphilia. You somehow think you know better than all those researchers and clinicians? And from what, lay opinion, and idea completely plucked from your own head?

You seem to fail to realise that there have been many (although not enough) studies and research reviews on pedophilia. You're talking as if what you're saying is ground breaking, when it has been studied at expert level. So why don't you actually spend some time reading those papers, and form at least an educated opinion?
Reply 46
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
Do you have any evidence that paedophilia is a biological state of sexuality rather than a psychological disorder?

Paraphillia is a sexual attraction to things that deviate from cultural norm, including things that are illegal. Necrophilia is not a sexuality for example. They are also brought about by curiosities, obsessions, traumatic incidents etc.

How can I have evidence for that?
Really anything can be labelled as a disorder from another perspective
Homosexuality could be considered a disorder
Reply 47
Well perhaps you best get on with your undergraduate, PhD and get some research published to back up that unfounded claim. But until then, the academic literature, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders considers it to be a paraphilia. You somehow think you know better than all those researchers and clinicians? And from what, lay opinion, and idea completely plucked from your own head?

You seem to fail to realise that there have been many (although not enough) studies and research reviews on pedophilia. You're talking as if what you're saying is ground breaking, when it has been studied at expert level. So why don't you actually spend some time reading those papers, and form at least an educated opinion?

Lol my opinions aren't my own, they're from what I've read on research and articles.

You stated fourteen in your second paragraph when you were discussing the separate point of ephebophilia. In your first paragraph, I took it that you were responding to a thread specifically regarding pedophilia, and I was responding to the sentence-
"I think that people genuinely misunderstand that little girls sometimes completely do consent to sex with men who are *a lot* older than them"

In a thread about pedophilia, and considering your usage of 'little girls' it's not that unreasonable to assume you were discussing children. i wouldn't call a 14 year old a little girl. But I am relieved nonetheless.
Lol my opinions aren't my own, they're from what I've read on research and articles.

You don't even know what a paraphilia is. What research articles?

How can I have evidence for that? Really anything can be labelled as a disorder from another perspective Homosexuality could be considered a disorder
You can provide research evidence for it. You said you read in research articles, that pedophilia is a sexuality, not a paraphilia. So there's your answer- research articles. Which ones?

He doesn't read posts and makes assumptions to make a post to appeal to other stupid people

Why would you assume that a poster with Patsy Stone as their avatar is a male.
I've studied child sexual offending and pedophilia at university as part of my Psychology degree, so I'm not 'stupid' on the matter.
(edited 7 years ago)
You stated fourteen in your second paragraph when you were discussing the separate point of ephebophilia. In your first paragraph, I took it that you were responding to a thread specifically regarding pedophilia, and I was responding to the sentence-
"I think that people genuinely misunderstand that little girls sometimes completely do consent to sex with men who are *a lot* older than them"

In a thread about pedophilia, and considering your usage of 'little girls' it's not that unreasonable to assume you were discussing children. i wouldn't call a 14 year old a little girl. But I am relieved nonetheless.

okay then. fine. if it means so much then substitute "little girl" for something else. I mean, we still call 20 year old women "girls", so calling a 14 year old girl a "little" girl isn't that bad in retrospect.
if you're taking issue with my terminology when my whole message was filled with contrasts between children and teenagers, then it just gives the impression that youi just read the first line of my message, misunderstood it, then stopped reading, then wrote your message.
surely theyd still have a preference for boy children or girl children or both

Posted from TSR Mobile
okay then. fine. if it means so much then substitute "little girl" for something else. I mean, we still call 20 year old women "girls", so calling a 14 year old girl a "little" girl isn't that bad in retrospect.
if you're taking issue with my terminology when my whole message was filled with contrasts between children and teenagers, then it just gives the impression that youi just read the first line of my message, misunderstood it, then stopped reading, then wrote your message.

Fair enough. I'm glad I misunderstood you then. Although a fourteen year old still hasn't the mental capacity to consent. :tongue:
Fair enough. I'm glad I misunderstood you then. Although a fourteen year old still hasn't the mental capacity to consent. :tongue:

...okay but why though? what happens, specifically, at 16, biologically, for girls that causes them to suddenly have the "mental capacity" to consent to sex? I mean, the biological processes that are about sex and sexual development begin as early as 13 generally (usually earlier but I'm being conservative here so at not to say that all 12 year old girls can consent). so why 16? most girls, for instance, get their final breast size, and height, earlier than 16, and the *vast* (can't stress that word enough) majority of girls around 13 have started their periods, so why 16 of all ages?
Here I'm talking about paedophiles not child molesters, two different groups often put together by people.
Noone controls their sexuality, straight people don't choose to be attracted to the opposite gender, gays don't choose to be attracted to the same sex and of course paedophiles don't choose to be attraacted to children.
Loads of people assume that all paedophiles are child molester and all child molesters are paedophiles. While there are no statistics on this, not all paedophiles actually commit crimes on children. Also some child molesters aren't actually attracted to children.
Fear mongering and forming a mob mentality on a group of people who don't control their desires does not help anyone in anyway. Loadfs of research shows that a person is more likeloy to commit a crime when they are stressed.

Rather than directing so much hate on these people we should be openly trying to help them. We should have pschologists and doctors arranging mentoring and therapy for these people without fear of prosecution. If we really are part of a society we should be helping the people who fall not throw them to the ground.

I was raped when I was eleven. Yes, people can't help who they are attracted to, leave them alone. Do what you want unless it affects others. Same applies incest.
Reply 55
Original post by iamamarxist
I was raped when I was eleven. Yes, people can't help who they are attracted to, leave them alone. Do what you want unless it affects others. Same applies incest.

I'm sorry that happened to you:frown:
...okay but why though? what happens, specifically, at 16, biologically, for girls that causes them to suddenly have the "mental capacity" to consent to sex? I mean, the biological processes that are about sex and sexual development begin as early as 13 generally (usually earlier but I'm being conservative here so at not to say that all 12 year old girls can consent). so why 16? most girls, for instance, get their final breast size, and height, earlier than 16, and the *vast* (can't stress that word enough) majority of girls around 13 have started their periods, so why 16 of all ages?

(edited 7 years ago)

Because they're cognitive development does not perfectly align with their biological development. They may have breasts which make them look like women, but cognitively, emotionally, simply psychologically, they aren't women. Our brain is still developing into our early 20s. There are so many reasons as to why a 14 year old hasn't the decision making capacity that a 20 year old does.

Some girls start their period at 10, do you think that because they started their period, that they are psychologically more mature than their peers who've yet to? It doesn't work like that.
Original post by inspiringtop123
You're probably a closet paedo yourself if you actually condone their disgusting fantasies. They should be treated, not accepted.

Why do you assume they have fantasies. You are what is wrong with the attitude surrounding pedophilia.

Yes it's not nice but be mature about it. No one is saying they should be accepted
How can I have evidence for that?
Really anything can be labelled as a disorder from another perspective
Homosexuality could be considered a disorder

Ah, so it is your mere opinion and belief.

I suppose not all cases of homosexuality have an innate biological cause, this doesn't change the fact that homosexuality is legal (and culturally acceptable for the most part). The only reason it was made illegal is down to theological doctrine.

Expanding on this, why is it that you'd consciously put paedophilia on the level of a sexuality? Why not all of the paraphillias?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest