The Student Room Group

Best UK universities for law ?

Hi,
Since the UCAS applications are around the corner, I wanted to finalize my list of 5 universities for applying to the LLB programme (Bachelors in Law). My AS grades are 3 As in English Literature, History and Psychology and C in English Language (which I've sent for a recheck). Should I give the universities in the upper tier like UCL, King's and Durham a shot ?

This is my current list:

-King's
-Durham
-Warwick
-Edinburgh
-Bristol

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

The universities on your current list are all great. You can swap one for UCL if you wish, but bare in mind you'd then have 4 LNAT and 4 A*AA unis(I think)
Reply 2
Unless you want to only practice law in Scotland don't apply for Edinburgh.
Original post by teenhorrorstory
The universities on your current list are all great. You can swap one for UCL if you wish, but bare in mind you'd then have 4 LNAT and 4 A*AA unis(I think)

So which schools would be safer but still decent options in your opinion ? I think I should keep two safe options.
Reply 4
LSE and Queen Mary University do not require LNAT. Just not sure what their requirements are for A Levels. You should check their website, but I assume LSE is A*AA since its the 7th top uni. for Law
Original post by Hxaler
LSE and Queen Mary University do not require LNAT. Just not sure what their requirements are for A Levels. You should check their website, but I assume LSE is A*AA since its the 7th top uni. for Law

Yeah it is A*AA. I'll either keep one of LSE or UCL in my list though. Is Queen Mary a well reputed university?
Reply 6
Original post by gadgetmaniah
Yeah it is A*AA. I'll either keep one of LSE or UCL in my list though. Is Queen Mary a well reputed university?

In terms of Law, Queen Mary University is ranked 35th in the world. However, QM university as a whole is ranked 109 in the world, which is still not bad. In terms of "EUROPE" only, it is ranked number 10 for Law.
Give Oxford a shot, you might as well. You have 5 applications- use one on Oxford
Reply 8

Original post by Hxaler
In terms of Law, Queen Mary University is ranked 35th in the world. However, QM university as a whole is ranked 109 in the world, which is still not bad. In terms of "EUROPE" only, it is ranked number 10 for Law.

If I take English Literature and History for A Level, alongside Media studies - would Media Studies deter me from going into Law?
Reply 9
Original post by twhiddy
If I take English Literature and History for A Level, alongside Media studies - would Media Studies deter me from going into Law?

Universities don't have any subject requirements for law according to my research. I do IB and not A-Levels, so I cannot really say much regarding that. However, top universities say you should at least have one "essay" based subject which in your case, History and English Literature count as essay based subjects. I also heard that universities love History as it is quite a challenging subject to take and score very well in.
Original post by twhiddy

Not at all
Not at all

Thank you, it's just that I've been hearing that Media Studies is considered a soft subject or not a proper subject and Russell Group Unis wouldn't see me as a contender for Law. Many have suggested Economics or Politics but I'd rather have a subject I enjoy as a third choice and was scared it would be fatal for my application in future.

Original post by Hxaler
Universities don't have any subject requirements for law according to my research. I do IB and not A-Levels, so I cannot really say much regarding that. However, top universities say you should at least have one "essay" based subject which in your case, History and English Literature count as essay based subjects. I also heard that universities love History as it is quite a challenging subject to take and score very well in.

Thank you, I was worried that if I took up Media Studies it would be looked upon as a softer option.
Reply 12
Original post by twhiddy

Thank you, I was worried that if I took up Media Studies it would be looked upon as a softer option.

Oh yes, indeed I did hear about that before. I think it is because top universities are very competitive that some people think they would prefer to choose students who take harder subjects and achieve the same grade as students who take an easier subject. However, Law has nothing to do with school taught subjects that even if you take A-Level Law they would not care about it as it does not really represent the real studies behind Law if you know what I mean. Keep in mind however that they do not only consider your grades in the subjects you took, but your personal statement plays a vital role in your application process so make sure it is great because that is what is going to make you stand out from the rest of the applicants.
Best UK universities for law (imo):

Cambridge
Oxford
LSE
UCL
Durham
Original post by Hxaler
Oh yes, indeed I did hear about that before. I think it is because top universities are very competitive that some people think they would prefer to choose students who take harder subjects and achieve the same grade as students who take an easier subject. However, Law has nothing to do with school taught subjects that even if you take A-Level Law they would not care about it as it does not really represent the real studies behind Law if you know what I mean. Keep in mind however that they do not only consider your grades in the subjects you took, but your personal statement plays a vital role in your application process so make sure it is great because that is what is going to make you stand out from the rest of the applicants.

Thank you - I very much hope that it won't be considered a flaw in my application. I suppose I'll have to pass with flying colours for all the subjects to stand a good chance.
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Give Oxford a shot, you might as well. You have 5 applications- use one on Oxford

Well, I'm a bit divided on that since the number of applications is quite restricted. What's stopping me from giving it a shot is my GCSE result which was pretty average- 4 As (including 1 A*) 6 Bs. I'm not so sure how much priority is given to GCSEs, however.
Hi,
Since the UCAS applications are around the corner, I wanted to finalize my list of 5 universities for applying to the LLB programme (Bachelors in Law). My AS grades are 3 As in English Literature, History and Psychology and C in English Language (which I've sent for a recheck). Should I give the universities in the upper tier like UCL, King's and Durham a shot ?

This is my current list:

-King's
-Durham
-Warwick
-Edinburgh
-Bristol

Thanks in advance.

Don't apply to Edinburgh unless you want to be a lawyer only in Scotland - they don't offer a degree in English law, so you'd have to do the GDL to work in England, making your degree quite pointless! Those are otherwise good choices, just bear in mind that you don't really have an ideal insurance option; you could get AAB, which would potentially leave you without a place at university. Obviously you can hope for high grades, but, well, anything can happen. It might be worth choosing one option that asks for AAB, or applying to an insuring a university that asks for AAA but has been known to be lenient on results day - Sheffield and York come to mind for that.
Durham, UCL, LSE and Cambridge/Oxford are all very reputable but will be asking for high grades.
Bristol and York are good alternatives that don't ask for A*s and that are sometimes more lenient if you miss your offer :smile:
Well, I'm a bit divided on that since the number of applications is quite restricted. What's stopping me from giving it a shot is my GCSE result which was pretty average- 4 As (including 1 A*) 6 Bs. I'm not so sure how much priority is given to GCSEs, however.

Honestly out of your 4 other choices, one of them is definetly going to give you an offer, at least. You may as well give Oxford a short, worse thing that happens is they reject you, you may as will give it a try
Original post by Gingerbread101
Durham, UCL, LSE and Cambridge/Oxford are all very reputable but will be asking for high grades.
Bristol and York are good alternatives that don't ask for A*s and that are sometimes more lenient if you miss your offer :smile:

Has Oxford upped its standard offer? I thought it was AAA. :holmes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending